Round Two: The "Throwback" Trinity

Feoba    1,254

Ohh interesting taste ladies

Freaky Prince    33,475
Just now, rosie said:

I think I made a mistake for my trinity, and didn't fully understand this round. brit15

well hello lets celebrate that

WKodV9S.gif

Ghostface    7,653

Both George Michael and Candyman crossed my mind, so nice to see them in other people's entries. Also, @Feoba is still holding up well, but I can't be fast enough to check all of those this quick. 

Hyun.    30,128

Gre4dgq.png

Y'all asked for the judges to be harsh... and you got it! We love the drags in here! ari8

tomás

Spoiler

Divine
at first glance I felt like these songs would kinda be all over the place in terms of cohesion but in all honesty, they worked quite well! a good entry with a great explanation and for why each song is there and I'm loving the theme! could it be better though? gonna have to say yes! feel like it's missing that extra... something!

Infrared
this entry needs some refinement. Not sure if it really followed the theme and I feel like you weren’t exactly confident in your choices. It really was just all over the place. But not terrible. I’ll give you that. 

Maraj
You giving us a screenshot of the definition of nostalgia like us judges are stupid sent me. I do love that you stayed on brand and the theme of nostalgia. Thanks for the translation by the way, we really needed it.... lol. Next!

Ariana

Spoiler

Divine
I was getting into the classic 80s rock/pop vibes you were going with for the first two songs but the Lauryn Hill song is very out of place! we love her but that song kinda derailed the entry's cohesion tbh! what's even worse is the songs selected also weren't that great either! it was kind of a snooze, noah fence!

Infrared
cute entry. I wished there was more of a connection between the songs. I feel like I could shuffle on a dusty jukebox in the back of an old bar and these songs would pop up. Not groundbreaking, but not bad.

Maraj
Cute but very bland didn't really impress me much.

Freaky Prince

Spoiler

Divine
a cute entry! cute next to gorgeous! loving how each song is able to flow into one another despite the completely different artists. the song choices are excellent as well! I'm not the biggest Kylocal fan per say but I will admit that I bopped! the Grace Jones song was probably my favorite song in this trinity! nice work xx

Infrared

is funk the underdog these days? NYT just wrote an article about the return of funk and uptown funk is the biggest song this decade. I feel like with funk you can either go great or get lost in the corniness....and for here I’d go with the latter. Song choices were all a complete miss. Kylie song was god awful and the grace song slapped by I feel like it’s another genre as with the George Michael song. I had to double check with their genres were listed on the Internet because it just didn’t feel too much like funk.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/01/opinion/funk-music-returns.html

Maraj
Bitch you made me feel like I was in a whole different era which is a good thing. Songs were very similar sounding I mean of course it's funk! 

Feoba

Spoiler

Divine
yes ma'am! YES MA'AM! this is an excellent entry! the songs flow perfectly and the songs on their own are also incredible! I'm obsessed with the concept you went for as well! probably my favorite entry so far. granted I've only ranked four entries so far so will my opinion change? we shall see, oh yes!

Infrared
Great selection of songs. The reasoning behind it wasn’t that groundbreaking. These girls are doing too much...or too little to sell their concepts and I think this was a great middle ground.

Maraj
I promise you I didn't just like this entry because of the black woman theme, it's because you put lots of detail into your writing and you actually followed through with the theme. Good job.

Shiver

Spoiler

Divine
I'm not gonna lie, at first glance I was expecting this entry to be a disaster. arctic monkey's with audrey hepburn? ma'am.... but I was pleasantly surprised! the songs somehow fit very well with one another and I kinda stan the theme you went for!

Infrared
Ok the first song reminds me of that bland as fuck AM album but the song is a good highlight from that album and I definitely appreciate the holiday theme. 

Maraj
FESTIVE! OK! NEXT! Very nice to know you were a sucker for that time period, wish my old family members would've enjoyed them. Thanks Jim Crow!!!

mylifelies

Spoiler

Divine
this entry is the definition of inoffensive. it's just kind of... there! the songs are cute but don't really stand out much, there's not much of a description as to why you selected these songs, and overall I would probably skip if this were an actual playlist! not bad, not great or memorable either!

Infrared
not sure what you meant by TOM being reminiscent of the 2000s, especially given that it’s like a essential 80s track. Thank god someone finally mentioned the Beatles. I know ya’ll are disco bottoms, but there are so many big artists being glossed over. And also tame impala slapped but quite a statement to say it’d be one of the biggest songs of the 80s.....

Maraj
Very familiar with these songs and I can say you did a good job choosing them. Next time give me a little bit more detail on why you chose the songs you did.

Chris Morlock

Spoiler

Divine
ngl I kinda got bored of this entry! you had me with mr. cash because my grandpa used to always play his music and thus passed it down to me and my siblings but the rest of the entry is very... eh. feel like it's lacking in every department ngl! better luck next time!

Infrared
as a trinity, nothing really happened here for me but individually the songs were nice

Maraj
I was reading your lil description and busted out laughing bc this sentence, "When nobody fought and everyone got alone with each other" I know you meant along but lordddd I cried rea l tears. Oh but your entry? Yeah it was aight. NEXT!

CharnyBoy

Spoiler

Divine
maybe this is just me not being into this type of music but I really wasn't feeling this entry at all! the theme was cute and made sense which I think saved it for me but these songs weren't doing much! sorry!

Infrared
Ok, you totally nailed this. Singer-songwriter has always been my favorite parts of the 70s and 80s and I love how you described the different topics and didn’t choose one route.

Maraj
Ehhh... mehhh.... ok well the songs weren't really my cup of tea um BUT love a good theme.

loudliyah

Spoiler

Divine
not your description basically just saying "i chose these throwback songs because they are throwback songs!" girl... I would certainly hope so! dead2 feel like you just slapped some 80 s songs on to your entry and called it a day! the songs weren't that great either bar Time After Time so there's really no saving grace for this one! try harder!

Infrared
i liked this way more than I expected. I feel like everyone overdid the “nostalgia” idea...like very straight on to the point where I wanted a different perspective. The way you phrased it was a bit...basic...but the songs spoke for themselves and I definitely could place themselves in that time period. 

Maraj
Really cool but I was bored, I do love a good Cyndi Lauper moment and I appreciate that but even the way you described this was just eh. The lil pun was cute tho!

TattooedHeart

Spoiler

Divine
haven't had the chance to look at the other judges scores but I just know Maraj will be scoring this one high up on his list! this is kind of a playlist made for him! me however? depends! I liked the songs but don't really see myself going back to any of them after this is all said and done either! now I will say the theming and cohesion was there and that's probably the main reason why I liked this entry!

Infrared
Bitch!, you didn’t come to play. Not many people chose contemporary songs when they are so many songs sampling earlier genres. I’ve bee n especially excited to see how much R&B has evolved this decade, mixing with elements of electronic and dance to modernize electro funk and alternative r&b.

Maraj
A funk theme? Um.... I'm ALL for it. I know and really like all three songs, fuck you have good taste!

billie.

Spoiler

Divine

the sam smith song made me uncomfortable for some reason we-

however I did like this entry a lot! not really much else to say about that so.... let's move on!

Infrared
I feel like gays love to hype the return of disco every few years and think of it as some big comeback since Madonna did it once almost 2 decades ago (ok really 1.5) but I loved the mix of new and old...I just didn’t like the Sam Smith version when we have the original by the queen of disco.............

Maraj
I'm a sucker for disco and you did THAT with all three songs. I love that all three are very diverse and different like you went from Sam to Diana to SNSD and still followed the theme to perfection. Kudos to you!

Daenerys

Spoiler

Divine
love these classics yup yup yup! also loneliness, yes something so many fotp members (not me xx) can relate to! I like this entry quite a bit and feel like the lac k of cohesion wasn't really a problem here given it's theme and reasoning behind the selection of each song. I like it. but ONLY like.

Infrared
not much to say here. Just a random collection of songs. It’s a nice playlist but I wouldn’t think about it again.

Maraj
Ooooh loneliness, I am an expert at that but I'm bored with this one! Tell me how these songs show loneliness instead of throwing lyrics up to next to Whitney!

SWINE

Spoiler

Divine
you know I would really rather not think about madonna's flabby cheeks getting pounded while listening to these songs but yet... here we are thanks to you!

Infrared
Definition of weird flex, but ok. Not sure if the second song would work for a Madonna sex playlist but definitely we can Stan usher and salt and pepper. I loved r&b/90s new jack swing Madonna so those choices are appropriate.

Maraj
What in the Incredible Hulk, I already have bad vision a nd you trying to worsen it. But I must say I do love the songs you chose and they very strangely flowed together really well? I-

edwinfg

Spoiler

Divine
I... wasn't a fan of this at all. maybe it's because I've never been into this kind of music before or maybe it's because the entry felt slapped together without any real thought or care? you admitted you struggled this round and it shows! sorry! also thought this was a troll entry at first with that Paris song rip4

Infrared
I not sure if you read the part where the playlist was an ode to the 20th century....you’re still high on my playlist because the songs were there but follow directions next time.

Maraj
You saying you struggled to find "old people music" LMFAOOOO. I do really like your descriptions but I wish you would've gave more with Gimme More the MOST iconic song in your trinity got the blandest explanation! Wow!

rosie

Spoiler

Divine
c'mon classics! the songs fit perfectly together and flow nicely. the theme is there and the music choices are definitely 10/10! we stan

Infrared
is this that same Aaliyah Stan choosing the songs. In the future, we should explore more artists but if not, definitely a great tribute to the queens of the 90s. Definitely a decade of triumph amongst black women.

Maraj
Oh hell yeah first of all you made me feel like I was going through a hard time and neede d to hear that I was worth it. Love the story telling and the song choices! You did that sus!

Ghostface

Spoiler

Divine
I like how you incorporated a song from each decade and still found a way to make it work! it could have ended up very messy but it didn't! song selections were cute and the story was cute as well! overall, cute entry!

Infrared
ok if this is the same person from the last entry, this is definitely a step up in cohesiveness. You don’t need to go all out...sometimes I’d rather have short and straight to the point than a long winded thing but also I want to you to explore your creativity!

Maraj
Really liked the way you made the songs go from the loudest to the calmest. That's cute! Oh and loved the Sims 3 cameo on that NOVEL you sent us, I'm gonna need you to start summarizing or something chile bc us judges don't wanna be here all night reading what looks like The Holy Bible.

MadLove.

Spoiler

Divine
 ok...? lmfao1

Infrared
this is a cute playlist for a girls night out but these songs are so overused and expected. 

Maraj
Beautiful gowns yes. Kinda weird that you just threw songs in our faces with no explanation and expect us to be like "Oh YES you WON this one bitch!" ...keep dreaming! 

Bhad Bharb

Spoiler

Divine
I fell asleep so I must ask... what flavor do you claim your entry possesses? the only flavor I tasted was melatonin! no cohesion! no theme! bland songs!

Infrared
yes, this was an entry I didn’t know I wanted to see. I love all the alternative/grunge songs that came out of the 90s. One of the first garbage songs I heard was a stupid girl cover. I don’t think my judges liked this as much, but I appreciate a breath of fresh air in a sea of r&b genres.

Maraj
Not gonna lie to you, I yawned with this one. Did you pick good songs? Oh absolutelyyy but were you lacking description and theme? Oh absolutelyyyy. 

rosie    40
Just now, Freaky Prince said:

well hello lets celebrate that

WKodV9S.gif

undefined

Freaky Prince    33,475
Just now, Hyun. said:

Infrared

is funk the underdog these days? NYT just wrote an article about the return of funk and uptown funk is the biggest song this decade. I feel like with funk you can either go great or get lost in the corniness....and for here I’d go with the latter. Song choices were all a complete miss. Kylie song was god awful and the grace song slapped by I feel like it’s another genre as with the George Michael song. I had to double check with their genres were listed on the Internet because it just didn’t feel too much like funk.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/01/opinion/funk-music-returns.html

omg shut up nerd

Freaky Prince    33,475
1 minute ago, Hyun. said:

Divine
a cute entry! cute next to gorgeous! loving how each song is able to flow into one another despite the completely different artists. the song choices are excellent as well! I'm not the biggest Kylocal fan per say but I will admit that I bopped! the Grace Jones song was probably my favorite song in this trinity! nice work xx

Maraj
Bitch you made me feel like I was in a whole different era which is a good thing. Songs were very similar sounding I mean of course it's funk! 

WKodV9S.gif

Hyun.    30,128

Infrared even linking the article had me YELLING lmfao1

Ghostface    7,653

"You giving us a screenshot of the definition of nostalgia like us judges are stupid sent me." ny6

Maraj    66,887
3 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

omg shut up nerd

LMFAOOOOOO OH MY GOD giveup1 

Maraj    66,887
Just now, Ghostface said:

"You giving us a screenshot of the definition of nostalgia like us judges are stupid sent me." ny6

Not even shocked that it was @tomás tbh always trying to be a teacher dead2

Freaky Prince    33,475
Just now, Maraj said:

LMFAOOOOOO OH MY GOD giveup1 

He better be sure that for the next round I'll do a deep web research on my songs cuz I'm what? THAT festive!

WKodV9S.gif

Infrared    19,692

Reading all the comments together lmfao1 especially where we disagree. It seems maraj and divine are closer in taste

Hyun.    30,128
Just now, Infrared said:

Reading all the comments together lmfao1 especially where we disagree. It seems maraj and divine are closer in taste

i really have the time of my life when i'm copying them to the post lmfao1

Chris Morlock    44,715
6 minutes ago, Infrared said:

My phone hates me jj4

Well I'm in the bottom half jj2

Hyun.    30,128

5z8dEFQ.png

I'll keep teasing the rankings oh yes! The first of you to be safe are...

vOVF4CL.pngV96P1DO.png7FBIa1f.pngm1xaXm0.png

billie. — loudliyah — mylifelies — Shiver

Congrats on surviving legends!

WKodV9S.gif

Hyun.    30,128

Freaky Prince vs the Judges is my fave feud btw

WKodV9S.gif

Infrared    19,692
Just now, Freaky Prince said:

If InfraRAT dragged me into the flop trinity istg jj4

We LOVE a frontloaded #1 moo5