Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

darklordoftech

What happened with “Dirrty” in America?

It did bad in America? I remember hearing it so much as a kid, but maybe that was just around my house ny4  My mom stanned bey6 

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

It did bad in America? I remember hearing it so much as a kid, but maybe that was just around my house ny4  My mom stanned bey6 

It peaked around the 60s if I recall.

And the answer is because it was released in '02/'03. This was a really weird transitional period for the Billboard Charts because physical sales were almost dead but digital sales weren't allowed to chart at the time, so the chart was mostly based on radio plays, and due to the nature of Dirtty, it didn't get many because radios refused to spin it. There's your answer mad1 

31 minutes ago, RihannaRTT said:

And the answer is because it was released in '02/'03. This was a really weird transitional period for the Billboard Charts because physical sales were almost dead but digital sales weren't allowed to chart at the time, so the chart was mostly based on radio plays, and due to the nature of Dirtty, it didn't get many because radios refused to spin it. There's your answer mad1 

Ah, thanks! :) 

34 minutes ago, RihannaRTT said:

Things like this are why I’m not nostalgic for tv and radio being “gatekeepers”.

5 hours ago, RihannaRTT said:

17 hours ago, Dan said:

Your mom has taste. My mom also loves Xtina and she even bought BIONIC as a sixteenth birthday present for me back in 2010 even though it was such an explicit album. We bopped to Elastic Love and Woohoo so much, even up to now we listen to it. 

1 hour ago, BlancLover said:

Your mom has taste. My mom also loves Xtina and she even bought BIONIC as a sixteenth birthday for me present back in 2010 even though it was such an explicit album. We bopped to Elastic Love and Woohoo so much, even up to now we listen to it. 

Yes! Love that cry7  I love when families have taste! yas2 

I think it's mostly because of two reasons :

• The American Public
  • The Radio Spins

Back in 2002, the US was more conservative than it is nowadays. Therefore, Dirrty by Christina Aguilera had the same treatment that other Singers received during those days. One example I could include is Erotica by Madonna which was heavily censored in the US. The other factor is sales. Since Physical Sales were selling that much anymore, they decided to use Radio Airplay as a way to reach Higher Spots in the Billboard Hot 100. So, This led to Dirrty charting lower than expected. This is the reason why the song wasn't popular in the USA.

They didn't play the song on the radio because of the video and it didn't chart higher. Radio was a big factor back then along with physical sales.

But otherwise it was really successful. Really you could measure a song's popularity by how well it was doing on TRL. And Dirrty was really successful there.

I still think she should have chosen a different lead single cuz Dirrty doesn't represent Stripped at all. Dirrty is the odd one out on Stripped. It threw people off at first until Beautiful. This album could have been more successful if she chose a better lead single. I mean the song slaps don't get me wrong but CHUD and Dirrty should have been switched. CHUD as the first single to represent the album's message and Dirrty in the summer. xtina11

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.