Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Daenerys

Does it matter when a single is released?

I recently read that 'Watermelon Sugar' would have been a great single if it was released in May in time for Summer.

And that Lover (song) would have smashed in the Fall/Winter months.

And it got me wondering if it really even matters when a song is released for it to smash.

This thread is NOT a way to shade faves btw.

IU13MFt.gif

Tbh I definitely feel like it helps certain songs to be released at certain times of the year depending on their sound and sometimes even subject matter. However, there are certainly some songs that sound like summer smashes but smashed in the fall/winter (Side To Side is the first that comes to mind). I think it's a case by case basis.

IU13MFt.gif

1 minute ago, Divine said:

Tbh I definitely feel like it helps certain songs to be released at certain times of the year depending on their sound and sometimes even subject matter. However, there are certainly some songs that sound like summer smashes but smashed in the fall/winter (Side To Side is the first that comes to mind). I think it's a case by case basis.

IU13MFt.gif

You’re too smart period. I agree. And I feel like songs that are made with “summer” in the title flop.

IU13MFt.gif

I agree that I think it depends on the specific song itself and the circumstances. Work was released and January and smashed during late winter/early spring 2016, but it feels like a summer song. 

2 hours ago, Hylia said:

Do singles matter at all? The songs already exist, that’s enough for me

IU13MFt.gif

i read this in a "Does anyone think global warming is a good thing? I love Lady Gaga. I think she's a really interesting artist." way and i screamed

IU13MFt.gif

Yes. Some songs don't fit with some seasons. Dark Side was released in June 2012 and it flopped because it should've been the fall single. 

Southbound screamed summer and it peaked in the summer. Now Drinking Alone will be the winter smash she needs.

I think it matters for maximized potential success.

Like ballads usually do better in fall/winter because in most countries it's cold, people stay inside and are less active, so upbeat songs would shock with that vibe. There's also many family gatherings and ballads work perfectly as background music. Upbeat songs have the same effect on spring/summer because people usually party way more, they're out and about, etc.

Like yeah, as @Simón. said Rihanna released 'Work' at the end of January and it smashed but I do consider that a release aimed at spring/summer season, since in February people are already partying (Carnival) and then in March it's already spring. What happened with Lover by Taylor is that she released it in the middle of August as a promotional single and the cold weather lowkey started after Halloween. That's probably why the song did well in Australia, since there it was winter. (That could explain why the album didn't sell more than 1 million in its first week like all her other albums since Speak Now have done).

IU13MFt.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.