Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Guest Devoción

TOP 20 SHAKIRA VIDEOS: #1 FINALLY revealed

Guest Devoción

#8:

PRISONER

A lot of people don't like this song but I think it's one of her best. Her vocals in this song are just so-so, but the lyrics really do it for me.

"I know you're lying, denying, all of your actions, so listen up, cause here's my reaction".

These lyrics are golden, better than any thing else she's ever done (ie Close My Eyes, Petals, Languishing...)

Guest Devoción

My personal note: Okay, so I was going to post my worst Top 10 Mariah Carey songs, labelled as "best", but you guys busted it early on so there's no point continuing on.

In light of that, I'm going to start posting my legitimate countdown, starting in a sec.

Guest Devoción

mariah7.jpg

My Top 25 Mariah Carey-Shakira Songs

I am counting down my favorite Shakira and Mariah songs. I urge you to listen to each and everyone of them - they are all special and have something to say. There is a reason why I chose these songs.

Petals | Sale El Sol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ3AFzv44FY

"So many I considered closest to me, turned on a dime and sold me out dutifully."

For Mariah, Petals is an intimate description of the struggles in which she was enclosed in for a number of years, an open message to those who betrayed her. The haunting piano background, accompanied by Mariah's clever layering of background vocals - and her own breathy voice makes this song an enchanting experience to listen to.

"Estas semanas sin verte me paracieron anos, tanto te quise besar que me duelen los labios."

(These weeks without seeing you, seem to me like years. I've wanted to kiss you so much that it hurts my lips.)

For Shakira, Sale El Sol is all about the sun coming out. As the lyrics say, "un dia despues de la tormenta, cuando menos piensas sale el sol" - a day after the storm, when we least expect it the sun comes out. As cheesy as the lyrics may seem, this song is excellent, and at the point where it was released - 2010, a great revisitation of the Shakira that pre-crossover fans used to know. There is a resemblance of this song to her other hit, Inevitable.

Guest Devoción

mariah7.jpg

I am counting down my favorite Shakira and Mariah songs. I urge you to listen to each and everyone of them - they are all special and have something to say. There is a reason why I chose these songs.

Breakdown | Antologia

"Do you cling to your pride and sing I Will Survive? Do you lash out and say how dare you leave this way?"

For Mariah, Breakdown is a sexy, sultry canvas carving out the follow-ups to a breakup. However, as always - Mariah puts her own original twist on the song. Had the song been done by anyone else, I'm not so sure that the juxtaposed feeling of dejection-longingness-strength would've been conveyed. Mariah's soft, retreated voice, and her capped belts reflect the song's feeling of helplessness and entrapment.

"Pero olvidaste una final instruccion, porque no se como vivir sin tu amor."

(But you seemed to forget that last requirement - that it is impossible to live without your love.)

For Shakira, Antologia is one of her most heartbreaking songs ever. The lyrics are simply astonishing, involving several counts of sacrifices Shakira has made for her imaginary lover. Whenever you hear the bunch of "pre-crossover" fans complaining about Shakira supposedly "selling out" after 2001, this is what they refer to. Pure balladry and heartfelt belting. Knowing the lyrics will leave you in tears. If you can't understand Spanish, then +laughcry+ . I would still listen to the vocals, however.

Breakdown is such an unheralded classic. It's one of those songs you're not nuts about when you first hear it but five years later, you can't get enough baby1

There are many Shakira songs I love and I hope to see them appear on this list cry4.gif' alt='cry3'>

Guest Devoción

mariah7.jpg

Subtle Invitation | Gitana

"You can fall into me once again effortlessly, and I'll comfort your soul your heart wont hurt anymore, I'm waiting patiently..."

For Mariah, Subtle Invitation is the "thank-god" song on Charmbracelet after listening to an album of boredom and whisper. This song presents in the most mysterious way, with Mariah declaring her loyalty and requesting her lover to call her whenever. Needless to say, the series of belts at the end are super impressive, and till this date, I still try and imitate it and fail every time +laughcry+ . I've also always been intrigued by her random inclusion of previous songs "Anytime You Need A Friend", "My All" in the lyrics.

"Dime quien camina cuando se puede volar?"

(Tell me who walks when they can really fly?)

For Shakira, Gitana is a light, easy-going reflection of her own entire life. As Shakira describes herself, she has always been a bit of a Gypsy, always on the road, doing promotion in different countries and performing shows in various continents. Personally, the lyrics in the Spanish version ring nicer than those in the English version - it's so much more poetic and complements her tender voice. Vocally, I love how Shakira removes that rock belt voice and remains in that calm whisper, with her little "voice-breaking" effects that no one else can ever do.

I fully think Subtle Invitation is the key to all those "live" songs she does on Emancipation. A groundbreaker in her career. oprah1

And yeah, the English lyrics of Gypsy +laughcry+ My Mexican friend Nancy rolls her eyes whenever she hears them. ny2

Guest Devoción

mariah7.jpg

It's Like That | Dia De Enero

"It's my night, no stress, no fights, just leaving it all behind; no tears, no time to cry just making the most of life!"

For Mariah, It's Like That marked what was to be one of the biggest comebacks in the history of music. After about 5 years out of the spotlight, and with remarkably weaker and more strained vocals, Mariah returned with this huge club smash. The first time I heard this song, within the first 4 claps I knew that this was the Mariah that was coming back. What I LOVE about this song is the DEFINITY in her voice. That "making the MOST of life" sounded crispier and clearer than what she had done in the Charmbracelet era. We knew the bitch was back.

"Si yo te digo ¿qué dices tu?

Tu aún dices ¿que decís? "

(If i ask 'how do you say' (Colombian Accent)

You still say 'what did you say' (Argentinean Accent) )

For Shakira, Dia De Enero is probably one of the cutest and most smart songs I've ever seen. It describes how Shakira met her lover, Antonio on a January Day (though it probably doesn't apply now anymore +laughcry+ ) The song is ingenious, following how their love causes all wounds to heal, the sand to move. The lyrics are if not ADORABLE, especially the quote above. In terms of vocals, you hear a MUCH different tone of Shakira's, that withdrawn, cute little 10-year old voice, which really mimics the meaning of the song. The highlight of this song are probably the backing "speaking" vocals - ah it's just SO CUTE! Something that MUST be listened to, to understand.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.