Divine

Selena Gomez | Rare | January 10, 2020

26 minutes ago, ParentalAdvisory said:

i think the problem is her voice.... its sounds like she is serving the same kind of 'emotion' in every song like she cant play with her voice or doesent even try to use it differently

this whole whisper sound makes it even more monotonous

“whisperpop” @Jake fall7 

Ring and Let Me Get Me are the ones I really enjoy. The rest is pretty forgettable.

And like @ParentalAdvisory said she really has the same tone and emotion in all the songs. Only in Ring she plays a bit with her voice and I like how she sounds. I don't get when people say she has a nice tone, to me it sounds like she's talking throughout this whole album. And she's buried in so many effects. In some tracks I even doubt it's her singing cuz the voice sounds so different. Britney Jean tease. I hate that you can HEAR the limitations of her voice in every song. The notes are barely sustained.

I wonder if she'll pull an Ariana with Rare being her Sweetener where people liked some and disliked other songs and wanted more personal and then she released Thank U, Next which most people loved more. I am still very upset she didn't include Feel Me and Stained on this those were two of her best songs and I liked the direction she was going with those. I also really loved the demo of Higher or Heaven. I like when Selena sings in her more angelic head voice with more personal lyrics. 

This album is so boring. There was two, maybe three tracks I really enjoyed and would listen to again. I really hate the whispery-ness of the album. It just doesn't work imo. Like it works better in little bits rather than for entire/majority of tracks. I found the lyrics really bland overall too. I know she has it in her to make great music cause Revival was amazing.

It's just kinda frustrating going from Bad Liar an Fetish which were so fresh and had such a dope aesthetic to this era which is so extremely bland. 

Lose You to Love Me was a smart first single considering it's one of the only enjoyable tracks on the album.