Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

LiberatedWarrior

Back to Basics...forgotten?

It really feels so, even with the stans? Despite being her last era with solo top 10’s and having a huge tour, I just never really hear about it, like... Self titled was her iconic debut, Stripped was her creative transformation, Bionic’s an infamous and often said underrated underperformance, Lotus was..... creep1, and Liberation was her artistic comeback. But how do we define B2B? Do you think it was overshadowed? Did the lengthy track list have something to do with the longevity?

Sorry if this threads been made before I really didn’t look, be nice to me jj2

The album is nice but idk there's nothing really special about it nothing that stands out. Some songs in the second disk are catchy but that's it. It's basically a wedding album to Jordan, the whole album is about him and their marriage. Some people also think it's full of fillers.

I still think Bionic is her second best album.

It's her artistic peak, sns. aretha1 With Stripped she was still finding herself in a way (and creating a masterpiece in the process), but with B2B she knew exactly what she was doing and what she wanted. Just look at the B2B tour, she never got better than that. Jazz, blues and soul music have always been a huge inspiration to her, so that album is as much of a love letter to those genres as it is to Jordan. I definitely feel like people have begun to overlook it in recent years. I think that's mostly due to the massive influence of Stripped and the controversy of Bionic. B2B is caught in between two very polarizing eras, that still generate discussion even today. B2B on the other hand was executed so perfectly that there isn't much to talk about tbh. The fact that, unlike Stripped, she doesn't really reference it anymore (probably cuz of Jordan) also contributes to it. Which is a shame, it's a fantastic record.

4 minutes ago, Kirjava said:

It's her artistic peak, sns. aretha1 With Stripped she was still finding herself in a way (and creating a masterpiece in the process), but with B2B she knew exactly what she was doing and what she wanted. Just look at the B2B tour, she never got better than that. Jazz, blues and soul music have always been a huge inspiration to her, so that album is as much of a love letter to those genres as it is to Jordan. I definitely feel like people have begun to overlook it in recent years. I think that's mostly due to the massive influence of Stripped and the controversy of Bionic. B2B is caught in between two very polarizing eras, that still generate discussion even today. B2B on the other hand was executed so perfectly that there isn't much to talk about tbh. The fact that, unlike Stripped, she doesn't really reference it anymore (probably cuz of Jordan) also contributes to it. Which is a shame, it's a fantastic record.

she still performs ANOM on her tour as well as Candyman moo1 

4 minutes ago, Habits said:

she still performs ANOM on her tour as well as Candyman moo1 

Yeah, cuz they were hits. But in comparison she performs way more songs from Stripped and at certain points even from Bionic. Also, she never talks about the album anymore. In contrast, Stripped keeps being brought up and then she starts stanning her 21 year old self. moo1

Just now, Kirjava said:

Yeah, cuz they were hits. But in comparison she performs way more songs from Stripped and at certain points even from Bionic. Also, she never talks about the album anymore. In contrast, Stripped keeps being brought up and then she starts stanning her 21 year old self. moo1

So true, she even talks more about bionic as well moo1 

On 11/30/2019 at 5:59 PM, Habits said:

Most stans rank B2B easily in their top 3 Xtina albums, so I doubt they haven't forgotten it.

I mean I definitely do the same! She hits every mark on it imo 💗 I just don’t see much discussion about it leaning towards either way so I wanted to hear what y’all think!

On 12/1/2019 at 4:11 AM, michael1814 said:

Back to Basics is her most cohesive album, and had three sizeable hits. Candyman is also her most viewed Solo video on YouTube, English spoken song anyway.

I agree on this too clap3 I enjoyed Liberation + Bionic but the tracklists were all over the place imo  😳

(I’m not shading Stripped it’s just been a hot second, its kinda an intense album for me too 🥺)

On 12/1/2019 at 1:31 PM, Kirjava said:

Omg yeah I was thinking since Jordan was such a huge influence that contributes to her kinda glossing over it, which hurts (more so that she ever did hurt) cry9 This is a really great reply clap3

I think the album is great and her vocals are fantastic but even the songs I like I rarely listen too. The only songs I really listen to are:

Makes Me Wanna Pray. Oh Mother, Welcome, Hurt, Mercy On Me, Save Me From Myself, The Right Man

This is a last year's thread, I know, but I want to say that I think the tracklist is what "breaks" the album. It's too many songs. The first half is practically perfect, but that second disc...kind of tragic. I have stopped liking Hurt since it's so overwrought yet meek, while Candyman still sounds addictive but very loud, and quite unoriginal come to think about it. I also just realized that Mercy On Me is lyrically very shallow. Anyway, I like I Got Trouble for what it is, but the only songs that I still love to listen from the second disc are Save Me from Myself and The Right Man (I know I'm corny for liking this, but the dramatic story always make me shiver) whereas with the first disc I can still listen to all songs.

20 hours ago, Tama said:

This is a last year's thread, I know, but I want to say that I think the tracklist is what "breaks" the album. It's too many songs. The first half is practically perfect, but that second disc...kind of tragic. I have stopped liking Hurt since it's so overwrought yet meek, while Candyman still sounds addictive but very loud, and quite unoriginal come to think about it. I also just realized that Mercy On Me is lyrically very shallow. Anyway, I like I Got Trouble for what it is, but the only songs that I still love to listen from the second disc are Save Me from Myself and The Right Man (I know I'm corny for liking this, but the dramatic story always make me shiver) whereas with the first disc I can still listen to all songs.

Yeah before I stanned it the album was a little rough to fully sit through, and that was even with two skips! No way in hell you’re corny or lame for stanning The Right Man, that song always brings me to tears! and SMFM is perfect and shows she can make a great song without getting the huge range flexing out lol 💀 also don’t worry about this thread being old, I’m quarantining and bored creep1

People forget about it because it's too specifically a throwback era mad8 I love it and it was one of my favorite albums growing up but it's hard to reference because of that very specific aesthetic and sound that's simply not contemporarily relevant anymore oprah11 Because of that it almost feels like a side project which is crazy because of the amount of songs xtina1

I actually bought this album off the back of Hurt and it was an overlong, over-indulgent mess with about three standout tracks - and they were the singles XxZHQYN.gif The Right Man was cute but I donated the CD to charity so I can't truly remember.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.