Create A Label: Season 12

Grammy-Interview.png

Kelly Gives Grammy Interview w/ Robin Nixon | @Ronlop

Spoiler

Kelly Clarkson has just made her long-awaited comeback to the spotlight. She recently released her second best-selling single yet, “Better Days,” only to step away from the public eye soon after its release. Over the next seven months, silence would follow, and Kelly would retreat to be away with her family for personal reasons yet to be revealed to the general public. Now, she makes her arrival back on the scene with a bold new release – “Do You Still Think of Me?”. The track, which released this past Friday, harkens back to what Kelly originally set out to do in summer 2018 with the release of the 80s-tinged, “In the Night”. The LP it was originally intended for was shelved, however, due to Kelly not feeling satisfied with where the project was headed. Things are different now, and with Kelly finding new inspiration and direction for the album, things seem to be back on track. Now, Kelly sets out on a worldwide promotional campaign that involves TV appearances, performances, radio interviews, TV ads, and more.

As a result of continued promotion and push from her label, Accent Records, “Do You Still Think of Me?” achieved a new peak on the Hot 100 by hitting #13 after out-peaking its debut position on its release five weeks ago. Two weeks ago, the single officially moved into the top 10 and has maintained a steady position at #6 on the charts while also crossing over 2,000,000 units sold (SPS) worldwide. With her recent GRAMMY Award nomination for Record of the Year, Kelly sits down for a special interview with Robin Nixon to give an in-depth look at her latest hit, “Do You Still Think of Me?”.

Ladies and gentlemen of the GRAMMY committee, thank you so much for being here tonight. Our guest with us is an American icon. 17 years ago, she captivated all our hearts by taking the stage on FOX’s breakout hit show, American Idol. After becoming the inaugural winner, she would go on to sell hundreds of millions of records worldwide and give credibility to the once-criticized format of singing competitions. She is one of the greatest singers of today’s generation, and her charm and charisma are unmatched! Please give a warm welcome to Kelly Clarkson!

Thank you so much for being here with us tonight, Kelly. It really is an honor!

Oh my gosh, no, thank you! It is such an honor for me, actually! I really love that this is happening.

We have a lot to talk about tonight, Kelly. Lots of questions regarding the creation and behind the scenes sort of stuff regarding “Do You Still Think of Me?”, however, before we go there, I’d just like to know, what was your first reaction to getting a nomination for Record of the Year?

I really was not expecting it at all. I didn’t even think I had a chance, to tell you the truth. It wasn’t that I didn’t believe in the song or was proud of it, but there was just a lot stacked against us going into the release of the single. It’s surreal. I get really emotional thinking about it, which I know may be silly, but it’s such an honor just to be nominated, you know? Especially when I think about how for a long while I wasn’t sure when exactly I’d get to release another song.

Where were you when you found out?
I was actually in a meeting with my team! We were planning something that’s going to be announced soon, and in the middle of it, my husband, who manages me, excitedly jumps out of his seat and interrupts with the news. It was a neat moment getting to share that with my team because they are the people who make so many things work behind the scenes. We’re like a family, really, so it was a special moment.

I wanna go back to what you said things feeling as though they were stacked against you. Do you feel like that because you took such a long break?

Yes, for sure, but more than that, like I said, I just really didn’t think I would be releasing music.. like.. ever again [Laughs]. I’m shrugging it off now by laughing about it, but it’s really a very sad thing. I just really had some bad writer’s block which was brought on by a pressure I put on myself. I really took myself way too seriously when it came to writing. I think after making ANALOG, which was a very personal album, I felt like I had to match up to that and make every song this deep thing that was the greatest masterpiece the world had ever seen. Which, I mean, obviously you hope for that and strive for that when you’re creating a song and an album, but I had this unhealthy attachment to it that kept me from writing. You have to write the crap songs to the good songs most of the time, at least that’s how it is for me anyway.

When did you feel that writers block lift and start creating and writing again?
It was last summer, actually. I took some time off just to step away completely from music right after I released “Better Days”. I needed some fresh perspective and direction without constantly being in the studio every day. So I took off, like, six months entirely where I did not write or record a single thing. I just enjoyed being at home with my kids and my husband. Then, one day in the summer, I suddenly felt inspired, so I wrote a song. That led to me finally letting go of my unhealthy attachment to perfection. It was the first time in a really long time that I got excited and had fun creating music again! It was a big learning moment for me because I finally just let go of all that stress and leaned into having fun creating music that felt authentic and real to me. If it was crap, oh well! I’d write another song and then another after that.

Where did “Do You Still Think of Me?” come about in this process?
Oh, well, I wrote it last summer. It was in the middle of the writing sessions for the new album.

And how did it come about it? Did you get the whole song all at once?

In a way, yes. I was driving down the highway, actually, blaring the radio when some lines from the chorus and the second verse came to mind. A lot of my songs start that way. I’ll just randomly get the idea for a title, some lyrics, or melody in my head. Anyway, I really liked what I was thinking, so I hurried home as I sang the lines over and over so I wouldn’t forget them. Once I got home, I then finished writing the whole song. It came together pretty fast.

Is that common for you?
Sometimes. It just depends on the song. Sometimes they will come together fast, other times they won’t. “Do You Still Think of Me?” was just a song I had so much inspiration for from the get go, and it all just flowed from there.

The song has a very nostalgic feeling to it - from its lyrics to its production.
Yes, it was! That was very intentional. Greg Kurstin, who produced this song, really brought that feeling out in this song. This song and the whole upcoming album are very 80s inspired. I love the buzzy synth-filled and airy, reverberated snare drums from the 80s. This song really introduces people to that sound from me. The song itself is very reflective and nostalgic, so I felt like that sort of production really helps play along with that.

What does it mean for you as a happily married woman?

Well, I often try to write my songs in a way that people can relate to them. This song was written in a way that kind of leans toward talking about a romantic relationship, but I really was writing it about friendships. There are some friendships of mine that are no longer.. a thing.. I guess you could say? And that’s for the better. Just for different reasons, we had to go our separate ways, and that’s totally okay. But I was thinking about that the day I wrote the song – just how much I miss the good times we shared together. Not saying that I want them back in my life, but also not discounting the good parts of our friendship. I feel like that is somewhere we have all been. So that’s what the song is about for me, and that’s where it really comes from.

Finally, Kelly, what does it mean to you to see the great response people have had to “Do You Still Think of Me?”.

It means the world! Like we discussed earlier, I was away for quite some time, so I wasn’t sure if people were still going to be here or be willing to listen to what I have to say and sing about, but they are! I credit a lot of it to my fans. They are so patient and supportive. They’re just the best fans ever. I love them so much. I feel like this is a whole new chapter in my career and that I have another chance to make something special for people to enjoy and listen to.

SHAWNHEADER.pngScreen-Shot-2020-02-07-at-4-34-46-AM.pngScreen-Shot-2020-02-07-at-4-35-13-AM.pngSHAWNFOOTER.png

Spoiler

Shawn Mendes has entered a new phase of his career and it promises to be even more exciting than ever before. Following the conclusion of his sold out world tour, Shawn went into a brief period of rest before returning with Watch Me Bleed, the lead single from his forthcoming extended play The Miami Experiment. The song has started off impressively, netting Shawn his highest single debut yet. It’s also received an incredible response from his fans with many calling it hest best sigle to date. To promote the single, Shawn has embarked on a worldwide promotional tour.

ON STICKING WITH THE CURRENT SINGLE:

“The idea was tossed around to release a second single with the EP, but I really don’t think that I’ve done all that there is to do with Watch Me Bleed. I have this habit of really going pretty long with singles so there isn’t much that’s changed in that regard. I just really, really adore this song and everything that it means for me as a person and as an artist. So I feel like some people may be ready for me to move on, but I don’t know that I am just yet. This is a dense song that touches on a lot of little things, little things that I’d like to delve a little deeper into and share with everyone. It getting selected as the lead was no random thing, the power that it has for me as a person guided my hand. I really believe in the song and believe that there’s still more magic to come of it at the moment.”

ON THE ABRUPT END TO THE EP:

“The last track cuts off at an unexpected spot and my reason for doing that is ultimately an effort to make this an experience not just for me but for the listener. While these stories may be very true to me, they’re stories that are applicable to other people and with that song, I wanted the listener to sort of come to their own conclusions. The audience can craft a better ending to this project than I ever could and I wanted the ball to be in their court for it. I hope that encourages people to think a little bit about their own story and what comes next for them because what came next for me wouldn’t be the same for someone else. It may sound a little corny but it was one of the most important aspects of this whole thing for me quite honestly.”

PERFORMANCE:

After the interview, Shawn and the band took to the performance stage to perform Watch Me Bleed. As has become the standard with this song, it was a far more intimate and stripped back affair with no frills. There’s a big emphasis on the musicality which Shawn and the band completely nail. Following the song, the band comes forward and they bow with Shawn before making their exit.

hector 31,491

sKyqn2q.png

MALUMA COVERS UFC MAGAZINE | USA

Spoiler

Story by Tiffany Polard
Photography by Brooke Thompson "Pumpkin"
Maluma's wearing Adidas
Accessories: (His own) Rolex, earrings by Gucci.

There's no denying that Maluma is one of the biggest male artists to ever grace the music industry. But how did he get to be one of them (if not the one)? Perseverance. Maluma's known for his prolific work ethic, one we saw with our own eyes during the release (and basically the entire era) of "Maniac". His debut album, that has broken a couple of records. The album, made Maluma the male artist with the most weeks at #1 (8 non-consecutive), the biggest selling debut album ever & the biggest selling male album with it crossing over 18,9 million copies to date. Only two more albums have crossed that mark, with it being Arcane by Mariah Carey and I Believe In Love by Lana Del Rey. He's mammoth success didn't stop there with him becoming the first artist ever to have 4 #1 singles go Diamond consecutively and his eras sales cross over 85 million. In only two years. Isn't that crazy? You would think that after getting this success, Maluma would be very stuck up, but he's nothing like that. I interviewed him in his Colombian childhood house, one that he bought and turned into a ranch for stray animals and his horses. "Many people don't know I did this, because I wanted to keep it only for me. But I wanted to give back, I love animals. They don't deserve to be on the streets. I bought my childhood house for this. And it's all I wanted."

We continue the interview by talking about his superstardom, Maluma would say to me, that this didn't came out of nowhere as many expected. "When I started, everyone seemed to not like me. My peers, yeah, some of them thought that my success wasn't real and that Republic Records had something to do with it. But I can guarantee that it wasn't, I busted my back for all that I got and I never liked that." Cut back to his revealing interview where he said he was addicted to Adderall during that era "It was so crazy. I had such a hectic schedule and I thought that the only way of going through it was doing that. It wrecked me. It was so awful." Now Maluma has been free of his drug addiction for one complete year, he told me he took some time for himself to go to rehab and to attend AA to stop his addiction, "No one knew. I didn't want to make it public.. It was something I did for myself. I know AA is for alcoholics, but I found a really strong support group there." He'd also tell me that during his recovery, he would come here and spend time with his family and his animals, "I have a horse, his name is Hercules. He's been my support, I love coming here and take care of him." We'd take a look around at Maluma's huge ranch and he indeed has a lot of animals over here but what impressed me the most was that, at the other extreme of the ranch, he has a full equipped gymnasium. "I built this so the people that work with me on this ranch could also maintain fit!" he'd laugh and then say "I'm joking, but I spend most of my time here so I decided to build this for my family and I. The people that work here with me can also come and do their thing if they want to." so we went to the gym.

Maluma would meet with his personal coach, Ron-Olaf Selvi Alexandris, where he would tell us "He's very disciplined.. But he also loves to eat, so we're here 24/7" and then they would laugh. "I do.. I love desserts, they are my achilles heel. Especially chocolate, I just love it. I'm obsessed." but he'd say besides that, he lives a very lean life. With a personal chef, who wouldn't? Right? But Maluma says that he cooks most of his meals on his own. "I know, I do have a personal chef that does really savoury food but he's not with me all the time so I cook for myself at least 80% of the time too. I love cooking." With this, Maluma would talk about his new clothing line with Adidas, "Adidas and I have been in talks of working together in a really long time, like, it's been insane. And now it finally happened! Now they gave me the opportunity to create my shoe line and a bomber jacket, which is so cool. I've never done this before but these are amazing, I've been using these shoes for about a month, because I wanted to test them first with all the things that I do and they are really great shoes. They haven't worn out at all even though I spent most of my time here in the ranch, working out and all of that." He'd then talk about the reason why his shoes have the name of his songs and also, the bomber jacket. He'd sit down with me in one of the workout machines and say "I thought of giving them these simple names because of how much they mean to me. Each of these has given a lot to me in my career, so I wanted to honour them with this. I know it seems so weird [laughs] but they are important to me. Also, the jacket, Ronaldo picked the colour. He's obsessed with sea animals and wanted this to have the colour of Salmon so we went with it. And it looks amazing, I won't lie. He has a great eye for fashion!" we'd all burst into laughter. Maluma's clothing line is now available on adidas.com so get yours! 1,000 boxes will come with a personalised message from Maluma and autographed too. Same thing with the jacket. I thanked Maluma for showing me this side of his before ending the interview. 

hector 31,491

u3Wm01O.png

ARIANA GRANDE ON GOOD MORNING AMERICA | USA

Spoiler

INTERVIEW

Looking back at Ariana Grande
Ariana: It was such a crazy time.. I remember being exhausted most of the days when we were going to promote but honestly I did it all because I thought that it was something I needed to do and prove myself that I was capable of getting my music out and heard everywhere. Mostly because of what happened with my canceled album, the one prior to Ariana Grande, so I needed to show everyone I still got it. And I took it to the extreme but I somehow don’t think it was a bad thing. I’m here right now, enjoying my career because this is what I love and it all has sacrifices. Ariana Grande was an amazing era nonetheless, I will always love that album. I know my fans want me to do another album like that but I don’t know.. Maybe I will maybe I wont because I don’t think I’m in that same position anymore, when it comes to sound. 

Making something like liability
Ariana: For me, it was something I needed to do because I wanted to experiment and work on more stuff than just Pop so Republic Records thought that it would be amazing to dive into Pop/Trap which I kinda dig because I love it and it really suited the message of the EP, it gave it this really angry and sad vibes [laughs] which I was by the way, that’s exactly how I wanted this to sound. But working on liability was amazing, because of what I’m saying that I got to try new stuff and work with my friends too. This was more of a project to get all of the things that I had going through my mind happening.. It getting a GRAMMY nomination was something I didn’t expect and I’m really grateful for that. 

On break your heart
Ariana: When I wrote this song, I remember being so damn mad [laughs] Like [laughs] I sat down and, you remember that Regina Georgie moment when she goes nuts and starts writing on the burn book? Yup, that was me [laughs] and I wanted it to be like that because it was me at my rawest you know, I didn’t held anything back and wrote everything I thought needed to be written. I thought that it was a great follow up to the moodiness of white ferrari, and give the audience a more mature sound too. I love break your heart and uhm, it’s been amazing to finally get to work on stuff for it. I been lacking, I know [laughs] but not anymore.. I almost forgot to thank my fans for keeping this alive.. I love u all!

PERFORMS BREAK YOUR HEART

The interview ends and Ariana was now taking the stage. She’d be seen in front of the big window placed in front of times square so you could see fans being outside and seeing Ariana perform. She would be sitting down in a stool and give an acoustic performance of the song giving it a more soulful rendition and then when she finishes, the hosts remind everyone to stream on Encore and to get tickets for her tour.

17 hours ago, Surrealism said:

Serving XTINA teas!

1 hour ago, Maria said:

The aesthetic you're using for Troye this era is so..... romantic and beautiful!

54 minutes ago, hector said:

sKyqn2q.png

MALUMA COVERS UFC MAGAZINE | USA

Reveal hidden contents

Story by Tiffany Polard
Photography by Brooke Thompson "Pumpkin"
Maluma's wearing Adidas
Accessories: (His own) Rolex, earrings by Gucci.

There's no denying that Maluma is one of the biggest male artists to ever grace the music industry. But how did he get to be one of them (if not the one)? Perseverance. Maluma's known for his prolific work ethic, one we saw with our own eyes during the release (and basically the entire era) of "Maniac". His debut album, that has broken a couple of records. The album, made Maluma the male artist with the most weeks at #1 (8 non-consecutive), the biggest selling debut album ever & the biggest selling male album with it crossing over 18,9 million copies to date. Only two more albums have crossed that mark, with it being Arcane by Mariah Carey and I Believe In Love by Lana Del Rey. He's mammoth success didn't stop there with him becoming the first artist ever to have 4 #1 singles go Diamond consecutively and his eras sales cross over 85 million. In only two years. Isn't that crazy? You would think that after getting this success, Maluma would be very stuck up, but he's nothing like that. I interviewed him in his Colombian childhood house, one that he bought and turned into a ranch for stray animals and his horses. "Many people don't know I did this, because I wanted to keep it only for me. But I wanted to give back, I love animals. They don't deserve to be on the streets. I bought my childhood house for this. And it's all I wanted."

We continue the interview by talking about his superstardom, Maluma would say to me, that this didn't came out of nowhere as many expected. "When I started, everyone seemed to not like me. My peers, yeah, some of them thought that my success wasn't real and that Republic Records had something to do with it. But I can guarantee that it wasn't, I busted my back for all that I got and I never liked that." Cut back to his revealing interview where he said he was addicted to Adderall during that era "It was so crazy. I had such a hectic schedule and I thought that the only way of going through it was doing that. It wrecked me. It was so awful." Now Maluma has been free of his drug addiction for one complete year, he told me he took some time for himself to go to rehab and to attend AA to stop his addiction, "No one knew. I didn't want to make it public.. It was something I did for myself. I know AA is for alcoholics, but I found a really strong support group there." He'd also tell me that during his recovery, he would come here and spend time with his family and his animals, "I have a horse, his name is Hercules. He's been my support, I love coming here and take care of him." We'd take a look around at Maluma's huge ranch and he indeed has a lot of animals over here but what impressed me the most was that, at the other extreme of the ranch, he has a full equipped gymnasium. "I built this so the people that work with me on this ranch could also maintain fit!" he'd laugh and then say "I'm joking, but I spend most of my time here so I decided to build this for my family and I. The people that work here with me can also come and do their thing if they want to." so we went to the gym.

Maluma would meet with his personal coach, Ron-Olaf Selvi Alexandris, where he would tell us "He's very disciplined.. But he also loves to eat, so we're here 24/7" and then they would laugh. "I do.. I love desserts, they are my achilles heel. Especially chocolate, I just love it. I'm obsessed." but he'd say besides that, he lives a very lean life. With a personal chef, who wouldn't? Right? But Maluma says that he cooks most of his meals on his own. "I know, I do have a personal chef that does really savoury food but he's not with me all the time so I cook for myself at least 80% of the time too. I love cooking." With this, Maluma would talk about his new clothing line with Adidas, "Adidas and I have been in talks of working together in a really long time, like, it's been insane. And now it finally happened! Now they gave me the opportunity to create my shoe line and a bomber jacket, which is so cool. I've never done this before but these are amazing, I've been using these shoes for about a month, because I wanted to test them first with all the things that I do and they are really great shoes. They haven't worn out at all even though I spent most of my time here in the ranch, working out and all of that." He'd then talk about the reason why his shoes have the name of his songs and also, the bomber jacket. He'd sit down with me in one of the workout machines and say "I thought of giving them these simple names because of how much they mean to me. Each of these has given a lot to me in my career, so I wanted to honour them with this. I know it seems so weird [laughs] but they are important to me. Also, the jacket, Ronaldo picked the colour. He's obsessed with sea animals and wanted this to have the colour of Salmon so we went with it. And it looks amazing, I won't lie. He has a great eye for fashion!" we'd all burst into laughter. Maluma's clothing line is now available on adidas.com so get yours! 1,000 boxes will come with a personalised message from Maluma and autographed too. Same thing with the jacket. I thanked Maluma for showing me this side of his before ending the interview. 

Daddy... that arm can fucking choke me.

hector 31,491

4rMUKGc.png

ARIANA GRANDE AT ON AIR! WITH RYAN SEACREST | USA

Spoiler

INTERVIEW

Going on tour with liability
Ariana: I really missed touring, it’s one of those things that I just love doing.. I got the incredible luck to go on a big, big tour with Ariana Grande and I really missed doing so. The liability tour isn’t as big because I thought that it wouldn’t make sense to go as big as that tour but I’m still enjoying all of it! Right now I started it with a few dates around the USA, and it’s almost all sold out! Can you imagine?? It’s so surreal. I saw that there are a few tickets left on the Los Angeles and Orange County dates that are at the end of the leg so if y’all wanna have a great time, come here! [Laughs] But yeah, I love touring and singing with my fans, it’s the best thing of being a singer... Literally! 

On Bars Bars Bars
Ariana: Zendaya and I are really great friends, we enjoy working together so when the time came to do something again I didn’t even hesitate and went for it. I’m really glad that I could work with her and do this song because also, our fans were expecting us to work together once again and to do something like Bottle Games and I feel like, this song really represents Bottle Games in essence, if you know what I mean? Like, it does feel like it’s a continuation from it. Same as the music video! Which y’all should be streaming!! We worked hard on it [laughs] but yeah, it’s always amazing to work with your friends but it’s ten times better working with people that know you better. 

The break your heart music video
Ariana: Ugh I love working with Hannah! She really gets me [laughs] it’s insane. I think that, after working together for such a long time you form a bond and just like.. Wanna work with your friends and that’s what I wanted to do this era. Work with people that I know and that would understand the story that I wanted to tell with my EP and the visuals off it. I worked with Dave Meyers on white ferrari because he worked with Brendon and I on Preacher and I really liked him a lot. He’s amazing. The break your heart video really captures the song and the way I wanted it to represent it, instead of being a sad video about me being heartbroken it’s about me dancing and singing with my friends, getting over the boy.. I love it. Check it out on Caltube!

Harry_CAL 4,806

d374dd019597d27654c4e60951e955d8.jpg

Spoiler

ALL GA TICKETS - $40

8th March - Warehouse Live, Houston (1,300)
9th March - House of Blues, New Orleans (1,000)
11th March - Tabernacle, Atlanta (2,000)
12th March - Fillmore, Miami (2,200)
13th March - 9:30 Club, Washington DC (1,300)
15th March - Riviera Theatre, Chicago (2,500)
16th March - First Avenue, Minneapolis (1,600)

19th March - Vicar Street, Dublin (1,500)
20th March - Shepherd’s Bush Empire, London (2,000)

24th March - Melkweg, Amsterdam (800)
25th March - Ancienne Belgique, Brussels (2,000)

31st March - Metro Theatre, Sydney (1,100)
1st April - Corner Hotel, Melbourne (800)