Urbi

Beyoncé for Elle

B on the significance of awards to her

Q : I connected with Lemonade and I almost passed out when I saw Homecoming. You brought it and made me want to stand up and scream your name!! What’s up with the people who give out awards? Were you disappointed not winning? Because you know, you already won with me.—via Instagram

A : 

🙏🏾 I began to search for deeper meaning when life began to teach me lessons I didn’t know I needed. Success looks different to me now. I learned that all pain and loss is in fact a gift. Having miscarriages taught me that I had to mother myself before I could be a mother to someone else. Then I had Blue, and the quest for my purpose became so much deeper. I died and was reborn in my relationship, and the quest for self became even stronger. It’s difficult for me to go backwards. Being “number one” was no longer my priority. My true win is creating art and a legacy that will live far beyond me. That’s fulfilling. 

B on diverse inclusivity 

Q : In your productions, you show many shades of black and brown skin tones, various sizes, and representation of members of the LGBTQIA community. Why is inclusion and representation important to you?—via email

A : 

For me, it is about amplifying the beauty in all of us. I rarely felt represented in film, fashion, and other media. After having a child, I made it my mission to use my art to show the style, elegance, and attraction in men and women of color. We are living in a beautiful time of real progression towards acceptance. I’m so proud of the progress being made in and around the LGBTQIA community. Masculinity is being redefined. Women are not competing with women. They no longer strive to be the best female anything. They strive to be the best. Diversity and inclusion go beyond race. 

B on the FWT and Prince

Q : I’ve been to every one of your solo tours and the ones with JAY-Z. The Formation World Tour was my favorite. Where is the video? —via Instagram

A : Years ago, I asked Prince to record my rehearsal with him for our Grammy performance. He said, “You don’t need to record that. You own that in your mind.” Haaaaaaa! Prince always knew best! So, you can always watch the FormationWorld Tour in your mind; you own that! 🤪

B on her Snapchat

What’s your Snapchat name? We know you’re on there. 

I hate to say it, I hope I don’t sound ridiculous, but I don’t know what mySnapchat is. Sorry to that Snapchat. 🤪🤫🤐

B on Madonna concert & Target

Would we see you at the supermarket or Target? What do you buy?—via Facebook

The last time I went to a supermarket, it was more like a bodega before a Madonna concert. Jay and I snuck into one in Crenshaw and bought some Cuervo and Funyuns chips. And…y’allknow you see me at Target and I see y’all trying to sneak pics.

B on whales and her infamous DC interview 

If you could be an animal for a day, would you still be a whale?

I still love whales. And I love being in the ocean. And that video was after a 16-hour press day. Not marijuana!!

Some stunning pictures from the article 

elm010120wlcover0010b-1574811954.jpg?res

elm010120wlcover0018b-1574813068.jpg?cro

elm010120wlcover0011b-1574812626.jpg?res

elm010120wlcover0016b-1574812850.jpg?res

copied from ATRL cause I’m lazy bey7