Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Dennis Reynolds

Most underrated/overlooked Disney films?

17 minutes ago, Hylia said:

Also, on the topic of Return to Oz, I think it is known, it’s just overshadowed by The Wizard of Oz. It has gained a cult following though which I think is pretty cool. I’ve wondered before if I actually prefer it to the original movie. Of course, there’s no denying that it’s better than the official animated sequel to the original movie starring Liza Minnelli. Return to Oz could have it worse though, just look at Oz: The Great and Powerful.

I've never seen that animated movie, is it that bad? rip2 I have seen Oz the Great and Powerful, which was a little thin but I thought it was OK at the time. Also seen The Wiz, did you ever watch that?

And let me know what you think of TRON jj2 

Just now, Dennis Reynolds said:

I've never seen that animated movie, is it that bad? rip2 I have seen Oz the Great and Powerful, which was a little thin but I thought it was OK at the time. Also seen The Wiz, did you ever watch that?

And let me know what you think of TRON jj2 

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen it, but I don’t remember liking it much. Return to Oz stays much closer to the books and feels more connected to the original movie as well. rip3 I really like Theodora’s scenes in Oz: The Great and Powerful, and I enjoy the movie as a whole, but it’s probably my least favorite Oz movie as of today. I haven’t seen The Wiz, is that the one Diana Ross did a soundtrack for?

And I definitely will jj2 

Just now, Hylia said:

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen it, but I don’t remember liking it much. Return to Oz stays much closer to the books and feels more connected to the original movie as well. rip3 I really like Theodora’s scenes in Oz: The Great and Powerful, and I enjoy the movie as a whole, but it’s probably my least favorite Oz movie as of today. I haven’t seen The Wiz, is that the one Diana Ross did a soundtrack for?

And I definitely will jj2 

Yeah it is, she plays Dorothy in it. It's a retelling of the original story with an all black cast and Oz is reimagined as sort of a fantasy version of New York City. It's worth seeing imo.

Yeah I've seen the 1939 version, The Wiz, Return to Oz and Oz the Great and Powerful. I think I've actually all the Baum books too, and some of the Ruth Plumly Thompson ones.

12 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Yeah it is, she plays Dorothy in it. It's a retelling of the original story with an all black cast and Oz is reimagined as sort of a fantasy version of New York City. It's worth seeing imo.

Yeah I've seen the 1939 version, The Wiz, Return to Oz and Oz the Great and Powerful. I think I've actually all the Baum books too, and some of the Ruth Plumly Thompson ones.

I probably would like that! I’ll keep it in mind jj2 

I’ve read the first 3 Baum books, the Dorothy Must Die series, and Wicked. Dorothy Must Die had a planned CW show which would’ve probably been good, so I’m sad that it never happened. I also want them to actually put out a Wicked movie one day. I know they’ve been working on that one based on the musical for ages, but I’d prefer one based on just the book since I like the ending in it a lot more, and the musical also omitted a character that becomes pretty key in the book’s sequels (which I’d love to read one day).

13 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I like Treasure Planet too, although I always felt as though they should've committed more to the sci-fi angle. I understand what they were going for with the masted sailing ships but it seemed a little weird to me.

Tbh that’s what I kinda loved. The mix between science fiction and pirates. jj2

12 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

@Max do you like the movie Atlantis: The Lost Empire? Rewatched it earlier ellie1 

Yes, I absolutely do! 
It‘s one of the most underrated Disney movies, probably THE one. I love how different it is. It has a very distinct visual style, great animations (the climax scene >>> ) and is packed with LOADS of interesting characters, not just a handful of shiny princesses. 

The thing I love the most though, is how... genre bending (?) this movie was - and probably still is. It starts off as pretty much a Scifi movie, definitely steampunk vibes and didn’t give too many shits about delivering to the standard Disney audience. I stan! 

On 7/18/2020 at 10:13 AM, Max said:

The Emperor‘s New Groove >>>> Your basic Ass favorites like The Lion King or The Little Mermaid. 

ugh in my top 4 after Alice In Wonderland and add in beauty and the beast and u have a top 5 brit2

19 hours ago, Max said:

Yes, I absolutely do! 
It‘s one of the most underrated Disney movies, probably THE one. I love how different it is. It has a very distinct visual style, great animations (the climax scene >>> ) and is packed with LOADS of interesting characters, not just a handful of shiny princesses. 

The thing I love the most though, is how... genre bending (?) this movie was - and probably still is. It starts off as pretty much a Scifi movie, definitely steampunk vibes and didn’t give too many shits about delivering to the standard Disney audience. I stan! 

It's also unique in that it's one of the only animated Disney films I can think of where the villain dies fully onscreen rather than cutting away or then falling off a cliff or something ellie1 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.