Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Divine

Harry Styles addresses rumors regarding his sexuality

people have been so hyperfocused on his sexuality since he was in 1d. fans literally fantasized about his sexuality and the relationship between him and louis. i don't blame him for not wanting to comment on it because coming out either way is a lose, lose. not defending what he said at the end because that's a hella yikes but

1. if he comes out as bisexual, it will be all people focus on. it'll become less about the music and more about his sexuality because it's been something speculated on for years.

2. if he doesn't come out he's scrutinized and subject to excessive speculation still, where he'll feel backed into a corner like he's obligated to share that part of himself with anyone - when he really isn't. that's something for him to discuss on his own time, not because fans and interviewers are coaxing him for an answer.

3. he reveals he's straight and he's torn down for queer baiting or making light of lgbt to profit off of sexual ambiguity, lgbt and the sexuality of many of his fans. like that's something that can be appropriated for a paycheck and brownie points in the community. 

On 12/15/2019 at 7:12 PM, sweetener said:

he doesn't owe anyone his sexuality. he isn't hiding it. he isn't queer baiting. his sexuality is for him, period. i think it's amazing that he has such this attitude towards it. "who cares"

On 12/15/2019 at 7:14 PM, aerials said:

people have been so hyperfocused on his sexuality since he was in 1d. fans literally fantasized about his sexuality and the relationship between him and louis. i don't blame him for not wanting to comment on it because coming out either way is a lose, lose. not defending what he said at the end because that's a hella yikes but

1. if he comes out as bisexual, it will be all people focus on. it'll become less about the music and more about his sexuality because it's been something speculated on for years.

2. if he doesn't come out he's scrutinized and subject to excessive speculation still, where he'll feel backed into a corner like he's obligated to share that part of himself with anyone - when he really isn't. that's something for him to discuss on his own time, not because fans and interviewers are coaxing him for an answer.

3. he reveals he's straight and he's torn down for queer baiting or making light of lgbt to profit off of sexual ambiguity, lgbt and the sexuality of many of his fans. like that's something that can be appropriated for a paycheck and brownie points in the community. 

There's a better way to talk about this without boiling it down to "who cares", though. Who cares is a terrible answer to a question people are interested about. He certainly doesn't owe anyone his sexuality, but saying "who cares" and being really flippant about the whole thing is really annoying. I said before, but some young queer people care about all kinds of representation and we're always ready for more of it. That doesn't have to be Harry, but he should find a better way to answer these types of questions because he's a fool if he doesn't realize it's become a talking point around him.

"I'm not sure how to answer that question. Lately I've just been exploring the fluidity in my image, both personally and in my art, and what that means in the broader picture of things. Sexuality and gender doesn't have to be structured and everyone doesn't need to be put into boxes. I guess that's just what I've been doing, and it doesn't necessarily have to mean one thing or another about me. When it comes to my personal situation, stuff like that is best kept private in my opinion."

Something along those lines would have been much better if he just wanted to give a non-answer. No, he's probably not going to "win" whatever he decides, but there's ways to go about this better. Saying "who cares" certainly doesn't shut up anybody. If he doesn't want to talk about it, he could just say "The idea of sexuality and gender are interesting topics to me, but I won't be answering personal questions like that."

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.