Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Hunty Bear

Reycism: The Year In Reyview, 2019 Edition

19 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

48OnOM4.jpg

Favourites: Gone, Cross You Out, I Don’t Wanna Know

This year, leader of the gay cinematic universe Charli XCX dropped her first proper ‘album’ since her shift away from the pop-rock of 2015’s Sucker (which now seems like an eternity away). It does however follow through from her 2017 mixtapes as a record that is stacked with collaborations from a slew of underrated pop artists. This record sees a marriage between some more commercial cuts (‘White Mercedes’, ‘Blame It On Your Love’, ‘1999’) and some of the wild PC stylings that she has become associated with (‘Click’, ‘Warm’, ‘February 2017’) - yet nothing feels out of place. The huge, industrial thumpings of the Sky Ferreira-featuring ‘Cross You Out’ has become one of my most played songs of the year, while some of the quieter cuts like ‘I Don’t Wanna Know’ and ‘Official’ showcase some a vulnerable edge to Charli that we don’t get to hear too often. Here’s to the inevitable Charli music that we’ll get in 2020!

EPgJ6uC.jpg

Favourites: Golden, Lights Up, She

Although this album was released just under a week ago, I’ve had it playing every time I’ve been in the car. Opening with the driving, sun-soaked punches of ‘Golden’, ‘Watermelon Sugar’, ‘Adore You’ and ‘Lights Up’, this album moves us away from the intimate world that he shared with us on his debut before throwing us straight back into the depressive state we thought we had rid ourselves of with ‘Cherry’ and ‘Falling’. There are still some obvious influences from the Beatles and Fleetwood Mac that Harry has toyed with since the start of his solo career, but overall it feels like another step forward into finding his own sound. Poor Liam Payne.

wtiHWf0.jpg

Favourites: Closer to You, Bags, Sofia

None of Clairo’s earlier music stuck with me, so I was pleasantly surprised when listening to Immunity for the first time to really connect with it and find myself getting lost in soundscape that she had created. There is nothing immediately demanding about Clairo’s music; don’t go in expecting a banger as the closest thing you’ll find is ‘Closer to You’ with it’s woozy synths and erratic drums hits (even then, it’s still a pretty laid back song). There’s a real charm to the simple and lackadaisical way that she sings about her qualms with love. While they aren’t entirely comparable, I do think there is a compelling directness to both Clairo’s lyrics and that of the lyrics on Kacey Musgraves’ 2018 Golden Hour. I’m excited to see where Clairo progresses from here, because she’s definitely turned me into a fan.

rb7hyKi.jpg

Favourites: Light On, Say It, Fallingwater

Maggie Rogers has been one to watch ever since her encounter with Pharrell Williams over her song ‘Alaska’ went viral. After being drip fed by an EP and a couple of stand-alone singles, Maggie finally kicked 2019 off with a bang with her debut full-length record. This album feels cathartic, from the bare piano confessions of the title track, to the gentle drum-wrapped realisations of  ‘Fallingwater’ and the thundering warmth of the final song ‘Back In My Body’. It’s a very polished record, with nothing ever feeling too strange or out of place; but there’s plenty of time for her to go wild in the future if she chooses.

c8Ozbt0.jpg

Favourites: Stormy Weather, Save Room for Us, Perfect Crime

This is the one album I was more nervous than any other to listen to this year. After the disastrous rollout of her last effort Joyride, and the termination of her contract with RCA, Tinashe had a lot to prove. At last, she wasn’t being moulded into a million different characters for marketing resulting in a jumble of sounds - she was in control. Thankfully, she well and truly delivered. This album feels confident and focused, and the perfect starting ground for the next phase of her career. The mix of sounds never feels frustrating or jarring like it did on Joyride. The modern late-night jams (‘Feelings’, ‘Touch & Go’), blend perfectly with influences from 80s and 90s (‘Save Room for Us’, ‘Perfect Crime’), and the outright bangers (‘Hopscotch’, ‘Link Up’). This record is a huge win for Tinashe.

just realized that your graphics are Vice Magazine themed wendy3 

3 minutes ago, Liam said:

I hope Lachlan gets hearing aids for Christmas. Lover is not better than any album he has posted so far.

imagine thinking it's better than IGOR, When I Get Home, Songs For You, Charli, Dedicated, - Ugh, those feels again, etc. ... my god oprah5  

5 minutes ago, Hunty Bear said:

imagine thinking it's better than IGOR, When I Get Home, Songs For You, Charli, Dedicated, - Ugh, those feels again, etc. ... my god oprah5  

Reverse racism against Taylor omg Camel Cabello come save us! oprah5

7 minutes ago, Hunty Bear said:

Back to the more tasteful of the Reycist quartet, I can not get into Clairo at all. I have been slack on my listening so there are many albums here I need to listen to.

5 minutes ago, Liam said:

Back to the more tasteful of the Reycist quartet, I can not get into Clairo at all. I have been slack on my listening so there are many albums here I need to listen to.

I used to lit rally hate her! her album isn't perfect but I found myself coming back to it a lot over the course of the past year, whether it be through using it to help me study or actually seeing a set of hers live jj4 felt appropriate to highlight it here since I felt that it was a huge improvement over her past work and I got into it more than I did a lot of albums (that are arguably much better that I'll highlight in my honorable mentions)

idk which albums you haven't listened to yet but I'm happy to try to get you into some! I have an upcoming album that I think you'd love but I think you'll be really into Flying Lotus, slowthai, Faye Webster, Little Simz and Nilüfer Yanya from what I've posted so far jj2 

8 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

Reverse racism against Taylor omg Camel Cabello come save us! oprah5

a Swiftie attributing her album's potential inadequacies to reverse racism....the black influences jumped out bebe1  

Image result for tove lo sunshine kitty
BNZYGwi.png

Highlights: "Equally Lost," "Anywhere U Go," "Sweettalk My Heart," "Jacques," "Are U Gonna Tell Her?," "Glad He's Gone"

Tove Lo is an artist that is very underrated in my opinion, both in the mainstream and in pop music circles. She has consistently released some of the best pop music out there. Somewhat ironically, however, her best songs tend to be accompanied by some very blatantly filler tracks, resulting in projects that are uneven in terms of quality. Her latest record, Sunshine Kitty, is her most consistent, and possibly her best. Like her previous records, Sunshine Kitty is a record jam-packed with club-ready electropop bangers that are characterized by their blunt, and sometimes explicit, lyricism that deals with the highs and lows of falling in and out of love. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.