Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Hunty Bear

Reycism: The Year In Reyview, 2019 Edition

6 hours ago, Lachlan said:

La22YQP.jpg

Favourites: All Mirrors, Endgame, Chance

All Mirrors is Angel Olsen’s boldest album to date; from the thundering mid-section of tracks such as ‘Lark’ and ‘What It Is’, to the sparkly synths and dramatic string arrangements in the title track. Not to mention her voice - more brazen than ever - that stands at the forefront of the more quietly arranged tracks in the back end of the record. There’s nothing as immediate as some of the more succinct tracks on her last album like ‘Shut Up Kiss Me’, with most of the songs on All Mirrors ranging between four and six minutes. Every song is a slow-burner, gently unravelling into something grand and lush. It’s a really stunning listen, and one that rewards itself more over time.

3fYkp3r.jpg

Favourites: Pressure to Party, Don’t Know How to Keep Loving You, Turn Me Down

One of Australia’s fastest emerging folk-rock songstress’ Julia Jacklin returned this year with her sophomore album. While I enjoyed her debut, this record hit me like a ton of bricks throughout the year as her songwriting results in so many lines that perfectly capture a feeling during (the end of) a relationship. Her delivery on lines like ‘you can’t be the one to hold him when you were the one who left’ make for a really vulnerable and raw listen, and makes you feel like somebody really gets it. It’s not all doom and gloom though, the first two songs ‘Body’ and ‘Head Alone’ are a bit of a fuck you to a guy who really wronged her, while the peppy and grungy ‘Pressure to Party’ talks about social expectations faced on people in their 20s. It’s a really mature record and I can’t wait to see her career continue to skyrocket with whatever comes next.

nmzjA9h.jpg

Favourites: Something to Believe, Movies, Picture Me Better

An artist completely unknown to me before the drop of this album, I only really gave it a listen for the first time because it was getting similar reactions to Kacey Musgraves’ Golden Hour the year before. Clearly I wasn’t disappointed with what I heard considering it’s placement on my countdown. I can see this record becoming an all-time favourite of mine, it’s chamber-pop production styling drew me in immediately and as I become more engrossed with the lyrics I knew it was a winner. The album opener provides a more hopeful view of the future with lyrics like ‘you’re gonna be just fine, but babe a lot’s gonna change’, before plunging into some really heartbreaking songs like ‘Something to Believe’, which has a chorus that lands with a cathartic vocal delivery as she croons ‘so I just lay down and cry’. It’s a really stellar album, and makes me super excited to delve into Natalie’s back catalogue in the new year.

uljEMGh.jpg

Favourites: home with you, mirrored heart, cellophane

With only one LP and a handful of EPs, FKA twigs quickly became an all-time favourite artist of mine. Her experimental, off-kilter take on R&B never failed to enchant me. So after almost four years between records, I was beyond excited but also nervous for what she was about to deliver. Thankfully, it would be a short but excellent sophomore album that dealt with recent health issues and the breakdown and aftermath of a very public relationship. Moving away from the more sensual sounds and lyrics of her debut, this album’s is visceral in its heartbreak - you can feel it oozing from her vocals in ‘home with you’ and from immaculate closer ‘cellophane’, and the plodding, faltering production of ‘mirrored heart’. It’s an excellent follow-up to a debut that was groundbreaking in its own right.

QjFnNFi.jpg

Favourites: Mariners Apartment Complex, Love Song, Cinnamon Girl

This might be her best album but with a discography that’s been so consistently incredible, it’s hard to say. I tried doing a write up for this but really couldn’t express my love for it adequately so again, just go read Hunty’s review. Singing off, bang bang, kiss kiss.

Gorgeous top2 and time for me to listen to Weyes Blood! #graemeSUGGESTS bebe1 

6 minutes ago, Venus XCX said:

Gorgeous top2 and time for me to listen to Weyes Blood! #graemeSUGGESTS bebe1 

I feel like you'll enjoy Titanic Rising immensely. jj2 And maybe even the Angel Olsen album if you bothered to listen one of her songs besides Windows. jj1 

So is this like a good taste club or something? eve1 I came across the thread by accident whilst looking for Caroline Polachek topics.

But, dash my wig, Angel Olsen and Weyes Blood in one post? @Lachlan yas2 Two artists who hit me hard with All Mirrors and Andromeda, respectively. I'm in the process of getting better acquainted with them jj2 Also a quick mention of Julia Jacklin - I saw some of her set at Latitude and was ready to fall in love, but hearing her on record hasn't been quite the same.

4 hours ago, Modern Woman said:

So is this like a good taste club or something? eve1 I came across the thread by accident whilst looking for Caroline Polachek topics.

But, dash my wig, Angel Olsen and Weyes Blood in one post? @Lachlan yas2 Two artists who hit me hard with All Mirrors and Andromeda, respectively. I'm in the process of getting better acquainted with them jj2 Also a quick mention of Julia Jacklin - I saw some of her set at Latitude and was ready to fall in love, but hearing her on record hasn't been quite the same.

I feel like the Angel Olsen album slipped under everyone's radars even though it's magnificent. oprah5

19 hours ago, Lachlan said:

I feel like the Angel Olsen album slipped under everyone's radars even though it's magnificent. oprah5

I've listened to a few of the other tracks and nothing is as arresting as All Mirrors oprah5 I suppose that's the trouble with making the best song on the album the first single.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.