Dennis Reynolds

Poor reception of Cats prompts Universal to send improved version to theaters; urges them to replace print ASAP

After Universal Pictures’ new film “Cats” was clawed and torn to shreds by critics last week, the studio told movie theaters on Friday that it would be sending a new version of the film with “some improved visual effects.”

The move of replacing a film already in theaters with an “improved” version is unheard of But according to a copy of a memo obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, director Tom Hooper has been upfront about the fact that he barely finished the CGI on the film in time for the world premiere in New York City last week, and the switch is at his request.

Critics have disparaged “Cats,” which stars Francesca Hayward, Taylor Swift, Judi Dench, Jennifer Hudson and Idris Elba, among others. The film received a C+ CinemaScore and was slapped with a 19% critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

The updated film is expected to be available for cinemas to download on Sunday via a satellite server, but for exhibitors that don’t have access to the server, they are expected to receive a hard drive by Tuesday, according to Universal. The studio is asking that theaters replace the current print of Cats as soon as possible.

Universal didn’t immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.

https://www.thewrap.com/cats-poor-reception-prompts-universal-to-send-an-improved-updated-version-to-theaters/

58 minutes ago, Madonna said:

The damage control because all of the stars in the movie don't want a flop on their resumé. gag1 

Common sense should have inclined them not to cast the shitstain that is James Corden with top billing, but who knows gag1 

15 hours ago, ShutUpRae said:

To be honest rotten tomatoes is trash these daysgag1 i don't get why people care so much about it's ratings when their bias is blatant

They don’t make the reviews themselves, it’s just a collection of critics from various media sources all across the country. 

On 12/22/2019 at 4:19 PM, Darth Sidious said:

I think the visual effects were the least of their problems rip4

They should’ve done an animated version, or not have try to morph the actors into cats themselves rip4

I just don't know if a Cats movie would have really worked in any capacity. It's kind of a freak of nature that it did so well on broadway.

But I agree, the visual effects were probably the least of their issues, and hardly the main gripe of critics. 

8 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

I just don't know if a Cats movie would have really worked in any capacity. It's kind of a freak of nature that it did so well on broadway.

this is what i keep thinking, it's so divisive as a musical already that it just wouldn't translate any better into a movie, never expected this to do well at all dead2

Just now, Hyun. said:

this is what i keep thinking, it's so divisive as a musical already that it just wouldn't translate any better into a movie, never expected this to do well at all dead2

I think the fact that the arrival of this movie had everyone saying "Wait, the plot of Cats is what now?" proves that not only did people care so little about this show that they didn't even know the plot, but also that it was such a ridiculous premise that it can't stand as a big-budget film. 

Just now, LittleDudeNT5 said:

I think the fact that the arrival of this movie had everyone saying "Wait, the plot of Cats is what now?" proves that not only did people care so little about this show that they didn't even know the plot, but also that it was such a ridiculous premise that it can't stand as a big-budget film. 

right? and tbh from what i've seen people still leave the movie not knowing what it was about at all rip4 it's doomed from the start bc of the weird nature of the musical and as much as they tried, it just wasn't gonna make for a good movie, even while being one of the biggest productions

I’ve read the plot for the musical before and I definitely came out more confused than I already was. I’ve never actually watched the musical, because I just don’t enjoy musicals, but I wanna see the movie just because everything about it is so bizarre. dead7 

Okay, the whole allure of the musical to start with was the hair and the makeup. Doing it digitally rips the magic out of it. No amount of "fixing" is going to inject more soul into what's a pretty lifeless film. 

2 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Well, there isn't really a plot to the musical at all. That's kind of why it's so renowned among theatre people; it's purely a musical experience. That and the makeup is what made it such a cult classic. 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They don’t make the reviews themselves, it’s just a collection of critics from various media sources all across the country. 

So wait, they sent out an unfinished film for critics? Yikes  

I think the visual effects were the least of their problems They should’ve done an animated version, or not have try to morph the actors into cats themselves  

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.