Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Venus XCX

Venus XCX's Top 19 Albums of 2019

Hop9wwD.png

Well it's an iconic tradition and we're in the season of traditions! This year we are reviewing a record 19 albums and we've thoroughly enjoyed them all. There is no room to be dragging the worst albums in the last positions like last year because we were FED in 2019. Primarily, this year was all about my newfound love for Madonna's immaculate discography but I couldn't help but also enjoy the girls' latest offerings. Some were independent, some saw their peak commercially, some of them were even men. As we all know the decade is closing and I may even add some special lists at the end to celebrate such a memorable musical decade. 

19. Kindness - "Something Like A War"

18. Summer Walker - "Over It"

17. Ciara - "Beauty Marks"

16. Kim Petras - "Clarity"

15. Beyonce - "The Gift"

14. Blood Orange - "Angel’s Pulse"

13. Snoh Aalegra - "Those Damn Feels Again"

12. Taylor Swift - "Lover"

11. Madonna - "Madame X"

10. Tove Lo - "Sunshine Kitty"

9. Ariana Grande - "thank u, next"

8. Carly Rae Jepsen - "Dedicated"

7. Jessica Mauboy - "Hilda"

6. FKA Twigs - "Magdalene"
5. Charli XCX - "Charli"

4. Tinashe - "Songs For You"

3. Caroline Polachek - "Pang"

2. Banks - "III"

1. Lana Del Rey - "Norman Fucking Rockwell!"

Venus XCX's Top 14 Albums Of 2014

Venus XCX's Top 10 Albums of 2015

Venus XCX's Top 16 Albums of 2016

Venus XCX's Top 17 Albums of 2017

Venus XCX's Top 18 Albums of 2018

eVgtQw7.png

Trinity: "The Warning", "Cry Everything", "Dreams Fall"

Thank you New Music Friday on Spotify to introducing me to this man! I saw a Robyn feature and had to click.. Upon investigating the rest of the album, you will hear uncredited Robyn features and a great culmination of the production you fell in love with on “Honey” and “A Seat at The Table” as well as Adam’s own twists. At times the production can seem minimal but to it’s benefit, groovy enough to keep you entertained but also for mood setting. The guests certainly heighten this album but Bainbridge’s voice on it’s own fits with his music gorgeously. 

23gV1Rz.png

Trinity: "Fun Girl", "Tonight", "Off Of You"

Summer Walker seems to have came out of nowhere and became the it girl of 2019 RnB. I had never heard of her before this album and had to jump on the bandwagon. Lauded as a quiet, socially anxious new artist, a wide range of emotions shine through on this impressive debut. The unedited acoustic “Fun Girl” became an instant favourite of mine showing a stripped down, down in the dumps Summer. The album is a whirlwind of her thoughts during and after a relationship, dangerously smitten in “I’ll Kill You” with Jhene Aiko who seems to be a huge influence for Walker, and freely single in “Off Of You”. All in all Over It is a confident and daring debut, expressing the confidence and vulnerability a woman can feel, at the same time proving she’s now the princess of slow groove RnB.

rDC9pgG.png

Trinity: "I Love Myself (feat. Macklemore)", "Set", "Beauty Marks"

Ciara booked that AMA stage she spoke of and Lachlan, Liam and I couldn’t help but bop to her 80s Whitney infectious “Thinkin’ Bout You” as we live messaged the show. It was enough to persuade me to finally listen to a Ciara album in full, and I wasn’t sorely disappointed. Despite being one of those albums you only listen to solely because releases are so scarce in the first half of a year, I am still able to listen to a lot of the album despite being littered with filler. With a bopalicious lead single like “Level Up”, you’d expect the album’s content to be the carefree, dance crazy Ciara is known for, but as the title suggests, it’s Ciara at her rawest; opening up about her marriage and insecurities. The album opens up with I Love Myself, a confident tell all about Macklemore and Ci’s personal flaws. Never would I have thought I’d enjoy anything involving Macklemore but his lyrics are so honest I just have to give him respect and as a result it’s one of the songs that I love to revisit months after. Don’t get me wrong, the album is full of bops too, including the collab we didn’t know we need “Girl Gang” with Kelly Rowland and Set, but the simply gorgeous ballads Trust Myself and title track are what have truly stuck from this album.

35 minutes ago, Venus XCX said:

23gV1Rz.png

Trinity: "Fun Girl", "Tonight", "Off Of You"

I could feel the potential in Girls Need Love (which was my #1 song of 2018 btw) and I’m so proud of her!!! 

t3XnEtQ.png

Trinity: "Blow It All", "Sweet Spot", "Personal Hell"

I can’t help but carry guilt streaming this album seeing as I’m giving Dr Luke 0.3 cents with every listen and I have to look at Kim with a sideeye with her complacency, but we can’t deny she can make a great pop record. Kim’s known for her too-big-for-this-world persona, becoming an icon in the face of adversity for the LGB and especially T community and this shines through in her boastful pop music. With the album lacking an identifiable theme and bordering on a collection that would have been better off as Spotify standalone single packs, Kim proves she can explore all the worlds of pop; whether it be a Daft Punky sound on “Sweet Spot”, guitar strumming, bass thumping “Blow It All” or appropriating Starboy culture with “Icy”. 

JOTr6Bj.png

Trinity: "BIGGER", "OTHERSIDE", "Spirit"

The audience may not have treated Beyonce well commercially this year but she’s treated her Hive well with two album releases. Despite me not listening to HOMECOMING as I’ve never seen the point in live albums, The Gift was enough to hold us over until her next proper studio album release. “Spirit” at first seemed tacky and made as a family friendly theme song for the Lion King remake, but with the rest of the soundtrack it all made sense. The album is a celebration of her and the featured artist’s African heritage, and if you call that the next “black influences” then so be it! “FIND YOUR WAY BACK” is a refreshingly poppy sound for Beyoncé, as is Major Lazer credited “Already”. B also lets lesser known artists shine like Nija on pure ass shaker “My Power”. The true highlights are “OTHERSIDE” and opener “BIGGER’ which, in my opinion, are on Lemonade’s level of excellence. I truly have not seen enough appreciation for the former. 

4 hours ago, Dear Wonderland Called Low said:

pvqlu5794w141.png

This looks so ugly. Good it did not made the cut for the album vomit1

The final shot chosen for the album cover is sad as well; she should have just had someone make a real album cover

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.