Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Venus XCX

Venus XCX's Top 19 Albums of 2019

8 hours ago, Merryem said:

this didn’t make top

2 hours ago, Lachlan said:

MAGDALENE not even top 5 is laughable. lmfao2 

9 hours ago, Urbanov said:

Not at #6 nnnn

Yall don't wanna know it's original position then oprah5 

9 hours ago, Luca said:

If Tunashe gets the #1 I'll FUME! 

Your disdain for Miss Nashe is worrying oprah12 

3 hours ago, Hunty Bear said:

expecting

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell!
  2. Songs For You
  3. PANG
  4. Charli
  5. III

You have the albums right but the ranking ... you'll have to wait and see! oprah5 Even I will have to see since two albums are battling for #2 atp fall7 

6 hours ago, Hunty Bear said:

I think it's time to say it after seeing it highlighted in 2 Aussies' trinities: bad idea is the most overrated song on the album oprah5 

...interesting trinity choices besides WYIMR oprah5 nailed the writeup though!

shocking inclusion! didn't expect you to be into it at all considering your past with her but I appreciate the recognition jj2 

expecting

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell!
  2. Songs For You
  3. PANG
  4. Charli
  5. III

in that order (maybe switching #1 with #2 and #4 with #5), since y'all are strangely into BANKS STILL even though we're approaching a literal new decade...

b8514939e5e50412434250add60cce980cda5a41

Leave Jillian alone ffs

2D6Yhqy.gif

On 12/23/2019 at 2:39 PM, Venus XCX said:

t3XnEtQ.png

Trinity: "Blow It All", "Sweet Spot", "Personal Hell"

Where is Icy, Another One and All I Do Is Cry?

e83uVU3.gif

On 12/23/2019 at 2:43 PM, Venus XCX said:

JOTr6Bj.png

Trinity: "BIGGER", "OTHERSIDE", "Spirit"

Better stan My Power and Bigger because they get paid dust by not only the GP but the Hive themselves.

e83uVU3.gif

PxTRK2h.png

Trinity: "Cross You Out (feat. Sky Ferreira)", "Official", "I Don't Wanna Know"

But wow what a moment to have Charli combine everything we loved from her previous albums into one self titled masterpiece; True Romance’s synthpop experimenting, Sucker’s …,  and Number 1 Angel and Pop2’s pots and pans with iconic features. Charli’s personal life has always been sort of a mystery so it was great to be learn a lot about her in this album; “Official” is where Charli details the little but important things of her long term relationship and “I Don’t Wanna Know” is Charli at her most captivating. Attempts at the mainstream “Blame It On Your Love” and “1999” don’t gel well with the rest of the album but there are so many highs that they are still listenable with the rest of the project. Who knew a the female feature of a popper sniffer and methhead in the form of “Cross You Out” would become top tier female collab of the decade? Who knew an ASMR binaural test deconstructed pots and pans mess would become the biggest bop of the year? Nobody knows. That’s the fuck of it all.

dlgPpLd.png

Trinity: "Remember When", "Life's Too Short", "Feelings"

A lot of you were expecting this higher! All eyes were on Tinashe to see how she would come back after leaving/being dropped by RCA, going independent, having her Nashe project shelved and being clowned in her first public breakup. Songs For You starts with a bang, “Feelings” is a statement, an independent, confident Tinashe but seems like a front since the rest of the album’s content is heavily … feelings about this man. Tinashe kicked off the era with UK underground club alt RnB record “Die A Little Bit”. It took time to grow on me as it was such a different sound for her, but I discovered that’s the beauty of it once the whole project came around. To drop a 15 track project is a huge achievement for any independent artist, but that’s not to say SFY could have been more polished if some tracks didn’t make the cut. With some songs from Nashe the album can seem confused, and I think the album could have held it’s own without “Hopscotch”, “Link Up” and “Cash Race”. The songs that seemed to have challenged Tinashe creatively like “Life’s Too Short”, “Stormy Weather” and “Stormy Weather” are so distinctive they are on Nightride-level genius. Of course there’s no Tinashe classic without a midtempo, and that comes in the form of “Know Better” and “Remember When”, the latter quickly becoming my most played album track by her. It’s simply a gorgeous conclusion to her story with B*n and the project. I didn’t know Tinashe + an acoustic guitar was everything I needed. Songs For You is truly a return to form after the shocking Joyride and I can’t wait for the next chapter for Tee with RocNation.

GGGOdKE.png

Trinity: "Door", "Look At Me Now", "Hit Me Where It Hurts"

Upon starting this list I revisited Pang and realised it deserves a higher spot. This is one of the few albums of the year I can listen to at least 3 times in a row and not get sick of it. How Caroline uses her voice as an instrument to create such a dreamy soundscape with black Björk and Kate Bush influences is what makes this album so captivating. “Hey Big Eyes” gets me feeling very homogenic and to have “Door” be your first single under your real name… yeah that hook and that build up is icarolinic. The album’s slower points “I Give Up”, “Insomnia” and “Go As A Dream” is the most haunting and gorgeus atmospheric pop music. Alternatively, the album brings a lot of joy with the self assurance of “Look At Me Now”, a beautiful story of friendship in “New Normal” and the showing of bananas in “So Hot You’re Hurting My Feelings”. A gay cult classic like 2015's "EMOTION", Pang is an amazing snapshot of Polachek as a musician and I can’t wait for her next project.

Spoiler

Ds3uyRr.png

Trinity: "Sawzall", "If We Were Made Of Water", "What About Love"

III is a rollercoaster of emotions. The album starts with an angry, agressive Jillian with “Till Now” and lead “Gimme”, then dips right into the downtempos we love her for with “Contaminated”. The presence of producer BJ Burton does not go unnoticed, bringing a unique sound to Banks’s discography with the searing thumping production of bangers like “The Fall”, “Stroke” and “Godless”. Thankfully the album matches with The Altar moreso than Goddess, the latter being too minimal and dull. Other than the lead, “Hawaiian Mazes”, “Alaska” and “Propaganda” strike me as her most mainstream songs and it’s refreshing to have lighter songs in such an emotionally conflicting album. The more introspective, romantic songs are what shine through on this album; “If We Were Made Of Water” opening with rain and bird is a sonic embrace, “Sawzall”, rumoured to be about self blame after friend’s suicide goes down in Bank’s history as one of the best songs of 2019. Banks really pushed herself sonically with this album and when we think we know what she’ll serve, she completely blows us away with something different.

Spoiler

iavHswX.png

Trinity: "How to disappear", "Norman Fucking Rockwell!", "Mariners Apartment Complex"

In 2017 I ranked Lust For Life as #1, that didn’t age well, but this time it feels truly deserving. NFR! is simply so ahead of it’s time we probably don’t realise all of it’s brilliance yet. To save time, read Lachlan’s review which will lead you to Hunty Bear’s. 

2 minutes ago, Venus XCX said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ds3uyRr.png

Trinity: "Sawzall", "If We Were Made Of Water", "What About Love"

Reveal hidden contents

iavHswX.png

Trinity: "How to disappear", "Norman Fucking Rockwell!", "Mariners Apartment Complex"

Yes Banks, such an overlooked album!!! Alaska is such an amazing song too giveup1 

NFR! clap3 obviously #1

1 minute ago, Venus XCX said:

She was just in Australia I'm fuming she only did a festival giveup1 

I was about to see her last year but she cancelled her show one day before giveup1 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.