Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

LÉON

Artists Who Are Desperate to Crack America

Inspired by Little Mix popping up as a suggested video.

As far as I can tell, most users on here aren't from America, but there is a perception that making it in the USA is THAT goal in the entertainment industry. Little Mix are guilty of this, particularly because:

1. A lot of their videos are American in style, such as Love Me Like You (teen prom)

2. They collaborate almost exclusively with American artists (Missy Elliott, Cheat Codes, Jason Derulo, Nicki Minaj)

3. Their songs have that polished, bubblegum pop sound a la Katy Perry, Britney etc.

I'm sure Little Mix are not alone. Jessie J also springs to mind. And yet their efforts haven't really paid off on the Billboard Hot 100...

Aside from examples - how do my fellow Europeans feel about this?

Hm. I somewhat agree and I don't at the same time. I would have said in the past, Little Mix was a yes but this year, they've not been trying as much - maybe because of not being on Syco now? And come to think of it, Syco always tried to push artists to the US. 

Frankly, I'd say almost all UK artists are desperate to make it in the US. It's just that most don't even have a chance of making it, and only a slim few really breakthrough. Nothing wrong with wanting that either since its a bigger music market tbh, but I do think it backfires when it fails and they lose their UK base too - case in point being Cher Lloyd; had 2 UK hits, abandoned the UK as soon as she pushed Want U Back in the US, then released Oath and a new version of S&S as US exclusive; and then released her followup album 2 months later here (than the US)... and still Sirens was #41 here and didnt chart in the US. After that, it was over for her. Wonder how it would have turned out had they not forgotten about the UK after With Ur Love. 

17 minutes ago, RihannaRTT said:

Hm. I somewhat agree and I don't at the same time. I would have said in the past, Little Mix was a yes but this year, they've not been trying as much - maybe because of not being on Syco now? And come to think of it, Syco always tried to push artists to the US. 

Frankly, I'd say almost all UK artists are desperate to make it in the US. It's just that most don't even have a chance of making it, and only a slim few really breakthrough. Nothing wrong with wanting that either since its a bigger music market tbh, but I do think it backfires when it fails and they lose their UK base too - case in point being Cher Lloyd; had 2 UK hits, abandoned the UK as soon as she pushed Want U Back in the US, then released Oath and a new version of S&S as US exclusive; and then released her followup album 2 months later here (than the US)... and still Sirens was #41 here and didnt chart in the US. After that, it was over for her. Wonder how it would have turned out had they not forgotten about the UK after With Ur Love. 

This. They pushed Leona Lewis so badly to be a huge sensation in the US but it failed rip3 

There's a singer in my country called Eleni Foureira (if you are a Eurovision fan you would probably know her). She kinda tries too hard to be a well known name outside of Greece, she's a reject of Beyonce, Rihanna, Madonna etc.

bebe1

Even worse is when they just don’t do anything here, including not putting their albums out here. Cheryl, Rita Ora, Jessie J, and Marina, for example, have either released albums that never received any release in the US, or it does get released but at a later date.

2 hours ago, RihannaRTT said:

Well their first release without Syco was with Nicki Minaj carla1 After that they kinda flopped. Bounce Back didn't really help them bounce back, but at least it sampled a British song ny1

I forgot Cher Lloyd existed. Joss Stone did the same thing, and then blamed being trapped in her record label for her floppage. I seem to remember Delta Goodrem tried to make it in the US, and didn't release one of her albums in the UK even though it was her main market after Australia. Sad. Where is she now? jj1

1 hour ago, Princess Aurora said:

This. They pushed Leona Lewis so badly to be a huge sensation in the US but it failed rip3 

First British female #1 in the US since Kim Wilde she did THAT kylie6

28 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

Wait she did? rip4 Was Bleeding Love that successful?

Yes, it was massive!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/mar/27/news.paulmacinnes

And was also apparently the 17th biggest song of the 00s in the US:

https://www.billboard.com/charts#/charts-decade-end/hot-100-songs?year=2009&begin=11&order=position

2 minutes ago, Modern Woman said:

The song was huge here in Italy back in 2008 but I didn't remember that it hit the #1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100. Let's thank Jesse Mccartney for giving that song to her so she improved that ny1 Also Better In Time and Run were smash hits over here.

4 hours ago, Princess Aurora said:

To be honest her momentum in the UK had pretty much fizzled out by the time her 3rd album came. 

21 hours ago, Princess Aurora said:

The song was huge here in Italy back in 2008 but I didn't remember that it hit the #1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100. Let's thank Jesse Mccartney for giving that song to her so she improved that ny1 Also Better In Time and Run were smash hits over here.

cry6 Better In Time was such a bop back then cry6

It's a shame it aged like cheap wine.

Looking at her discography, I can't really remember how much of it goes... Outta My Head was a BAWP though - robbed of single status alex1kylie6

40 minutes ago, Modern Woman said:

cry6 Better In Time was such a bop back then cry6

It's a shame it aged like cheap wine.

Looking at her discography, I can't really remember how much of it goes... Outta My Head was a BAWP though - robbed of single status alex1kylie6

True, Forgive Me was a choice nicki5 even though the Moto Blanco remix slaps. However, she should have deserved better. After 2011, she really disappeared even though almost Nobody knows her 2015 Album I Am rip4 Simon Cowell messed up her career

20 hours ago, Princess Aurora said:

Simon Cowell messed up her career

He does that to most X Factor winners, they only really have a chance of multi-album success if they're in a group and even then some of them flopped.

To answer the OP again... Lily Allen, even that P!nk song she was on managed to flop compared to the other singles. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.