Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Dennis Reynolds

How do you feel about "necessary tie-ins"?

I'm just making up the quoted term here, I don't know if there's a real one. Anyway, here's my rant...

In the most recent Star Wars film, a lot is left out. Set ups from the other films are basically ignored and even new plot points are left underdeveloped or left out entirely. When I first saw it, I just felt like "Well, they planned this out pretty poorly, didn't they?" And they did, but little did I know that there were actual explanations in existence, just not in the movie...

If you wanna know what happened to Luke's other students, you gotta read the new Kylo Ren comic book. If you wanna know why Mustafar looks totally different, you gotta do the new Darth Vader virtual reality thing. If you wanna hear Palpatine's broadcast which is mentioned in the opening crawl, you have to play Fortnite. Like, WHAT THE FUCK? rip3 I have nothing against expanded material, but you shouldn't actually have to keep up on it all in order for the main product to make sense....

Oh 100% agree with you on that. When I heard that all of these major, burning, necessary for the plot aspects were left out of the movie and given to comics and video games, I fumed. orangu1 

I love when stuff like that expands on the story, but not when it's needed to understand the story. Ugh how irritating. orangu1 

Another notable example that pops in mind is the fact that you need to have read some comic to have known that Anakin's father is Palpatine (who used the force or whatever to impregnate his mom). Not as film-relevant but still stupid. And then you have all these retcons in the Disney era media that you'd think have been mentioned in the original 6 films, or in the earlier work Disney released (such as the main characters who were supposedly present from the battle of Endor all the way til ep 7 + had connections to Luke and Leia in Battlefront II, the events of Rogue One, all the new force abilities dumped on us in ep 8-9). A messy franchise.

25 minutes ago, Divine said:

Oh 100% agree with you on that. When I heard that all of these major, burning, necessary for the plot aspects were left out of the movie and given to comics and video games, I fumed. orangu1 

I love when stuff like that expands on the story, but not when it's needed to understand the story. Ugh how irritating. orangu1 

Yeah, that is exactly what those extensions should be for. In the Shattered Empire comic book and in the new Battlefront II game (some of the very little of the new Star Wars EU I've read/played), they actually do refer to him cruising through the galaxy in search of artifacts related to the Force, which amazingly is something they refer to him doing in TROS in between the original and sequel trilogies, and to me that's a good way to expand on it and make the story feel bigger. I just don't wanna see movies and actively feel like I'm missing something rip2 

32 minutes ago, Sharpay Evans said:

Another notable example that pops in mind is the fact that you need to have read some comic to have known that Anakin's father is Palpatine (who used the force or whatever to impregnate his mom). Not as film-relevant but still stupid. And then you have all these retcons in the Disney era media that you'd think have been mentioned in the original 6 films, or in the earlier work Disney released (such as the main characters who were supposedly present from the battle of Endor all the way til ep 7 + had connections to Luke and Leia in Battlefront II, the events of Rogue One, all the new force abilities dumped on us in ep 8-9). A messy franchise.

Is that the new idea? I don't know, I feel like they sort of implied Darth Plagueis was behind Anakin being Space Jesus but whatever, I don't really count that in my personal canon.

Yeah some of the new Force powers were kinda dumb, especially Force ghosts actively being able to create lightning and use telekinesis - like, why don't they help the hero then? They needed a line about how the dark side makes it impossible to use those powers in the presence of its users or something...

I enjoyed Rogue One and Battlefront II and I felt that those actually explained what happened to their main characters.

7 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Is that the new idea? I don't know, I feel like they sort of implied Darth Plagueis was behind Anakin being Space Jesus but whatever, I don't really count that in my personal canon.

Image result for palpatine shmi

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.