Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Freaky Prince

The Powerpuff Poppers: A Decade Of Pop

Spoiler

Before I begin with my small review, thank you very much for checking this thread out! I may be aware my taste isn't as complex or interesting as many of the stans out there, but this is just based on my reviews, preferences and taste. Thank you! 

2rQtpeb.png

FCe8T31.png

eArH1oX.png

#12 — "Expectations" is the debut album miss Hayley Kiyoko. This album was one of my favorite albums of 2018, and also this decade. I never expected myself enjoying her record. Not that I dislike Hayley, but it just sounded odd in my head. This project sounds like a "melodramatic summertime breakup". As probably the majority of the people who heard of Hayley know, we like to call her the lesbian Jesus. The album in particular is about a love that will just never happen, no matter what the couple tries. Exploring through themes like love, LGBT, heartbreak, sex, rejection and denial. With a synth heavy intro mixed with a background atmosphere filled with seagulls and beach sounds, Hayley brings us into the world of the "Expectations" album. This album is a loop, meaning it's non-stop and doesn't have any breaks (something like Confessions by Madonna). Because she does this, you get more into the story and concept of the album, which is basically stellar. I suggest everyone to listen to this alternative pop record, because it's a serve. 

#LucaSUGGESTS: "Under Blue / Take Me In", "Wanna Be Missed" and "Mercy / Gatekeeper"

vuAMg9s.png

600x600bf.png

KRoY1Yq.png

#FreakyREVIEW: Is it the best album of the decade or anywhere near? Of course not. But since we are not Pitchfork, we are rating our own personal favorites and albums that shaped the decade for us. Had she been one day early, Kesha wouldn't have had the privilege to be on my decade end list, but since it kicked off the decade on Jan 1st, here she is. Kesha's debut, the glittery Animal, is a staple of what a pop song in the late 2000s and early 2010s sounded like. The constant synths, a hard pop beat and a catchy melody all sealed with, well we can like it or not, Dr. Luke's signature print of that time. Animal has definitely aged and is dated now, but I don't necessarily see that as a negative thing. I see nothing wrong with a song resembling its time and sound. Animal's sound definitely reminds me of the early days of me starting to listen to pop music actively and exploring brand new artists. Overall, Animal is a fun, easy to listen to party album, with a tear-jerker here and there and melodies and sounds that will take you exactly a decade earlier to some more fun and better days.

#FreakyTRINITY: Boots & Boys / Dancing With Tears In My Eyes / Party At A Rich Dude's House

IUfMYat.png

jq4TPqQ.jpgFEEeR8z.png

#PhoebeREVIEW: Starboy was the first album that I heard from The Weeknd's discography. My attention was caught after seeing that he had collaborated with Daft Punk and the masterpiece that's the lead single. The 1980s retro and 'Star Wars' inspired visuals were imposing as well. When I sat through the entire album, I found myself enjoying a great number of its songs and quickly the album became my favorite one by any male artist. The at-that-time newcoming trap sound mixed with a few disco and synth elements makes it hard not to love this astonishing body of work. If you haven't heard this masterpiece, I highly recommend that you start listening to it asap, especially if you are quite the disco junkie like myself.

#PhoebeSUGGESTS: A Lonely Night | Starboy | False Alarm

3 minutes ago, Royalty said:

Popfection could never cry9 loving the reviews so far especially @Phoebe’s one because I have never listened to Starboy and you got me interested yas2 

The way you're gonna stan like there's no tomorrow whew rose1

Just now, Phoebe said:

The way you're gonna stan it like there's no tomorrow whew rose1

2020 already a good year with good music suggestions cry9 

48 minutes ago, Luca said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Before I begin with my small review, thank you very much for checking this thread out! I may be aware my taste isn't as complex or interesting as many of the stans out there, but this is just based on my reviews, preferences and taste. Thank you! 

2rQtpeb.png

FCe8T31.png

eArH1oX.png

#LucaSUGGESTS: "Under Blue / Take Me In", "Wanna Be Missed" and "Mercy / Gatekeeper"

I have never had the desire of getting into her but this review made me curious. Let me give ha a spin or two. juicy1 

Just now, Madonna said:

I have never had the desire of getting into her but this review made me curious. Let me give ha a spin or two. juicy1 

Leave your thoughts (& prayers) here sis! cry7 

9KGjRzu.png

1638429436254214~c5_1080x1080.jpeg

ipWlAoE.png

#FreakyREVIEW: Billie definitely ended the decade with a bang! Before this album came out, I had only known "You Should See Me In a Crown" and really liked it, but never really bothered with her other music. However, when this was announced I got strangely excited for it. Had I listened to this a few years ago, I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed it. But, this year, it's different. I was amazed at how hooked I was on this album after first listen. I was not expecting myself to like an album like this. Billie did a great job at making an alternative sounding album, yet kinda making it feel pop and mainstream in a way. The production is stellar, with all the different layers and sounds. People judging her voice can go *redacted* it. It's about time pop fans realize that singing abilities are not all about hitting octaves and whistle notes. Billie sounds pleasing and consistent in her own lane and her voice is very soothing. Is this the type of sound I want for the next decade? Not sure, because I feel like many artist would butcher it in trying their own attempts, but I guess we will have to wait and see. Billie is not going anywhere.

#FreakyTRINITY: All The Good Girl Go To Hell / I Love You / You Should See Me In a Crown

fi9Ld4T.png

n3nuG0h.jpg

utUfFhj.png

#PhoebeREVIEW: This is the well-known debut album by the legendary Lana Del Rey. I still remember when I first listened to this outstanding record. Everything seemed so perfect, from the personal and remarkable lyrics, to the production all the way to the album's visuals and music videos. This album represents the perfect mix of multiple genres with hip-hop, pop and alternative being the highlights. Many critics thought that she was a one-hit wonder or a fraud, but this album stood the test of time and still sounds fresh to this day. This 300-week charting album has inspired dozens of newcoming artists with Billie Eilish and Lorde being the most obvious ones and I'm quite certain it will continue to do so in the future.

#PhoebeSUGGESTS: Born to Die | National Anthem | Off to the Races

3 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

People judging her voice can go *redacted* it. It's about time pop fans realize that singing abilities are not all about hitting octaves and whistle notes.

Now why you spill? 642767117174833167.png?v=1

rIWwZCU.png

Kke6hR6.png

YLEdAZw.png

Katy's darkest album, yes yes! Just kidding, but wow what an era this album had. PRISM is my favorite Katy Perry album. It's her most vulnerable album (see the ballads and the overall production on this record). PRISM is that record that made me a Katy stan and I also went to her concert where she promoted this album, which was perhaps one of the best shows in the history of pop shows. PRISM is about finding the light, finding your element and being yourself. The overall feeling on this album is light, kinda full of nature and also a bit bittersweet. Slow songs with a catchy beat in the background and fun (sometimes deep) lyrics. The singles on this album were cute, but it are the non-singles that stood out the most, to me personally. They are also quite different from the essential theme of the album, like c'mon Katy out of all the songs on this album, you choose "Birthday" and "This Is How We Do" as singles to represent this record? Not a cute look! 

#LucaSUGGESTS: "Ghost", "Double Rainbow" and "Unconditionally"

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.