Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Ariana

10-year-old forced to remove anxiety-causing shirt at airport

A 10-year-old New Zealand boy was forced to flip his shirt inside out after airport officials determined its print could make other passengers feel anxious.

Stevie Lucas was vacationing in South Africa, where his mother is originally from, to visit his grandparents when the incident occurred, the NZ Herald reported. 

While boarding a flight at O.R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg on Dec. 17, Stevie was reportedly informed by airport security that he could not wear his T-shirt, which included a large, realistic print of a green snake, on the plane, as it might make other passengers uncomfortable. 

The boy's parents, Steve and Marga, apparently advised their son to flip his shirt inside out so that the offending snake pattern would be hidden, leaving the young traveler in a simple black tee. He was then allowed to board the plane without any further issues. 

Following the incident, the airport defended its decision, claiming the move was solely meant to protect other passengers.

"Security officers have the right to determine if an object has the potential to harm fellow passengers and crew members” by causing certain feelings of anxiousness, an airport representative said, according to the Daily Mail.

Stevie's parents said their son thankfully remained in good spirits throughout the ordeal and even "proposed a toast" to their South African adventure upon the family's return home from the trip. 

Source

21 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

They are right, that shit's fucking creepy and scary

I've seen much worse things printed on a shirt. Our current society is just a bunch of whiny-ass pussies. ny12 

39 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

I get chills just from looking at a picture of a snake, so he deserves it juicy1

wait someone else with the same problem dead2 When I was like 10, we were reading books in class and I chose a geography book and opened to a page with snakes and I yelped, slammed the book on the floor and had a panic attack dead2 Doesn't affect me much now but I'd still probably jump if I saw one unexpectedly fall5 

1 hour ago, attitude said:

I can understand this. Everyone is terrified of something. Just because snakes don't scare you doesn't mean it wouldn't horrify someone else. 

Yes but not to the degree a ten year old can't wear a shirt with an animal on it jj4

Flying is already an anxiety-inducing experience for a lot of people - without the added phobia triggers.

It is a biT over-the-top but I can see why some people would find his t-shirt troublesome. I wonder if he would have had the same reaction if he was wearing a top with a clown on it xtina1

19 hours ago, Freaky Prince said:

I get chills just from looking at a picture of a snake, so he deserves it juicy1

this is something that bubbles would do, not buttercup juicy1

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.