Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

LÉON

Were the 2010s the end of the Classic Faves?

And not just on the forum jj2

And I'm talking the "classic" faves, i.e. not Ariana and Taylor, whose sections were relatively new, and Lana, who isn't really out there for hits.

All of them had their last new hit in the early-to-mid 2010s, and the majority spent a large part of the decade in relative obscurity.

Of the former faves, Kylie's last hit was in 2011, Britney, Kesha and Madonna's in 2012, Christina and Mariah's in 2013, Rihanna and Beyoncé's in 2016.

Only Katy and Gags managed to snatch a hit in 2019, although Katy didn't make the top 10 in major markets and Gaga's song was already a hit in most places in 2018 - plus it was from a soundtrack, and not her usual material.

Christina's last hit was as a feature, Madonna's only smashed because of the features, Britney has spent most of the decade being a feature on her own songs lol3 Kylie and Mariah had to resort to Q4 and Christmas to sustain themselves lol3 Rihanna and Beyoncé's 2016 hits were mostly local, with the majority of Anti flopping outside the US.

Do you think any of the faves can recover? brit1 I think only Rihanna has the opportunity to smash again.

I think in the way we know them, yes. I think there will be more reigning “popular” stars that people love, but I would bet that the concept will be much different than what we know now. 

If you're talking about this forum, yes definitely. Most of the singers you mentioned are gonna end up like Olivia John Newton, Cher, Diana Ross, Barbara Streisand, Tina Turner and all the other divas from the 70s/80s or others will end up like Tiffany, Paula Adbul and Taylor Dayne. However, I feel like Gaga, Beyoncé, Rihanna, and Katy will be relevant in the next decade even though I'm feeling we're currently in a new Pop Music Generation, I mean KPop is also part of it. Take a look at Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Lizzo, Billie Eilish, Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, Normani, Charli XCX and more. moo9 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.