Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Entea

OCC reveals the UK's biggest songs & albums of 2019

biggest-songs-of-2019-billie-eilish-stormzy-lewis-capaldi.jpg?width=796&mode=stretch

The Official Top 40 Biggest Songs of 2019

The UK’s Top 40 biggest songs of 2019 have been unveiled, and Lewis Capaldi takes the Number 1 spot with Someone You Loved. The Scottish singer-songwriter’s big breakout track, which spent seven weeks at Number 1 across March/April, notched up a massive 2.33 million chart sales in 2019, according to Official Charts Company data. Someone You Loved is also the year’s most-streamed song, with 228 million audio streams across the likes of Spotify, Apple Music and Deezer.

The news comes as music trade body the BPI revealed that music consumption in the UK was up for fifth year in a row, with 114 billion music streams logged in 2019 – up 3,000% on 2012. Three more Lewis Capaldi songs finish inside the year-end Top 40: Top 5 hit Hold Me While You Wait at 14, Bruises at 25 and Grace at 27. View Lewis Capaldi's Official UK Chart history in full.

Another 2019 breakthrough star, US rapper and singer Lil Nas X, takes second place with Old Town Road on 1.75 million chart sales. The hip-hop-meets-country track, which first gained success as a viral hit on Tik Tok, spent two weeks at Number 1 across April/May. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber’s I Don’t Care – the lead single from Ed’s No.6 Collaborations Project album – finishes third on 1.43 million chart sales, Billie Eilish’s Bad Guy is fourth (1.34m), and Calvin Harris & Rag’n’Bone Man’s Giant – which spent five weeks at Number 2 in March – is fifth (1.29m).

Eight more Number 1 songs in 2019 feature in the UK’s Official Top 40 songs of the year, four of which place inside the Top 10. Ava Max’s January chart-topper Sweet But Psycho is at 6 (1.25m); Stormzy’s Vossi Bop finishes at 7 (1.14m); Tones & I’s 11-week chart-topper Dance Monkey – the longest-running Number 1 by a female artist ever – is at 8 (1.12m); and Senorita by Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello rounds the Top 10 out at 10 (1.07m).

Other big breakthroughs this year came for Mabel, who ranks ninth with Don’t Call Me Up, and production trio Meduza, who land at 11 with Piece Of Your Heart ft. Goodboys. AJ Tracey’s Ladbroke Grove (18), Dominic Fike’s 3 Nights (24), NSG’s Options ft. Tion Wayne (32), Russ & Tion Wayne’s Keisha & Becky (35), Regard’s Ride It (38) and Young T & Bugsey’s Strike A Pose (39) also rank inside the year-end Top 40.

Elsewhere, other acts with multiple entries in the Top 40 are Ariana Grande, with 7 Rings (16), Thank U Next (30) and Break Up With You’re Girlfriend I’m Bored (33); Ed Sheeran with I Don’t Care (3), Beautiful People ft. Khalid (21), and Take Me Back To London ft. Stormzy (23); while Billie Eilish gains a second Top 40 entry with Bury A Friend at 36.

See the full top 40 below:

Spoiler
POS TITLE ARTIST PEAK
1 SOMEONE YOU LOVED LEWIS CAPALDI 1
2 OLD TOWN ROAD LIL NAS X 1
3 I DON'T CARE ED SHEERAN & JUSTIN BIEBER 1
4 BAD GUY BILLIE EILISH 2
5 GIANT CALVIN HARRIS & RAG'N'BONE MAN 2
6 SWEET BUT PSYCHO AVA MAX 1
7 VOSSI BOP STORMZY 1
8 DANCE MONKEY TONES & I 1
9 DON'T CALL ME UP MABEL 3
10 SENORITA SHAWN MENDES/CAMILA CABELLO 1
11 PIECE OF YOUR HEART MEDUZA FT GOODBOYS 2
12 SHOTGUN GEORGE EZRA 1
13 LOCATION DAVE FT BURNA BOY 6
14 HOLD ME WHILE YOU WAIT LEWIS CAPALDI 4
15 SUNFLOWER POST MALONE FT SWAE LEE 3
16 7 RINGS ARIANA GRANDE 1
17 WOW. POST MALONE 3
18 LADBROKE GROVE AJ TRACEY 3
19 JUST YOU AND I TOM WALKER 3
20 SHALLOW LADY GAGA & BRADLEY COOPER 1
21 BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE ED SHEERAN FT KHALID 1
22 DANCING WITH A STRANGER SAM SMITH & NORMANI 3
23 TAKE ME BACK TO LONDON ED SHEERAN FT STORMZY 1
24 3 NIGHTS DOMINIC FIKE 3
25 BRUISES LEWIS CAPALDI 6
26 HIGHER LOVE KYGO & WHITNEY HOUSTON 2
27 GRACE LEWIS CAPALDI 9
28 NOTHING BREAKS LIKE A HEART MARK RONSON FT MILEY CYRUS 2
29 SUCKER JONAS BROTHERS 4
30 THANK U NEXT ARIANA GRANDE 1
31 HIGH HOPES PANIC AT THE DISCO 12
32 OPTIONS NSG FT TION WAYNE 7
33 BREAK UP WITH YOUR GIRLFRIEND I'M BORED ARIANA GRANDE 1
34 SOS AVICII FT ALOE BLACC 6
35 KEISHA & BECKY RUSS & TION WAYNE 7
36 BURY A FRIEND BILLIE EILISH 6
37 HAPPIER MARSHMELLO FT BASTILLE 2
38 RIDE IT REGARD 2
39 STRIKE A POSE YOUNG T & BUGSEY FT AITCH 9
40 WITHOUT ME HALSEY 3

x

The Official Top 40 biggest albums of 2019

The UK’s biggest albums of 2019 have been revealed, with Lewis Capaldi taking the Number 1 spot with his debut collection Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent. The Scottish singer-songwriter’s first record, released in May, sold 641,000 albums across all formats and album equivalents, including over 250,000 copies on CD and vinyl combined, according to Official Charts Company data.

The album debuted at Number 1 and spent a total of six weeks at the top of the Official Albums Chart. According to music trade body the BPI, the equivalent of 154 million albums were either streamed, purchased on physical formats or downloaded in 2019 – up by 7.5% in volume on the total recorded in 2018. This is the highest amount since 2006, when the figure stood at 161.4m albums.

The overall consumption of music in the UK has grown for a fifth consecutive year, boosted by the continued growth in streaming, which rose 26% year-on-year. While the number of CD and digital albums bought fell by just over a quarter, the formats continue to play an important role in shaping success on the Official Albums Chart. For 29 of the year’s 52 weeks, physical accounted for over half of chart-eligible sales for the Number 1 album.

Elsewhere on the year-end Official Albums Chart, Ed Sheeran finishes second place with his No.6 Collaborations Project album (568,000), a five-week leader in July/August, and The Greatest Showman album continued to perform well throughout 2019, placing third overall with 524,000 chart sales logged this year. Two more soundtracks, Bohemian Rhapsody (6) and A Star Is Born (10), also rank inside the year-end Top 10.

US singer-songwriter Billie Eilish also found huge success this year: her debut album, When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?, made her the youngest female artist to top the UK’s Official Albums Chart in March, and places fourth overall this year with 370,000 chart sales. Fellow US star Ariana Grande ranks seventh with her chart-topping fifth album Thank U, Next (293,000).

As well as Lewis and Billie, there was another big debut album in 2019 for Tom Walker; his Number 1 record What A Time To Be Alive places eighth on 270,000 chart sales. Despite being released in November, Rod Stewart’s orchestral album You’re In My Heart makes it into the year-end Top 10 at Number 10. A massive 99% of Rod’s sales were physical or download.

See the full top 40 below:

Spoiler

POS TITLE ARTIST PEAK
1 DIVINELY UNINSPIRED TO A HELLISH EXTENT LEWIS CAPALDI 1
2 NO 6 COLLABORATIONS PROJECT ED SHEERAN 1
3 THE GREATEST SHOWMAN MOTION PICTURE CAST RECORDING 1
4 WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP WHERE DO WE GO BILLIE EILISH 1
5 STAYING AT TAMARA'S GEORGE EZRA 1
6 BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY - OST QUEEN 3
7 THANK U NEXT ARIANA GRANDE 1
8 WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE TOM WALKER 1
9 A STAR IS BORN MOTION PICTURE CAST RECORDING 1