Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

SeekingThrill

SeekingThrill's 50 Favorite Albums of the 2010s

13. Haim - Days Are Gone (2013)

220px-Haim_-_Days_Are_Gone.png

A critically acclaimed album that deserved more love from public. Listening to the singles makes you think they were big hits, but only one single was a modest hit in some countries. It was a time of EDM, so anything different and better wasn't noticed by public. Ariel Rechtshaid did a great job on production - polished sound and the 80s feel made this pop rock album to stand out. Warm, upbeat and effortlessly cool.

Highlights: Falling, If I Could Change Your Mind, Forever.

12. Ryan Adams - 1989 (2015)

220px-RyanAdams1989cover.jpg

This album is is a track-by-track cover of Taylor Swift's 1989. Cool and interesting idea and a fantastic result. While Taylor's album is a modern pop inspired by the 80s, Ryan's version is a rock album that sounds like it was made in the 80s. A lot of brilliant reinventions, especially Shake It Off. A warm, simple, catchy and timeless album.

Highlights: Bad Blood, Wildest Dreams, Shake It Off.

11. Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man (2012)

220px-Bat_for_Lashes_-_The_Haunted_Man.p

There are a lot of brilliant female artists who are inspired by Kate Bush like Tori Amos and Florence Welch, but Bat For Lashes truly sounds like a modern Kate Bush and The Haunted Man is the best example of that. An art pop album with elements of dream pop and synthpop.

Highlights: A Wall, Lilies, All Your Gold.

10. Kate Bush - Director's Cut (2011)

220px-Katebushdirector'scut.png

Director's Cut is a collection of reinvented songs from The Sensual World and The Red Shoes. The lead vocals and some of the backing vocals have been re-recorded, while many songs retained the original instrumentation. Of course, new music elements were added to the original music. Some songs have been completely re-recorded (new vocals, new music). On Flower of the Mountain (a new version of The Sensual World song), Kate finally got permission to use text from Ulysses by James Joyce that she was refused to use in 1989, when she wrote lyrics based on that work.

Although many songs didn't really need a make over, it is interesting to see what Kate Bush did. It is unfair to describe this album as a remix album, because it is more than that. Even the songs with the smallest changes have a different feel. With this album, Kate Bush continues showing why she is a true music genius. Also, more than any other artist, she shows what can be done with a new technology in a recording studio.

Highlights: Never Be Mine, Deeper Understanding, Lily.

09. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die: The Paradise Edition (2012)

220px-BornToDieTheParadiseEditionCover.p

Lana's most accessible album. That doesn't mean it is any less qualitative than other works. The lyrics are interesting, melodies are catchy and well crafted, while music has vintage and cinematic feel.

Highlights: Gods & Monsters, Video Games, Blue Jeans.

08. Blossoms - Blossoms (2016)

220px-Blossoms_album.jpg

The self-titled debut album by English rock band Blossoms. The album is indie rock with pop and synthpop elements. Band's love for rock music of the past is obvious on many songs that sound like classic rock hits.

Highlights: Cut Me and I’ll Bleed, Getaway, Texia.

07. Bat for Lashes - Lost Girls (2019)

220px-Bat_for_Lashes_-_Lost_Girls.png

The album is inspired by the 80s - music and cinema, the artists such as Bananarama, Cyndi Lauper and The Blue Nile, and film composer John Williams. Some songs are typical 80s synthpop, while other songs are dreamy, nostalgic and melancholic, with subtle 80s synths.

Highlights: Feel For You, Desert Man, So Good.

06. Brandon Flowers - The Desired Effect (2015)

220px-Brandon_Flowers_-_The_Desired_Effe

A critically acclaimed album that deserved more success. The album is an 80s inspired work that mixes rock, pop and synthpop elements and features catchy melodies, nice lyrics and good production. It is simple, charming and joyful. Retro, modern, timeless. 

Highlights: Lonely Town, Can't Deny My Love, Untangled Love.

05. Florence and the Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful (2015)

220px-Florence_and_the_Machine_-_How_Big

A flawless album full of energy, passion and creativity. Kate Bush influence is there, mixed with rock sound, while Florence's voice is hypnotizing.

Highlights: What Kind Of Man, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful, Delilah.

03. Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow (2011)

220px-Kate_Bush_-_50_Words_for_Snow.png

Director's Cut served as a preview for 50 Words for Snow when it comes to production. This album is one of Kate's most conceptual and interesting works. Like the title suggests, the album is inspired by themes related to snow and winter. Production is flawless, music is moody and beautiful, while the lyrics are interesting. Kate sings about a snowman lover, divided lovers throughout history, ghost... Some lyrics sound like weird ideas on paper, but they really work. Kate Bush created a surreal and poetic world full of empathy. 

Highlights: Snowed in at Wheeler Street, Wild Man, 50 Words for Snow.

22 minutes ago, SeekingThrill said:

03. Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow (2011)

220px-Kate_Bush_-_50_Words_for_Snow.png

Director's Cut served as a preview for 50 Words for Snow when it comes to production. This album is one of Kate's most conceptual and interesting works. Like the title suggests, the album is inspired by themes related to snow and winter. Production is flawless, music is moody and beautiful, while the lyrics are interesting. Kate sings about a snowman lover, divided lovers throughout history, ghost... Some lyrics sound like weird ideas on paper, but they really work. Kate Bush created a surreal and poetic world full of empathy. 

Highlights: Snowed in at Wheeler Street, Wild Man, 50 Words for Snow.

That album is 50 Words for No juicy1

2 minutes ago, SeekingThrill said:

You don't like it? orly1 

No 200px-Patricia_Richardson_as_Jill_Taylor

I haven't liked any of her releases since King of the Mountain (single only)

Director's Cut was the worst thing she's ever done btw 200px-Patricia_Richardson_as_Jill_Taylor Even though Lionheart exists

On 2/14/2020 at 1:23 PM, SeekingThrill said:

05. Florence and the Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful (2015)

220px-Florence_and_the_Machine_-_How_Big

A flawless album full of energy, passion and creativity. Kate Bush influence is there, mixed with rock sound, while Florence's voice is hypnotizing.

Highlights: What Kind Of Man, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful, Delilah.

I know you didn't mention it, but I've really gotten into Third Eye lately bey6

I am the same, I'm the same, I'm tryna change bey6

On 2/14/2020 at 1:14 PM, SeekingThrill said:

06. Brandon Flowers - The Desired Effect (2015)

220px-Brandon_Flowers_-_The_Desired_Effe

A critically acclaimed album that deserved more success. The album is an 80s inspired work that mixes rock, pop and synthpop elements and features catchy melodies, nice lyrics and good production. It is simple, charming and joyful. Retro, modern, timeless. 

Highlights: Lonely Town, Can't Deny My Love, Untangled Love.

A lot better than his debut jj2 Lonely Town is THAt alex1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.