Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

SeekingThrill

Next James Bond may not be white — but he definitely won’t be a woman

The next James Bond may not be white — but definitely won’t be female.

“He can be of any color, but he is male,” franchise boss Barbara Broccoli recently told Variety, ruling out long-running rumors that a “Jane Bond” could replace Daniel Craig after his final star turn as 007.

Broccoli and her half-brother, Michael Wilson, made it clear they are not limiting themselves to just looking for a white British actor, as have portrayed the world’s most famous spy until now. That would keep the door open for Idris Elba, long favored as Craig’s replacement.

“You think of him as being from Britain or the Commonwealth, but Britain is a very diverse place,” Wilson told Variety during a sit-down last month.

Saying they are “custodians of this character” who “take that responsibility seriously,” Broccoli insisted she would love to see a strong, female spy — just not as James Bond.

“I believe we should be creating new characters for women — strong female characters,” she told the mag. “I’m not particularly interested in taking a male character and having a woman play it. I think women are far more interesting than that.”

Craig, who in 2015 said he would rather “slash my wrists” than return as the special agent, told the mag he came back “excited again” to film his final time as Bond thanks to “a nice long break.”

Broccoli said she is now “in total denial” that Craig will quit after the franchise’s upcoming 25th movie, “No Time to Die.”

“I’ve accepted what Daniel has said, but I’m still in denial. It’s too traumatic for me,” she told Variety.

“No Time to Die” director Cary Joji Fukunaga reckons replacing the 51-year-old star will be challenging, no matter how widely they search.

“We talked at length about who the next Bond could be … and concluded it may take years to find someone else as compelling,” Fukunaga told Variety.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/15/next-james-bond-may-not-be-white-but-he-definitely-wont-be-a-woman/

55 minutes ago, SeekingThrill said:

Why can't they just make new movies with new heroes? jj3 

Do they really need to change the identity of existing famous characters?

I think they should totally hang it up flatscreen, and same goes for Disney with MCU, SW, and the live action remake series; Most channels with TV shows surpassing 10 seasons as well; But ig this is a different discussion to have juicy1

The push for diversity in the film industry isn't really serving NEW stories made for minorities eve1

I can't wait for a Harry Potter remake with a non-binary, queer, Indian paraplegic in the lead role.

1 hour ago, SeekingThrill said:

Why can't they just make new movies with new heroes? jj3 

Do they really need to change the identity of existing famous characters?

Hunei there's no dIvErSItY. Everything needs some diversity nowadays otherwise is racist. lol3 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.