Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

ajp

Ariana Grande Being Sued For “7 Rings”

ariana-7-rings.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1

Ariana Grande was sued on Thursday by a hip-hop artist who claims she ripped off the chorus of his song for her hit “7 Rings.”

Josh Stone, who performs as DOT, wrote and recorded “You Need I Got It” in 2017. He alleges that he took the song to music industry executives, including producer Tommy Brown, who has worked extensively with Grande.

The suit accuses Brown of lifting key elements of Stone’s song for Grande’s “7 Rings.” Grande’s song includes the repeating line: “I Want It, I Got It. I Want It, I Got It.” While Stone’s song has the refrain: “You Need It, I Got It. You Want It, I Got It.”

The suit, filed in New York federal court by attorney Tamir Young, alleges that two forensic musicologists have analyzed the choruses of each song and found the rhythm and notes to be substantially similar as well.

“Literally, every single one of the 39 respective notes of ‘7 Rings’ is identical with the 39 notes of ‘I Got It’ from a metrical placement perspective,” the suit alleges. “Said another way, the rhythm and placement of the notes and lyrics are identical.”

According to the suit, “7 Rings” has already netted more than $10 million in revenue. Grande is set to perform at the Grammy Awards next week, and is up for five awards, including two for “7 Rings.”

The suit names Universal Music Corp. along with many other defendants.

Grande’s label did not immediately respond to Variety‘s request for comment.

Source

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

And they'll likely win with the outcomes of Blurred Lines and Dark Horse. Lovely!

Sis that song deserved all the crap it got nicki5

At least Lana won lana2

1 minute ago, Sleep Deprived said:

Sis that song deserved all the crap it got nicki5

At least Lana won lana2

Nnn I agree, but I still think the case itself was a steaming pile of trash! The FAMILY felt "hurt" by the "copying" of something they never wrote. It was pure psychopathy imo lana2 

1 minute ago, Jake said:

Nnn I agree, but I still think the case itself was a steaming pile of trash! The FAMILY felt "hurt" by the "copying" of something they never wrote. It was pure psychopathy imo lana2 

I mean, we all felt hurt by that song/video nicki5 Wait let me claim compensation juicy1

I don't see this going ahead unless he has proof that he met with the producer and played him his song. If he does, then there's a slight possibility he might win. 

Wonder what would happen given that 90% of the royalties go to TSOM creators. Would he get a cut of those too, or just of the remaining 10%? 

4 hours ago, RihannaRTT said:

I don't see this going ahead unless he has proof that he met with the producer and played him his song. If he does, then there's a slight possibility he might win. 

Wonder what would happen given that 90% of the royalties go to TSOM creators. Would he get a cut of those too, or just of the remaining 10%? 

Surely he'd only get a cut of the 10%, as the rest of his... "song"... is completely different.

Seeing as Billboard counts Youtube views, it's actually great promo for him even if he loses ny1

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.