Ariana

The Coronavirus Thread

Assuming that the infection/death rate around the world is relatively static, one can simply do the math.

Unlike the pseudo-pandemics out of Africa, this is China, which has traffic to every corner of the world. 

It is conceivable that this spreadS around to enough people that it kills hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions.

The Chinese are going to kill us all.

7 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

Assuming that the infection/death rate around the world is relatively static, one can simply do the math.

Unlike the pseudo-pandemics out of Africa, this is China, which has traffic to every corner of the world. 

It is conceivable that this spreadS around to enough people that it kills hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions.

It's certainly frightening to think about but WHO doesn't think it will be a global emergency.

6 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

Unlike most countries in Africa, China has a VERY effective response system though .. they literally put a city of 10 million under quarantine, many of the major transport hubs are on lockdown and the entire country is on high alert .. they really are doing the most they can, and I guess they are catching in early enough ..  

1 hour ago, fab said:

Unlike most countries in Africa, China has a VERY effective response system though .. they literally put a city of 10 million under quarantine, many of the major transport hubs are on lockdown and the entire country is on high alert .. they really are doing the most they can, and I guess they are catching in early enough ..  

I know that it may or may not happen, but all it takes is for one or two infected people to get past quarantine zones, get into another high populated area and have the damned thing start spreading again. I understand perfectly well the upsIde of authoritarianism for things like this, but there's a lot of people in that country and more than enough room for error.

And that's not even taking into account the cases out of China, where it's getting into populations of people that have civil liberties.

Honestly, this whole thing feels like Swine flu did, but it's interesting to see the response from them. And I also understand not giving into alarmism, but given the probabilites, I'll just quote the Director of the WHO "Make no mistake. This is an emergency in China, it has not yet become a global health emergency, but it may yet become one."

9 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

I know that it may or may not happen, but all it takes is for one or two infected people to get past quarantine zones, get into another high populated area and have the damned thing start spreading again. I understand perfectly well the upsIde of authoritarianism for things like this, but there's a lot of people in that country and more than enough room for error.

And that's not even taking into account the cases out of China, where it's getting into populations of people that have civil liberties.

Honestly, this whole thing feels like Swine flu did, but it's interesting to see the response from them. And I also understand not giving into alarmism, but given the probabilites, I'll just quote the Director of the WHO "Make no mistake. This is an emergency in China, it has not yet become a global health emergency, but it may yet become one."

Tbh I think you might be right ... I know social media likes to exaggerate these kind of things, but I'm definitely getting the impression that this outbreak is FAR worse than what the official numbers are suggesting. There are videos of people collapsing on the streets, chaos in hospitals, etc... this seems very serious 

1 hour ago, fab said:

Tbh I think you might be right ... I know social media likes to exaggerate these kind of things, but I'm definitely getting the impression that this outbreak is FAR worse than what the official numbers are suggesting. There are videos of people collapsing on the streets, chaos in hospitals, etc... this seems very serious 

I was going to say, a lot of scary shit is came out of China this morning. Videos of dead bodies in Wuhan hall hospitals. People fainting in the street. 350,000 potential infections in Wuhan alone. 50 million people under quarantine, tens of thousands slipping past quarantine. John Hopkins revealing a model with 65 million deaths. 

All hell seems to be breaking loose. 

5 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

I was going to say, a lot of scary shit is came out of China this morning. Videos of dead bodies in Wuhan hall hospitals. People fainting in the street. 350,000 potential infections in Wuhan alone. 50 million people under quarantine, tens of thousands slipping past quarantine. John Hopkins revealing a model with 65 million deaths. 

All hell seems to be breaking loose. 

Sis I just read about that, and it has nothing to do with this Wuhan virus wat2  lets not become hysterical wat2 

26 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

Actually the study was predicated on a Coronavirus outbreak aka: the Wuhan virus, so yes — it’s very relevant. 

The parameters used in that model were "influenza-like transmissibility" and "SARS-like lethality", and from what I've read at least the lethality of this Wuhan strain seems to be much lower, so we can already throw that model out.  ny14 

21 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

You Need To Calm Down.mp3 nicki5

Remember SARS? Bird flu? Swine flu? Foot and mouth?

The last big pandemic worth worrying about was Spanish Influenza and that was over a hundred years ago.

Let's not nicki5

1 hour ago, Sleep Deprived said:

You Need To Calm Down.mp3 nicki5

Remember SARS? Bird flu? Swine flu? Foot and mouth?

The last big pandemic worth worrying about was Spanish Influenza and that was over a hundred years ago.

Let's not nicki5

First of all, I wasn’t being serious, perhaps that translates poorly

over text, but no, I don’t need to calm down from shit. jj4

Second: Ultimately no pandemic or even potential pandemic is worth worrying about, no singular amount of stress or worry from the individual will somehow stop it. 

But it is at least worth having the discussion. The reason I’m thinking deeply about it is because the freshmen kids that I tutor for the Social Science Department are apparently being told to chew on it by the poly sci instructors. Some of the shit that they’re coming up with is alarmist, yes — but it’s not out of the realm of possibility.