Ariana

The Coronavirus Thread

On 1/25/2020 at 3:18 AM, Sleep Deprived said:

You Need To Calm Down.mp3 nicki5

Remember SARS? Bird flu? Swine flu? Foot and mouth?

The last big pandemic worth worrying about was Spanish Influenza and that was over a hundred years ago.

Let's not nicki5

We gon d*e without having the chance to meet. nicki5brit3brit2

18 hours ago, Margerine Flange said:

We gon d*e without having the chance to meet. nicki5brit3brit2

moo9 Let me live out my Fantasy.mp3 of watching the world end while I choke on a gyro in a down-at-heel Taverna

3 hours ago, Sleep Deprived said:

moo9 Let me live out my Fantasy.mp3 of watching the world end while I choke on a gyro in a down-at-heel Taverna

Maybe they should start eating gyros in China too instead of bats and cats. moo9

20 hours ago, Margerine Flange said:

Maybe they should start eating gyros in China too instead of bats and cats. moo9

The coronavirus hasn’t been confirmed to be caused bats.... and certainly diseases such as swine flu or mad cow disease came from eating pigs / cows so unless you’re vegetarian and don’t eat meat you shouldn’t be judging other culture’s food choices brit4 

and that viral video of the woman eating a bat isn’t even in China... Bat is not a delicacy in Wuhan, that video is from Palau.... brit4 

Read up and don’t make racially insensitive jokes brit4 

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/27/dont-blame-bat-soup-for-the-wuhan-virus/

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

The coronavirus hasn’t been confirmed to be caused bats.... and certainly diseases such as swine flu or mad cow disease came from eating pigs / cows so unless you’re vegetarian and don’t eat meat you shouldn’t be judging other culture’s food choices brit4 

and that viral video of the woman eating a bat isn’t even in China... Bat is not a delicacy in Wuhan, that video is from Palau.... brit4 

I haven't see any video of a woman eating bat, i just read an article saying that could be from bats, cats or idk. As ebola was. moo9 It was a joke. moo9

12 minutes ago, Margerine Flange said:

I haven't see any video of a woman eating bat, i just read an article saying that could be from bats, cats or idk. As ebola was. moo9 It was a joke. moo9

Racist jokes are racist brit4 

20 hours ago, Margerine Flange said:

How it's racist a joke about a virus? Please. ajay1

Perpetuating the idea that all Chinese people eat bats and cats and crazy whatnot is a LONG standing racist stereotype that has a LONG history in western culture to vilify and demonize Chinese people and Asians in general, especially in the US. Like I said, read up on the history of Chinese / Asian immigrants in the US and other western countries and learn before spouting ignorant and, yes, racist “jokes” brit4 

“No doubt because of the framing of these reports on wet markets, where people buy animals outside the pork-chicken-cow trifecta deemed "normal" by most Americans, many Westerners are blaming the Chinese—and specifically, their eating habits—for the coronavirus surge. 

In doing so, they're relying on old racist tropes and fueling fears about the ways Asian people eat. As James Palmer wrote in Foreign Policy, the American media has long portrayed Chinese people as "dirty" carriers of disease, citing an 1854 New York Daily Tribune article that claimedChinese people were "uncivilized, unclean, filthy beyond all conception." Those ideas haven't gone away.”

Some education for you:

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/4ag37q/coronavirus-fears-are-reviving-racist-ideas-about-chinese-food

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/world/asia/coronavirus-chinese-racism.amp.html

https://nypost.com/2020/01/30/anti-china-sentiments-racism-spreading-along-with-coronavirus/amp/

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/54165A30-42AA-11EA-A5F1-DB44B8198A98

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

Perpetuating the idea that all Chinese people eat bats and cats and crazy whatnot is a LONG standing racist stereotype that has a LONG history in western culture to vilify and demonize Chinese people and Asians in general, especially in the US. Like I said, read up on the history of Chinese / Asian immigrants in the US and other western countries and learn before spouting ignorant and, yes, racist “jokes” brit4 

Look, i've read that the virus started cause of someone who ate bats or something like that, and that's why i made this joke. If the virus started from another country i would've probably say a similar joke, i don't have any problem with Chinese people and i never said they're dirty. You don't have to take seriously EVERYTHING in this life and overanalyze it. The post that i replied to wasn't a serious one also.

jj2

33 minutes ago, Margerine Flange said:

Look, i've read that the virus started cause of someone who ate bats or something like that, and that's why i made this joke. If the virus started from another country i would've probably say a similar joke, i don't have any problem with Chinese people and i never said they're dirty. You don't have to take seriously EVERYTHING in this life and overanalyze it. The post that i replied to wasn't a serious one also.

jj2

I don’t take everything seriously, but somethings are definitely not acceptable. You don’t have to have personally said anything about Chinese people being dirty to have made a tasteless joke that plays directly into that historically racist thought. Context matters, and in the context of a major pandemic starting in China bringing up numerous racist and zenophobic comments and jokes across the world about Chinese people, their culture and their food, your “joke” really isn’t funny and deserves to be called out.

I really recommend you read the articles posted in the links to maybe understand why this really rubs me the wrong way and why I am taking this more seriously than you’d like to think it is.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:40 AM, Vesper said:

I don’t take everything seriously, but somethings are definitely not acceptable. You don’t have to have personally said anything about Chinese people being dirty to have made a tasteless joke that plays directly into that historically racist thought. Context matters, and in the context of a major pandemic starting in China bringing up numerous racist and zenophobic comments and jokes across the world about Chinese people, their culture and their food, your “joke” really isn’t funny and deserves to be called out.

I really recommend you read the articles posted in the links to maybe understand why this really rubs me the wrong way and why I am taking this more seriously than you’d like to think it is.

Tbh what's much scarier to me than the virus itself is the outbreak of anti-Chinese racism that has come with it jj3 

I can confirm that news that the first death outside of China is here in the Philippines. Right now, in our Country, almost everyone, students and school employees like me are wearing surgical masks just to be safe. 

There are about thirty people (from what I learned in the news) being suspected with the virus. The forty four year old man who sadly died was with his partner, a thirty eight year old woman who is also infected by the virus but she remains asymptomatic which means that even if you don't feel sick, the chances that you are get infected is still very high.

What's alarming is that the couple visited two provinces in the Philippines before coming to a hospital in Metro Manila, the country's capital so the government is still tracing people they came in contact with which is probably one of the most difficult thing to do, especially with the festivities in those two provinces. 

On 2/1/2020 at 2:29 PM, fab said:

Tbh what's much scarier to me than the virus itself is the outbreak of anti-Chinese racism that has come with it jj3 

it's always been there.

times like these i'm so glad my country is fairly disconnected from everything else, and also super far away. aura1

On 1/29/2020 at 10:18 PM, Vesper said:

Lots of Asian countries eat cats and dogs though (and probably bats?)... how is it racist?

I’ve literally been to places where there are wild dogs on spit roasts. 

You need to calm down.mp3

7 hours ago, calethewhalee said:

Lots of Asian countries eat cats and dogs though (and probably bats?)... how is it racist?

I’ve literally been to places where there are wild dogs on spit roasts. 

You need to calm down.mp3

It’s racist because it’s untrue of the Wuhan region (they don’t eat bats nor cats / dogs), but you’re generalizing this fact about all of China because certain regions do. That’s racist, to make general sweeping statements about a diverse continent such as Asia and claim negative stereotypes of their “bat consumption” as the reason why we have the current virus. 

You need to get an education.mp3