Ariana

The Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Sleep Deprived said:

Because some of us are old enough to remember the last few "pandemics" that were supposed to wipe us all out nicki5

Imagine if more people start dying cause of alcohol poisoning now. nicki5 

28 minutes ago, Margerine Flange said:

Imagine if more people start dying cause of alcohol poisoning now. nicki5 

I'd sooner that than die from something that just made me sneeze a bit nicki5

So like.. there's a possibility the virus can infect dogs now dead2

A dog in Hong Kong tests positive for the coronavirus, WHO officials confirm

"A dog in Hong Kong has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus that’s killed at least 2,859 humans across the world over the last two months, World Health Organization officials said Friday.

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, the technical lead of WHO’s emergencies program, said the canine tested “weakly positive,” meaning low levels of the virus were found.

Hong Kong scientists aren’t sure if the dog is actually infected or if it picked up the virus from a contaminated surface, she said.

“We’re working with them to understand the results, to understand what further testing they are doing and to understand how they are going to care for these animals,” Kerkhove said during a press conference at WHO’s headquarters in Geneva.

The dog reportedly belongs to a 60-year-old woman who developed symptoms on Feb. 12 and later tested positive, according to The Wall Street Journal."

On 1/30/2020 at 9:05 PM, Vesper said:

Perpetuating the idea that all Chinese people eat bats and cats and crazy whatnot is a LONG standing racist stereotype that has a LONG history in western culture to vilify and demonize Chinese people and Asians in general, especially in the US. Like I said, read up on the history of Chinese / Asian immigrants in the US and other western countries and learn before spouting ignorant and, yes, racist “jokes” brit4 

“No doubt because of the framing of these reports on wet markets, where people buy animals outside the pork-chicken-cow trifecta deemed "normal" by most Americans, many Westerners are blaming the Chinese—and specifically, their eating habits—for the coronavirus surge. 

In doing so, they're relying on old racist tropes and fueling fears about the ways Asian people eat. As James Palmer wrote in Foreign Policy, the American media has long portrayed Chinese people as "dirty" carriers of disease, citing an 1854 New York Daily Tribune article that claimedChinese people were "uncivilized, unclean, filthy beyond all conception." Those ideas haven't gone away.”

True, there are a lot of misconceptions. 

However, eating dogs and cats is wrong in China or any other Asian country. lj1 

1st cases in Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Jordan, Portugal, Andorra, Latvia, Senegal
1st cases in NYC, Berlin, Moscow, New Delhi, Rome, Florida

It finally happened
I'm (L)over

73uMFFI.gif

This thing is probably going to affect most of us at some point (USA), especially with the orange turd we have in the white house. I've been taking extra precautions (washing my hands a lot, not touching my face, etc), but without the governments cooperation, this shit will just continue to spread.  A lot of people don't have health care and/or paid sick leave. The government needs to make some changes FAST if they really want to contain the virus. People will go to work sick because most are living paycheck to paycheck and they cannot afford to just stop working.  

Im not really scared for myself but I am scared for older people. If you have older people in your life (like your grandparents), please tell them to be extra careful. They are the most vulnerable.