Sign in to follow this  

Taylor discusses overcoming struggle with eating disorder

Daenerys 67,128

After being pictured facing a phalanx of photographers after she emerges from her front door, Swift is heard in voiceover saying that “it’s not good for me to see pictures of myself every day.” Although she says “it’s only happened a few times, and I’m not in any way proud of it,” Swift admits there have been times in the past when she’s seen “a picture of me where I feel like I looked like my tummy was too big, or… someone said that I looked pregnant … and that’ll just trigger me to just starve a little bit — just stop eating.”

In the film, then-and-now photos illustrate just how thin Swift had gotten during the “1989” era, versus the still svelte but healthier look she sported by the time she toured behind the “Reputation” album in 2018. Swift says that her under-eating in that earlier time severely affected her stamina on tour.

“I thought that I was supposed to feel like I was going to pass out at the end of a show, or in the middle of it,” she attests in the documentary. “Now I realize, no, if you eat food, have energy, get stronger, you can do all these shows and not feel (enervated).” Swift says she doesn’t care so much now if someone comments on a weight gain, and she’s reconciled “the fact that I’m a size 6 instead of a size double-zero.” Swift says she was completely unaware that anything was wrong in her double-zero era, and had a defense at the ready should it come up. If anyone expressed concern, she’d say, “‘What are you talking about? Of course I eat. …. I exercise a lot.’ And I did exercise a lot. But I wasn’t eating.”

Gilly 9,371

i didnt realize how skinny she was until she gained some weight. She looks much better with some meat on her bones

fab 14,508

i'm not surprised tbh, her appearance has been under immense scrutiny  .. must be awful cry9  

Venus XCX 10,283

She was so unhealthily skinny during the 1989 era and it was disappointing as so many young girls looked up to her and probably wanted that body. She looks so much better now clap3 

TMCSC 5,813

I am shocked! She was skinny but I never thought she had eating disorder.

Cl!t 551

Eating disorders consume your life. I’ve been dealing with weight issues my whole life thanks to this so I’m glad Taylor is speaking on the subject.