Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Dennis Reynolds

Mean Girls: The Musical to be adapted as a film

It looks like Gretchen Wieners is out to make fetch happen all over again because Mean Girls: The Musical is being turned into a movie. According to Entertainment Weekly, the news comes as the producers of Broadway's Mean Girls finalize the decision to schedule its final showing in London's West End in late Spring of 2021.

Just like the original film, the upcoming Mean Girls adaptation — to be made under Paramount Pictures — will be produced by Tina Fey and Lorne Michaels. Fey, who wrote the book for the Broadway show, will also write the script for the film, which will feature music by Jeff Richmond and lyrics by Nell Benjamin.

"I'm very excited to bring Mean Girls back to the big screen," Fey said of the film, which recently celebrated its 15th anniversary. "It's been incredibly gratifying to see how much the movie and the musical have meant to audiences. I've spent 16 years with these characters now. They are my Marvel Universe, and I love them dearly."

This is a modal window.

No compatible source was found for this media.

The musical largely follows the same plotline as the 2004 film of the same name, but there's no telling how closely the second movie adaptation will stick to the original script. As much as we all love Cady Heron's wild journey from the African Sahara to the suburbs of Illinois and the way she scrapes her way to the top of Northshore High's social hierarchy, we're excited to see what totally grool changes Fey makes to the script (hopefully even more hilarious pranks à la foot cream to the face).

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/mean-girls-musical-movie-details-47139581

8 minutes ago, Alex_1006 said:

So a musical based on a movie... is being made back into a movie? brit14

Yes, much like My Fair Lady, Little Shop of Horrors, The Producers, Hairspray, Chicago, Reefer Madness and The Phantom of the Opera...

13 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Yes, much like My Fair Lady, Little Shop of Horrors, The Producers, Hairspray, Chicago, Reefer Madness and The Phantom of the Opera...

Oh maybe I need to watch more musicals then juicy1

1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Phantom is based on a book. I don't think there was a film before the musical. The musical was adapted from the novel.

28 minutes ago, harry said:

Phantom is based on a book. I don't think there was a film before the musical. The musical was adapted from the novel.

Mean Girls is also based on a book called Queen Bees and Wannabes, and there were many Phantom of the Opera movies before the musical.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.