Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Divine

Kesha found guilty of defamation; ordered to pay $373k for late royalties

33 minutes ago, Living Dead Boy said:

I'm fucking disgusted by this.

How is a private text conversation justified means of defamation?

Especially when the texts only became public because of the lawsuit.

sure but they are superstars - one can argue that kesha telling popstars and industry peers like gaga that he raped katy perry (which KATY said was a LIE) hurt his business even more through word of mouth, etc.  

either way, kesha was wrong for what she did (texting gaga that katy was raped - which again, katy denied). She should of just sat there, ate her food, and fought HER CASE instead of bringing in other people who didn't ask to be brought in (especially with a subject as delicate as rape). 

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

sure but they are superstars - one can argue that kesha telling popstars and industry peers like gaga that he raped katy perry (which KATY said was a LIE) hurt his business even more through word of mouth, etc.  

either way, kesha was wrong for what she did (texting gaga that katy was raped - which again, katy denied). She should of just sat there, ate her food, and fought HER CASE instead of bringing in other people who didn't ask to be brought in (especially with a subject as delicate as rape). 

Apparently they had both heard that from a music industry exec. and that wasn't new news to Gaga either... (from what I've read)

I don't even know what to say. They should've just left Katy out of it to begin with.

On the other hand; you could also say that Katy just denied it to avoid having to talk about it and she just wasn't ready to tell anybody. It COULD explain her erratic behavior post-Prism through the Witness era. But again, that's complete speculation and assumption.

I believe Kesha was a victim of it, however, over time I began suspecting that Kesha and Pebe were pulling out all possible stops to get Kesha out of her contract and took the "Luke raped Katy" rumor and ran with it hoping Katy would open up about it if it were brought up.

19 hours ago, G.T.D.A.B. said:

Kesha never lied, she said what she heard from a insider.

But, that's hearsay, and hearsay is merely a rumour. That is likely what hurt her in this case. And I state this as someone who hasn't followed a damn minute of the trial.

On 2/9/2020 at 1:36 PM, G.T.D.A.B. said:

The money is going to Dr.Luke. trash1  Kesha never lied, she said what she heard from a insider.

8 hours ago, Ruthless Love said:

But, that's hearsay, and hearsay is merely a rumour. That is likely what hurt her in this case. And I state this as someone who hasn't followed a damn minute of the trial.

Exactly. Hearsay NEVER holds up in court so it was stupid of her to even bring it up. ari9 

On 2/7/2020 at 4:32 AM, Gilly said:

Well, Dr. Luke brought Katy into this and not Kesha which you would know if you were familiar with this case. But apparently you aren't.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:04 AM, Living Dead Boy said:

I'm fucking disgusted by this.

How is a private text conversation justified means of defamation?

Especially when the texts only became public because of the lawsuit.

Read this article: https://www.thelily.com/a-judge-says-kesha-defamed-her-former-producer-by-claiming-rape-legal-experts-say-the-law-needs-updating/

On 2/8/2020 at 5:22 PM, TCCM said:

Could this hurt Kesha's case? @Divine

Kesha's case is over. We're talking about Dr. Luke vs. Kesha here and for that one, this is really bad. She has to pay 373k for unpaid interest rates and damages for the text messages that have yet to be determined at trial. A jury will decide the remaining claims though (whether Kesha has been raped or not, etc.).

On 2/10/2020 at 6:19 PM, Ruthless Love said:

On 2/11/2020 at 12:28 AM, trashbanjo said:

Exactly. Hearsay NEVER holds up in court so it was stupid of her to even bring it up. ari9 

No, you two don't understand...these were PRIVATE text messages that only became known as part of the discovery process in court. Dr. Luke only became aware of them DURING the lawsuit and then included them later in his complaint after he realized that they existed. When Kesha wrote these messages, shortly after her injunction was denied, she was unaware that they would become public as part of the discovery process in court, let alone that she could be sued for defamation in a private document.

Legal scholars are already talking about the dangerous precedent that this verdict will have for EVERYONE, not just Kesha, and the outdated law that is the basis for this decision.

What or who tipped him off about the text messages though? It seems strange that he just magically became aware of them out of thin air unless somebody like Kesha or Pebe threatened to bring Katy into it due to the rumors. The text messages were between Gaga and Kesha... meaning the only two people who could leak that info would be Kesha... Gaga... or Pebe. Again, that kind of falls on them in that regard.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.