Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Dennis Reynolds

Knives Out sequel in development, potential franchise to centre around Daniel Craig's character

Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer said Thursday during the company’s third-quarter earnings call that a sequel to Knives Out is officially a go, hinting that a production start for a follow-up to the money-making and critically acclaimed Rian Johnson whodunit is imminent.

The news comes as the film starring Daniel Craig, which earned Johnson his first Oscar nomination for his Original Screenplay, is nearing the $300 million mark at the worldwide box office. It was one of three films to come out during Lionsgate’s fiscal Q3 along with Midway and Bombshell. As a result, film revenue rose 30% in the quarter, the company said.

Johnson has been openly hinting he was keen to do a sequel to Knives Out, his contemporary spin on an Agatha Christie-esque murder mystery with Craig’s private investigator Benoit Blanc at the center of the tale. Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis and Michael Shannon led the strong ensemble cast.

The pic was a critical hit from its late November release, and was nominated for three Golden Globes including Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy. Johnson also racked up nominations for Best Original Screenplay at the BAFTAs, the Critics’ Choice Awards and the WGA Awards.

“I had such a good time making it, such a great time working with Daniel, and now just seeing that audiences are responding to it, the idea of continuing it on seems like it would just be a blast,” the director told Deadline on Oscar nomination day. “But there’s a lot that has to happen before that can happen, first and foremost being writing a script. So, we’ll see.”

Feltheimer said on today’s earnings call that John Wick 4 is also gearing up for production as the CEO touted the company’s ability to craft franchises from its IP.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/knives-out-sequel-official-rian-johnson-1202853566/

2 minutes ago, SHANE said:

Love the cast so much but the story felt very dry. Hoping the sequel takes more risks 

Oh really? I found it pretty engaging/clever myself, and the humor was on point (I still think about that one line and chuckle to myself often, it was something like "He overheard them while he was masturbating to pictures of dead deer" rip2). For whatever it's worth I imagine Craig will probably be the only returning cast member.

4 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Oh really? I found it pretty engaging/clever myself, and the humor was on point (I still think about that one line and chuckle to myself often, it was something like "He overheard them while he was masturbating to pictures of dead deer" rip2). For whatever it's worth I imagine Craig will probably be the only returning cast member.

I was super interested and I did appreciate the humor, I just felt it started off one way and shifted tone halfway through. 

Spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

Spoiler

I thought having the "killer" be the one person that wasn't present at the time of the incident was a really dull way to end things. I would've preferred a wild ending but overall it was a cute film. I think I was more let down since so many friends raved about how crazy it was. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.