Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

poSLAYtions

The Disco Revival?

We've been witnessing a somewhat disco revival period of pop music going into 2020, famously lead by Dua Lipa and her career is shaping up to be much bigger than it was before. What do you think of this genre revival? Or is there any revival at all? Is it just a one artist thing? If you have any recommendations of artists who are doing disco music right now but not really mainstream, would you like to put their music here? bey5

42 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Hopefully more disco than what she's doing 

The direction that Dua is taking right now is mixed with post-disco/dance sound, something that Madonna or Kylie Minogue had done since a long time ago. I'm here for it though because her songs are really good. However, I feel like there wouldn't be any 'more disco' songs in mainstream/popular music of 2020 because disco could sound very dated if it's not done properly.

2 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

It was about time gaga3 I wish more singers would go through that route to be honest rip3 

Well, not every recording artists could pull off disco. I think the European singers have been far more friendly with disco/dance in their popular music (like Dua herself, sometimes I forget that she's not American). It's quite appalling, tbh, since disco once defined American music for quite a long time.

1 minute ago, Tama said:

Well, not every recording artists could pull off disco. I think the European singers have been far more friendly with disco/dance in their popular music (like Dua herself, sometimes I forget that she's not American). It's quite appalling, tbh, since disco once defined American music for quite a long time.

Well, I beg to differ. Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Beyoncé, Carly Rae Jepsen (I know she's Canadian) and so many others I can't remember worked with this style perfectly. I mean, the US had the 90s R&B revival so I think Disco could have a revival somehow. However, the main problem is that nowadays an Artist has more artistic freedom rather than chasing trends since the trends are really dead. It looks like Music Eras don't exist anymore ari9

39 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

Well, I beg to differ. Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Beyoncé, Carly Rae Jepsen (I know she's Canadian) and so many others I can't remember worked with this style perfectly. I mean, the US had the 90s R&B revival so I think Disco could have a revival somehow. However, the main problem is that nowadays an Artist has more artistic freedom rather than chasing trends since the trends are really dead. It looks like Music Eras don't exist anymore ari9

I guess that's the double-edged sword of today's music scene, artistic freedom. But if the compositions are good, I would still appreciate them. bey3

Trends were also some kind of 'artistic freedom' when each of them first started, which then became mainstream and record companies made their artists do those styles/genres. I think record companies still do that to some degree. I think we will see some more of Billie Eilish-esque music from up and coming artists from all corners of the world. Whether they would break mainstream market or not, though, is a matter of fate. As of the 'disco revival', we'll see what happen. moo6

1 hour ago, Tama said:

I guess that's the double-edged sword of today's music scene, artistic freedom. But if the compositions are good, I would still appreciate them. bey3

Trends were also some kind of 'artistic freedom' when each of them first started, which then became mainstream and record companies made their artists do those styles/genres. I think record companies still do that to some degree. I think we will see some more of Billie Eilish-esque music from up and coming artists from all corners of the world. Whether they would break mainstream market or not, though, is a matter of fate. As of the 'disco revival', we'll see what happen. moo6

I'm totally up for it since I love Billie Eilish but I would really like to see what happens with the disco revival rav2 

16 minutes ago, Sleep Deprived said:

I'm ready for the 70s to come back in general. Weyes Blood come thru yas2

I also need more songs like this:

Download video

I miss melodies and rhythm

That's a really lovely song! laugh1

Oh I really like Weyes Blood, such a superb musician!

The good portion of 70s though, because I believe there were also funny stuff in that decade that don't need to come back in current year.

11 minutes ago, Tama said:

That's a really lovely song! laugh1

Oh I really like Weyes Blood, such a superb musician!

The good portion of 70s though, because I believe there were also funny stuff in that decade that don't need to come back in current year.

Of course. We don't need a revival of Slade, Mudd, Wizzard, The Wombles, Showaddywaddy etc. orangu1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.