Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Freaky Prince

MEGARATE | Future Nostalgia

1 hour ago, Freaky Prince said:

EqaqsrJ.jpg

Highest scores: jae, Luca, SHANE, RacoonReputation, Honey, Phoebe, Merryem, Hyun, Freaky Prince (10)

Lowest scores: Robi (1)

Comments:

"a dead-tie with physical for my 11 but physical's superior video barely gave it the edge! the baseline that gives puth's attention a run for its money, the explosive chorus, the lyricism...better lyricist than lana, better vocals than mariah, better production than taylor yes this song instantly cemented dua as pop royalty for the rest of history!" - Merryem

"Meghan Trainor and/or Charlie Puke teas i.e. an extremely competent pop song." - Modern Woman

"An absolute dance classic. I fall in love more and more with each listen." - SHANE

"another perfect single" - jae

how is this at #6 lit rally no words

1 hour ago, Freaky Prince said:

Hide contents

rb2Mmvt.jpg

Highest scores: Modern Woman (11)

Lowest scores: Madonna (2)

Comments: 

"I think choosing this a the lead was an ok choice" - Chris Morlock

"probably the definition of a grower" - Merryem

"Anyone giving this song less than a 10 is homophobic." - Snow

"Think I might just be a bit sick of how overplayed it is, but it truly is a classic pop track." - SHANE

Hide contents

rLP2Ssm.jpg

Highest scores: Robi, Freaky Prince, Chris Morlock, Merryem, Ruthless Love, Dennis, Infrared, Entea, fab, jae (11)

Lowest scores: Hunty Bear (6)

Comments: 

"song of the year" - jae

"Everything about it is perfect. Retro and fresh at the same time, she did what she had to do." - SHANE

"It's litchrally overrated, sorry!" - Hunty Bear

"I stan the production so much. But the lyrics are weak af." - Modern Woman

"oh wow, oh wow. this is what we call a career-defining magnum opus, her bad romance, her into you, her like a prayer, yes but better than those three songs combined! this song will go down in pop music scripture as the designated holy hymn, like the Kaaba, every pop music fan will have to venture on the holy Mecca of listening to this song one hundred times before becoming indoctrinated into pop culture 😌" - Merryem

"such a huge bop. It could've been stronger as the lead but it's strategic to have it as the 2nd since it's the better song. However the Hwa Sa collab is better by a millennia" - Chris

yes talent yes #1! it got exactly what it deserved 😌

THE THIRD BEST SONG WON!

Maybe there is a god in this godless place.

alex1alex1alex1 

Literally anyone who thinks Don't Die Now is better than the other tracks from this magnificent album is a basic-ass bitch.

This forum ALWAYS puts the lead single from any album in the top 3. I'm sick of it.

5 hours ago, LÉON said:

I've read the quote thrice now, and it still doesn't make sense wat3

If Physical wasn't on the album (buzz singles nearly never make the final cut) Hallucinate would've been my fav on the album.

3 hours ago, Madonna said:

This forum ALWAYS puts the lead single from any album in the top 3. I'm sick of it.

It does kinda get predictable and boring to see.

2 hours ago, Chris Morlock said:

If Physical wasn't on the album (buzz singles nearly never make the final cut) Hallucinate would've been my fav on the album.

That’s not really true orangu1 

13 hours ago, Madonna said:

If you say so. DSN didn't make me go and check out the new Dua album. I was expecting a very bland sellout-type of album and I'm guessing that is why the GP ain't checking for it as much cause all they know from it is DSN which is a nice lead single choice but not the best, if we're being honest.

Break My Heart, Physical, Levitating and Hallucinate all could have done just as well with all the promo and buzz that DSN got.

Cool is a nice mid-tier but I'm always a fan of the songs that I feel manage to stick out more from the rest.

Those are:
Pretty Please, Good in Bed & Physical

They manage to break up the flow of the album a bit, so it doesn't get boring. It's what an album needs so it doesn't become TOO cohesive...like to the point where every song sounds the same (i.e. Honeymoon, Norman Fucking Rockwell).

Quite contrary in my case - Don't Start Now made me check what Dua still has prepared for this album. The notion that she planned retro concept was telling of her intentions to fully dedicate to this album and make somehow interesting presentation. I don't really see how this song could have been sign of "sellout-type of album" considering Dua's previous project wasn't some indie type of record. She actually made herself more comfortable in dance region with this throwback kind of album.

People aren't really that much checking for it maybe, but I don't think the most important reason is Don't Start Now, because that song is most definitely checked, played and is already familiar. Like I said, she used all her strenghts there: her voice ( which really helps the lyrics to be digested better ), groovy, but not too heavy melody, retro tinged beats. It has more to do with it that Dua is not fully established artist still, but this project could push her further into that realm ( and it already does considering this is an improvement from her debut album in every sense ).

I don't think Break My Heart or other mentioned songs would have made the same type of splash as Don't Start Now. It is true she promoted it the most, but the song relied on itself for the biggest part. It was buidling very slowly since the moment of release and that was nearly half of year ago. And even if Don't Start Now hadn't been lead single, it wouldn't have changed the fact that it is a well crafted song. I mean, I am listing Cool and Love Again as other strong moments on the albums and they are not singles.

When It Comes to Pretty Please, that song can be classified as good material and most definitely grower in my case. It definitely makes for good "pause" and smooth transition between two dance-fire songs.

Good In Bed has interesting execution, but feels a little bit uninspired and tepid to me.

7 minutes ago, Ghostface said:

Quite contrary in my case - Don't Start Now made me check what Dua still has prepared for this album. The notion that she planned retro concept was telling of her intentions to fully dedicate to this album and make somehow interesting presentation. I don't really see how this song could have been sign of "sellout-type of album" considering Dua's previous project wasn't some indie type of record. She actually made herself more comfortable in dance region with this throwback kind of album.

People aren't really that much checking for it maybe, but I don't think the most important reason is Don't Start Now, because that song is most definitely checked, played and is already familiar. Like I said, she used all her strenghts there: her voice ( which really helps the lyrics to be digested better ), groovy, but not too heavy melody, retro tinged beats. It has more to do with it that Dua is not fully established artist still, but this project could push her further into that realm ( and it already does considering this is an improvement from her debut album in every sense ).

I don't think Break My Heart or other mentioned songs would have made the same type of splash as Don't Start Now. It is true she promoted it the most, but the song relied on itself for the biggest part. It was buidling very slowly since the moment of release and that was nearly half of year ago. And even if Don't Start Now hadn't been lead single, it wouldn't have changed the fact that it is a well crafted song. I mean, I am listing Cool and Love Again as other strong moments on the albums and they are not singles.

When It Comes to Pretty Please, that song can be classified as good material and most definitely grower in my case. It definitely makes for good "pause" and smooth transition between two dance-fire songs.

Good In Bed has interesting execution, but feels a little bit uninspired and tepid to me.

And I'm on the contrary in everything you wrote here, so cheers to that. Different tastes, different opinions and ours tend to be polar opposites looking at the artists we listen to and/or the songs from them we prefer.

I think songs like Cool, Love Again and Don't Start Now are the most uninspired and conventional songs on the album. They are cookie-cutter pop songs, but I'm guessing that is exactly what a ****** ***** stan would look for in an album, so I fully understand why you feel that way. I look for strong melodies and intriguing/exciting production. Lyrics are secondary (as I'm not a native speaker) but a nice addition. Disco has been done so many times in the past few years. So many people have tried to revive it and it's usually a fad that doesn't last very long because it's always the same formula. I've grown incredibly tired of it and that's why DSN will always be skipped in favor of better outtakes like If It Ain't Me.

14 hours ago, Chris Morlock said:

Physical isn't a buzz single, sis ajay1

23 minutes ago, Chris Morlock said:

Re read my original quote. I said IF it was just a buzz single jj4

Re-read your own quote ajay1 You said "IF it wasn't on the album"

23 hours ago, Madonna said:

And I'm on the contrary in everything you wrote here, so cheers to that. Different tastes, different opinions and ours tend to be polar opposites looking at the artists we listen to and/or the songs from them we prefer.

I think songs like Cool, Love Again and Don't Start Now are the most uninspired and conventional songs on the album. They are cookie-cutter pop songs, but I'm guessing that is exactly what a ****** ***** stan would look for in an album, so I fully understand why you feel that way. I look for strong melodies and intriguing/exciting production. Lyrics are secondary (as I'm not a native speaker) but a nice addition. Disco has been done so many times in the past few years. So many people have tried to revive it and it's usually a fad that doesn't last very long because it's always the same formula. I've grown incredibly tired of it and that's why DSN will always be skipped in favor of better outtakes like If It Ain't Me.

Well, me listening to any other artist doesn't have to do anything with the topic we are discussing now. You can't and don't know which artists and songs I am listening to, which means you are not fully aware of what I find important in songs. So, that kind of generalization is wrong, because neither I dedicate myself to few artists nor do I prefer only specific type of music. I also prefer intriguing productions and Cool happens to have stronger and more eventful production than, for example, Good In Bed. And it also feels fresher in tone than Pretty Please and more personal and sincere than Physical.

I am not native speaker either, but lyrics are equally important component in a song, so I tend to get wrapped around those.

Random Access Memories is still celebrated disco "attempt" and that was recent enough.

But hey, Physical for you, Don't Start Now for me, Good In Bed for you, Cool for me ( which I definitely appreciate because it is more sensual and enticing than Good In Bed for my liking at least - irony or not ), Break My Heart for you and Love Again for me and that's just fine.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.