Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

fab

Fix the reputation era!

Reputation is probably my fave Taylor album but I think we can all agree that the album rollout was a huge mess. Reception to LWYMMD was pretty negative, and she followed it up by a mediocre Ready For It just 10 days later. By the time she released Gorgeous, another mediocre song, as the next promotional single, her previous songs had already fizzled out. Reputation was by far her most anticipated era, but the momentum was kinda gone after just a few weeks. The first two singles got REALLY bad callout scores on radio which also really damaged her radio support for the rest of the era.  Time for an alternative scenario aretha1 

1. I Did Something Bad (Late August) 

This should've been the lead single for sure. The lyrics are better than LWYYMD, and the song itself is just way catchier and ... better whit2  

Promo Single (Mid September):  New Year's Day 

Promo Single (Early October):  Don't Blame Me 

These songs (or maybe Call It What You Want instead of DBM) should've been released to balance the aggressive lead single and keep fans excited. One of these promo singles might have picked up steam and could've been promoted to 2nd single. Otherwise

2. End Game (October) 

I know in hindsight we know that this would've likely flopped either way. But lets be real, this song was made to be a single and there is no scenario in which this doesn't get released as single in some way.  I also think this could've done a lot better in this alternative reality. 

Promo Single (1 week before the album):  Look What You Made Me Do ny2 a fun and highly controversial bop that gets fans excited, but without shoving it down the throats of radio listeners  

3. Delicate (January) 

The best song on reputation oprah14 

4. This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things (May) 

This is probably controversial but I think this could've been such a fun video, even though it likely would flop on radio

5. New Years Day (September) cry1

This could've picked up some radio airplay going into winter and probably would be a cute album seller to close the era 

4 hours ago, fab said:

This should've been the lead single for sure. The lyrics are better than LWYYMD, and the song itself is just way catchier and ... better whit2  

Please; The whole point of LWYMMD was the Mean Girls sample + all the references and metaphors allowing it to double as both a Katy drag and a Kanye drag whit2 

Nothing else would've been as symbolic or iconic!

LWYMMD was the best choice for the lead single. Not to mention it follows Taylor’s lead single pattern of being “controversial”.

However... The rest of the single choices were just wrong choices.

1. LWYMMD (Aug 17)

2. IDSB (Nov 17)

3. Delicate (Jan/Feb 18)

4. DBM (Apr 18)

5. DWOHT (June/July 18)

6. Getaway Car (Sept/Oct 18)

1. Look What You Made Me Do - Iconic song. A lot of people hate it, but I wouldn't change it for the world. Aged like fine wine conceptually, since she ended up winning. 

Promo Single: ...RFI? 

Promo Single: Gorgeous, throwaway song that keeps stans occupied ig

2. End Game - It's an Ed Sheeran feature that only flopped in a big way because they discarded it & pushed ...RFI instead. It doesn't work as a post-album release single. Pre-album release though, almost a guaranteed #1 hit. It'll still flop after, but oh well.

Promo Single: Call It What You Want

Promo Single: New Year's Day

Both to give a little faith for the stans that didn't like anything released before. CIWYW was definitely THAT song for me, it renewed my faith in the album and gave me the hope that it might be good, after all.

3. I Did Something Bad - Released a week or two before the album. Music video same week as the album. Another easy #1 hit if she plays her cards right.

-= Album release =- 

4. Getaway Car - About two months after the album drops. Will probably flop, but since it's one of the more radio friendly songs off Rep, a Top 20 is guaranteed with a good music video, and will keep the stans entertained for longer.

5. Delicate - aka Mother Superior. The song that promotes itself to close out the album. But it also means dry season, because Delicate is that bitch and will literally never fucking die. It charted for like over a full year on HAC? Girl. Her mind.

6. New Years Day - In November or something. I don't care for the song and it's definitely a filler single, but I know that she wanted to push the song a little as a way to not be shut out of Country radios entirely. So there we go. 

I kinda contemplated on if the fourth single should be DBM, but I think GC would fare better? But it's hard to see the era being successful post-album release. She's always the strongest pre-album release. ...RFI? peaked at #4 as a promo single with no other promo. Any single she releases pre-album will almost always be an instant #1 if she plays her cards right, so I wanted to capitalize on that. 

On 3/31/2020 at 7:07 AM, Snow said:

Any single she releases pre-album will almost always be an instant #1 if she plays her cards right, so I wanted to capitalize on that. 

Yeah but, half the album?

17 minutes ago, Chris Morlock said:

Yeah but, half the album?

I mean, it's basically 6 tracks since IDSB comes out a week before the album, which isn't too different from how the era actually went with the LWYMMD, RFI, Gorgeous, CIWYW, New Year's Day & End Game on album release week.

But New Year's Day can go and be released later on since it's a throwaway single anyways, so that cuts it down by 1.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.