Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

fab

Boris Johnson moved to intensive care unit

9 minutes ago, LÉON said:

3rd March was still very early on in the pandemic

It was early but we still saw how devastating it was. China had already been on total lockdown. Iran and Italy were seeing a steep incline of cases. The virus was spreading rapidly. It might have been early on but there was no excuse for them to not take it seriously. They knew it would get bad but not one country wanted to take it seriously, thus leading to the pandemic we are in currently. Scientists, WHO, and the CDC were all saying as early as January that this would get bad but those in power didn’t want to listen. I don’t know much about the PM (though from what I can see he isn’t that well liked!) but they knew well ahead of time, definitely by March 3rd, that things would get as bad as they are now, worse in fact. Does he deserve it, not for me to say. But we should really stop excusing our elected officials for not acting sooner and some even deeming it a Chinese hoax.

9 minutes ago, Divine said:

It was early but we still saw how devastating it was. China had already been on total lockdown. Iran and Italy were seeing a steep incline of cases. The virus was spreading rapidly. It might have been early on but there was no excuse for them to not take it seriously. They knew it would get bad but not one country wanted to take it seriously, thus leading to the pandemic we are in currently. Scientists, WHO, and the CDC were all saying as early as January that this would get bad but those in power didn’t want to listen. I don’t know much about the PM (though from what I can see he isn’t that well liked!) but they knew well ahead of time, definitely by March 3rd, that things would get as bad as they are now, worse in fact. Does he deserve it, not for me to say. But we should really stop excusing our elected officials for not acting sooner and some even deeming it a Chinese hoax.

clap3

11 minutes ago, Divine said:

This. In Northern Italy before the lockdown people used to say that it was nothing like the flu and the local mayors refused to lock down the small outbreaks when cases were rising and there are still hundreds of deaths in the Bergamo and Brescia areas now, two Italian cities near Milan . I don't blame the Italian Prime Minister because he protected the South from getting worse, there were only 60 cases where I live luckily. However, Scientists here said that the virus has been circulating undetected in Italy since Late November. The lockdown here is working luckily and we're expriencing a slow decrease of rate of infections along with deaths. And yes, in the US and the UK both leaders undermined the situation

21 minutes ago, Divine said:

Trouble is, we have had several "pandemics" in recent years that turned out to be a damp squib. The British mindset is very much "it's over there, it won't bother over here" (until it comes to Eastern Europeans nicki5). China putting people on lockdown was kind of seen as "classic China" at first.

The PM and the government have perhaps focused more on the economy than on healthcare, but tbh, if people don't have jobs/food/shelter to come back to, what's the point in living? nicki5

Although Boris made repeated gaffes, he was usually flanked by at least one scientist/medical person at each of his briefings, and for once the whole of Parliament seems to be working together. Everybody makes mistakes, and holding one man to account is not representative of the machine that goes on behind him.

31 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

Thank you, the Italian version is ''uomo avvisato, mezzo salvato'' and that's the tea luv rav1

Wig!

46 minutes ago, Divine said:

Thank you clap3 

Also, for what it's worth, March 3rd was definitely not "very early". In fact, it was pretty late. We have known about the virus since last year. The Chinese government may have fucked up their response to the virus, but they didn't know what they were dealing with. The rest of the world however did, and most still didn't take it seriously.

People were warned. Repeatedly. It's time to hold your incompetent & ineffective government officials accountable. 

21 minutes ago, Snow said:

Thank you clap3 

Also, for what it's worth, March 3rd was definitely not "very early". In fact, it was pretty late. We have known about the virus since last year. The Chinese government may have fucked up their response to the virus, but they didn't know what they were dealing with. The rest of the world however did, and most still didn't take it seriously.

People were warned. Repeatedly. It's time to hold your incompetent & ineffective government officials accountable. 

This. There’s NO EXCUSE. These narcissistic idiots should've pushed their egos aside and let medical professionals/scientists lead the way. Due to their delayed response, thousands of people are dying who wouldn’t have otherwise died. In my book, both Boris and Trump are guilty of man slaughter. Their downplaying and striaght up denial of the FACTS surrounding this virus is criminal and they deserve to pay.

45 minutes ago, LÉON said:

Trouble is, we have had several "pandemics" in recent years that turned out to be a damp squib. The British mindset is very much "it's over there, it won't bother over here" (until it comes to Eastern Europeans nicki5). China putting people on lockdown was kind of seen as "classic China" at first.

The PM and the government have perhaps focused more on the economy than on healthcare, but tbh, if people don't have jobs/food/shelter to come back to, what's the point in living? nicki5

Although Boris made repeated gaffes, he was usually flanked by at least one scientist/medical person at each of his briefings, and for once the whole of Parliament seems to be working together. Everybody makes mistakes, and holding one man to account is not representative of the machine that goes on behind him.

It’s called holding your elected representatives accountable for their mistakes. It is HIS responsibility as Prime Minister to lead the country and he failed to do so, and the consequence as a result is that thousands of British people will die preventable deaths because of his incompetence. The same goes for Trump in the US. The blood of civilians are on their hands for downplaying the virus when the scientific and public health consensus showed them the danger of this pandemic.

The economy will rebound. There are ways to support those in need during a lockdown. But human lives will never be brought back. There is absolutely no excuse for their actions in the name of “saving the economy” when you realize the fact that a delayed lockdown will have a MUCH GREATER negative impact on the economy than if you had done it early and prevented a major outbreak. Severe restrictions taken early, as was done in Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam, Hong Kong, South Korea, etc. means you limit the length of the lockdown and also will be able to better prepare to return to normalcy since the outbreak will be contained more quickly. Delayed action (like Italy, Iran, France, Spain, UK, and USA) means a much bigger outbreak, more deaths, strained healthcare, and ultimately, A LONGER QUARANTINE AND MORE DAMAGE TO THE ECONOMY. 

How is this NOT clear to anyone who can read? brit4 

I think people will truly realize how major this virus is when a major world leader (unfortunately) dies. Even now with 1 million + KNOWN infections, people are still carrying their day on as if nothing has changed. I hope people will get some sense knocked into them soon. I really do.

11 hours ago, Vesper said:

It’s called holding your elected representatives accountable for their mistakes. It is HIS responsibility as Prime Minister to lead the country and he failed to do so, and the consequence as a result is that thousands of British people will die preventable deaths because of his incompetence. The same goes for Trump in the US. The blood of civilians are on their hands for downplaying the virus when the scientific and public health consensus showed them the danger of this pandemic.

The economy will rebound. There are ways to support those in need during a lockdown. But human lives will never be brought back. There is absolutely no excuse for their actions in the name of “saving the economy” when you realize the fact that a delayed lockdown will have a MUCH GREATER negative impact on the economy than if you had done it early and prevented a major outbreak. Severe restrictions taken early, as was done in Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam, Hong Kong, South Korea, etc. means you limit the length of the lockdown and also will be able to better prepare to return to normalcy since the outbreak will be contained more quickly. Delayed action (like Italy, Iran, France, Spain, UK, and USA) means a much bigger outbreak, more deaths, strained healthcare, and ultimately, A LONGER QUARANTINE AND MORE DAMAGE TO THE ECONOMY. 

Couldnt have said it better myself clap3 

21 hours ago, Vesper said:

Look I'm not wholeheartedly disagreeing with you, but I can see why people were slow on the uptake. I don't see France/Spain/Italy's leader having death threats, and those countries are even worse (in terms of deaths) than we are.

To understand a country's reaction to a pandemic, you have to look at how dictatorial that country was already, and how compliant its citizens usually are. Also, the fact that a high number of pandemics in recent years have stemmed, or at least blown up, in the Far East, so people over there are much more accustomed to dealing with it than people over here.

People in places like the UK and France would not have reacted well to an earlier lockdown. The government did the right thing, in many ways - such as to avoid civil unrest - to phase in the lockdown gently. A friend of mine who is in her 70s, has recently recovered from sepsis, and lives alone, was initially irate at being told she should stay at home for 12 weeks because she was most at-risk. Imagine what everyday people who weren't vulnerable would have said about an earlier lockdown?

You only realise what a mistake is in hindsight. I personally don't feel most governments/leaders purposefully put people at risk, they just didn't take enough steps. Look at it this way - it would be a proper display of wilful negligence if Boris Johnson hadn't got Coronavirus but everyone else had.

Running a country is not easy at the best of times. I believe in not kicking a down when it's down.

On 4/6/2020 at 3:42 PM, Gilly said:

trump next pls brit1 

On 4/6/2020 at 4:43 PM, Madonna said:

It's what he deserves for being a stupid prick.

#TrumpNext

giphy.gif

I hate Trump as much as the next guy, but let's not wish death or harm or illness on someone. No matter the person, wishing death or ill on another individual is awful and makes us no better than the people we're wishing it upon. 

12 hours ago, Mr. Mendes said:

I hate Trump as much as the next guy, but let's not wish death or harm or illness on someone. No matter the person, wishing death or ill on another individual is awful and makes us no better than the people we're wishing it upon. 

You wouldn’t wish death to Hitler or Stalin, or someone who murders your family? Not necessarily saying Trump is equivalent of either of those examples but there is seems to be a threshold to that sentiment. 

I would never wish death on Donald Trump. I would, however, hope that he contracts a flesh-eating disorder and large parts of him start falling off. That would please me. 

As far as Boris goes, he's apparently out of the woods, like I expected him to be. He's the leader of a state, he's going to have physicians jumping up and down on his chest. For politics in Britain, I expect that he's going to emerge from this stronger than ever, and more powerful than ever. I hope people on the left in the United Kingdom will point out that they were quite dismissive of it at first, including BoJo. Still, I'm glad he recovered, he's not so intolerable as Trump, and his children and loved ones (and he's not orange). 

13 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

I would never wish death on Donald Trump. I would, however, hope that he contracts a flesh-eating disorder and large parts of him start falling off. That would please me. 

As far as Boris goes, he's apparently out of the woods, like I expected him to be. He's the leader of a state, he's going to have physicians jumping up and down on his chest. For politics in Britain, I expect that he's going to emerge from this stronger than ever, and more powerful than ever. I hope people on the left in the United Kingdom will point out that they were quite dismissive of it at first, including BoJo. Still, I'm glad he recovered, he's not so intolerable as Trump, and his children and loved ones (and he's not orange). 

He will honestly end up being a male Margaret Thatcher. The British economy will go to absolute shits with Brexit.

3 hours ago, Madonna said:

He will honestly end up being a male Margaret Thatcher. The British economy will go to absolute shits with Brexit.

For poor people. 

For middle-class-ish and wealthier people, it'll be just fine, just like Thatcher. 

The difference is that the Conservative Party under Boris Johnson is almost entirely loyal to him. Thatcher didn't have that and was almost constantly warring with more center people in her party. Boris is the party, what happened in that last election has pretty much assured him personal control of the party until he chooses to leave it. 

Or something so colossally stupid forces him out, and some crushed poor people don't meet that qualification.  

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.