Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

fab

More unexpected flop: Judas vs. Birthday vs. End Game

Poll   

28 members have voted

1. 1. More unexpected flop: Judas vs. Birthday vs. End Game

• End Game
    • Judas
    • Birthday

All these singles followed up hugely successful hits (except maybe End Game) and were widely expected to become #1 smashes on their own gaga6 as we know they surprisingly failed to become hits  gaga6 

Judas and End Game followed up Born This Way and Look What You Made Me Do (both huge hits, but at the same time very frontloaded) and Birthday followed up Dark Horse (an organic SMASH song). So, my vote goes to miss Birfday. gaga6

Just now, Phoebe said:

Judas and End Game followed up Born This Way and Look What You Made Me Do (both huge hits, but at the same time very frontloaded) and Birthday followed up Dark Horse (an organic SMASH song). So, my vote goes to miss Birfday. gaga6

points tbh gaga6

I would say End Game tbh. 

Judas' release was very messy with the leaks and being released on Holy Week, it would probably be more surprising if it didn't underperform. And as for Birthday.. did anyone really think it was gonna be a big hit? It was the fourth single and the song wasn't even good laughcry1 

End Game on the other hand was a clear-cut hit.. on paper. It had Ed Sheeran, who was MASSIVE at the time. The MV has a budget that puts all the other girls to shame. Those two things alone should have made End Game an easy & instant hit regardless of the quality of the song. 

End Game because it had three big names on the song including Ed Sheeran who is HUGE among the locals. 

Then it's Judas, because Gaga released a high budget music video for a Bad Romance rehash and it didn't work so the hopes were high. 

Birthday and End Game are both incredibly weak songs rip2 I'll let Birthday off because it was the fourth single, but EG was the second... did she really think it was going to smash on Ed Sheeran alone?

Meanwhile Judas is at least a half-good song but gosh, is that chorus flimsy nicki5 But as another said, the controversy surrounding it made it less of a surprise when it underperformed.

2 hours ago, Snow said:

I would say End Game tbh. 

Judas' release was very messy with the leaks and being released on Holy Week, it would probably be more surprising if it didn't underperform. And as for Birthday.. did anyone really think it was gonna be a big hit? It was the fourth single and the song wasn't even good laughcry1 

End Game on the other hand was a clear-cut hit.. on paper. It had Ed Sheeran, who was MASSIVE at the time. The MV has a budget that puts all the other girls to shame. Those two things alone should have made End Game an easy & instant hit regardless of the quality of the song. 

I remember how Katycats were calling Birthday another "surefire #1 hit" after Dark Horse peaked katy8  

like yeah in hindsight it seems easy to dismiss Birthday as cringey kids bop, but if Last Friday Night could reach #1 as fifth single, why shouldn't Birthday oprah14 

there was even an article on Billboard when Prism came out that speculated about future singles, that assessed that Birthday had the biggest commercial potential out of all songs (including Dark Horse eve1 ) 

Just now, fab said:

I remember how Katycats were calling Birthday another "surefire #1 hit" after Dark Horse peaked katy8  

like yeah in hindsight it seems easy to dismiss Birthday as cringey kids bop, but if Last Friday Night could reach #1 as fifth single, why shouldn't Birthday oprah14 

Well to be fair stans of each artist can be very delulu, monsters thought G.U.Y was gonna be Top 10 hit too, or Swifties with The Man, Arianators with DCMA moo1

Don't disrespect Last Friday Night though, that song is a bop ny8 and, different eras aside, it's actually a good song, unlike Birthday moo1 

3 minutes ago, fab said:

there was even an article on Billboard when Prism came out that speculated about future singles, that assessed that Birthday had the biggest commercial potential out of all songs (including Dark Horse eve1 ) 

Billboard can be delulu too moo1 They're a good enough source, but misses more than they should. I mean, these are the people who snubbed All Too Well on their 'Best Taylor Swift Songs' list and also named Shawn "one of the most stylish men in the music industry", so like.. moo1 

I can SEE why they would think that though. It's a generic bop, kid-friendly, bound to be a staple at every 8-year-old's birthday party ever. But I just never thought of it as a hit ever. I genuinely thought it was that clear from the get-go. Legendary Lovers deserved and that's the tea. Maybe I should run Billboard moo1 

3 minutes ago, Snow said:

Well to be fair stans of each artist can be very delulu, monsters thought G.U.Y was gonna be Top 10 hit too, or Swifties with The Man, Arianators with DCMA moo1

Don't disrespect Last Friday Night though, that song is a bop ny8 and, different eras aside, it's actually a good song, unlike Birthday moo1 

Billboard can be delulu too moo1 They're a good enough source, but misses more than they should. I mean, these are the people who snubbed All Too Well on their 'Best Taylor Swift Songs' list and also named Shawn "one of the most stylish men in the music industry", so like.. moo1 

I can SEE why they would think that though. It's a generic bop, kid-friendly, bound to be a staple at every 8-year-old's birthday party ever. But I just never thought of it as a hit ever. I genuinely thought it was that clear from the get-go. Legendary Lovers deserved and that's the tea. Maybe I should run Billboard moo1 

same omg I remember hating on Birthday back then rip3 Like yeah on paper it's a good song, but it's just missing some kind of spark.. Legendary Lovers has terrible lyrics but it just has a more interesting sound and probably would've been a bigger hit cry3 

19 minutes ago, fab said:

same omg I remember hating on Birthday back then rip3 Like yeah on paper it's a good song, but it's just missing some kind of spark.. Legendary Lovers has terrible lyrics but it just has a more interesting sound and probably would've been a bigger hit cry3 

Bithday is honestly such a calculated song laughcry1 I hated it so much, still do, I think it's one of her worst. It was clear what Katy & her team was trying to do with it. Same with Taylor and End Game. A hit.. but only on paper.

Legendary Lovers would have snapped moo1 The lyrics aren't so great, but I really don't remember the last time a Katy song stood out lyrically anyways. I think either LL or Walking on Air would have been better choices for the fourth single tbh. 

2 minutes ago, rihce said:

Didn't End Game have countless promo efforts, big budget AND Ed Sheeran?? it's a massive shock it bombed.

I'm not sure tbh.. was it even performed live? 

End Game, for sure. It being Taylor Swift, the features, and the style of the song cleared it up to smash.

Birthday probably second-runner because Katy was very successful at the time and it's a lowkey bop.

Judas didn't have a chance, tbh. I mean, the title and the lyrics alone…

End Game. The song had Ed Sheeran AND Future as features. Besides, there were hundreds of covers on YouTube before it was even released as a single. The song was also very catchy and radio-friendly. It was a huge surprise but LWYMMD and Ready for It probably killed the era before it could even start properly.

Judas and Birthday weren't good songs to begin with. Gaga should have gone with The Edge of Glory or Marry the Night and Katy should have released Legendary Lovers instead. It was obvious from the start that those two songs would tank.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.