Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

poSLAYtions

Liberation Is Actually Not So Liberated

Liberation is my current second favorite Xtina's album because of...well, look at the material! However, for such a heavy title, this album is actually kind of confusing. Weird. Problematic too. If you ever paid attention to the songs, especially with that tracklist, the way the story goes from one track to another is such a scary thing. Basically, every songs after Like I Do are not so liberated because started with Deserve it seemed that the [problematic] protagonist of the story is engaged in such a toxic relationship that affect both her and her partner so negatively. Then, she goes into Twice which I still don't quite understand whether she's singing about herself or the partner, nevertheless it's a touching soul ballad. After that comes that interlude, and then Accelerate, Pipe, Masochist, and finally the albums ends with Unless It's With You. So...she broke away from the 'slavery' that was The Voice yet still is enslaved in her personal romantic life? Or is it really a liberation if a woman still decides to maintain what seems to be a toxic relationship as long as she herself decides that fate? But she also found guilty pleasures in people that she just met to hook up casually...despite the ongoing relationship? Has it not ever stayed, must it always fade away?

3 hours ago, Bionic-Boy-84 said:

Generally, I feel that the album needed one or two less interludes and replaced with more tracks. It’s too bitty to really get any momentum going

I wish she would add the Pink collab on it mad2 

On 5/4/2020 at 11:11 PM, Habits said:

I wish she would add the Pink collab on it mad2 

It REALLY annoyed me how that track was mentioned and she playfully said she was keeping it in her back pocket. I doubt we’ll EVER hear it! Ugh 

What's funny is that Lotus was lowkey more liberating than Liberation was but not as "delicate" as the title would suggest. I think if the titles were flipped it would have made more sense.

9 hours ago, Madonna said:

What's funny is that Lotus was lowkey more liberating than Liberation was but not as "delicate" as the title would suggest. I think if the titles were flipped it would have made more sense.

To be fair I don't really think Lotus title fit for Liberation either, she should've just called her album Maria

Yeah, the inclusion of songs like Masochist and Pipe are confusing, considering she's been in a committed relationship for over 10 years. Idk if they have an open relationship or what, but I don't think they do.

Honestly, I feel like a lot of the songs on the album she only included cuz she liked the vibe of them. Not every song has to be super personal and related to her own life, I get that. But since the album was marketed as a return to her genuine "true" self, with her going bare-faced on the cover and everything, it comes off as weird.

Pipe can be about his actual boyfriend even if they are together now for more than 10 years. There are still couples that know how to experiment on their encounters or have a vivid pleasure relationship, without even including a third.

It can only be a song that talks about that or it's something from the past or just her imagination, but it could very be about his boyfriend too. We'll never know.

I really thought it had nothing to do with the songs, but more with her image, how she removed the heavy make up to show her freckles and Liberation is like a revolutionary movement hence the black soldier like outfit and the theme in the Fall In Line video.

2 hours ago, BlueBalls said:

She co-wrote 9 out of 11 songs though, lol

Yes but Twice and Deserve are songs that give an image that something is wrong when maybe nothing is wrong at all in her life.

I've believed for a while now that the Liberation we got was not exactly what she set out to make. The album itself is fine, but it's got a really strange structure to it and doesn't often make a whole lot of sense in terms of what it's trying to say. I kinda feel the released version was just kind of pulled together from different ideas and they attempted to make something thematic out of it and it just didn't quite work out all the way. 

On 5/3/2020 at 3:55 PM, Tama said:

Liberation is my current second favorite Xtina's album because of...well, look at the material! However, for such a heavy title, this album is actually kind of confusing. Weird. Problematic too. If you ever paid attention to the songs, especially with that tracklist, the way the story goes from one track to another is such a scary thing. Basically, every songs after Like I Do are not so liberated because started with Deserve it seemed that the [problematic] protagonist of the story is engaged in such a toxic relationship that affect both her and her partner so negatively. Then, she goes into Twice which I still don't quite understand whether she's singing about herself or the partner, nevertheless it's a touching soul ballad. After that comes that interlude, and then Accelerate, Pipe, Masochist, and finally the albums ends with Unless It's With You. So...she broke away from the 'slavery' that was The Voice yet still is enslaved in her personal romantic life? Or is it really a liberation if a woman still decides to maintain what seems to be a toxic relationship as long as she herself decides that fate? But she also found guilty pleasures in people that she just met to hook up casually...despite the ongoing relationship? Has it not ever stayed, must it always fade away?

and I oop...

On 5/6/2020 at 12:27 AM, Bionic-Boy-84 said:

It REALLY annoyed me how that track was mentioned and she playfully said she was keeping it in her back pocket. I doubt we’ll EVER hear it! Ugh 

This. It also annoyed me when she kept teasing us with the “Wonderland” song/interlude video which was played during The Liberation tour but never gave us anything after all the hype sia4

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.