Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

jrdn

Rank Mariah Carey's eras vocally.

Rank Mariah's eras from best to worst vocally and if possible including your reasons or opinions about her voice in each era. 

Curly Hair Era: Debut - 1992 

Music Box / Merry Christmas: 1993-94

Daydreamriah: 1995 - 1996

Butterfly: 1997-1999

Rainbow: 1999 - 2000

Glitter: 2001

Charmbracelet: 2002 - 2003

Emancipation: 2005 - 2006

Einstein: 2008

Memoirs Of A Imperfect Angel: 2009/10

Merry Christmas 2 / #Beautiful Era: 2011-2013

Me. I Am The Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse: 2014 - 2015

Infinity: 2016/17

Caution: 2018 - Now

The years picked for each era below have selected on purpose based on when i think her voice changed the most/least, hence 2015 being in the MIAM era because i believe her voice didn't change much in 2014/2015 when compared to 2015/2016. I'll post my ranking soon.

1: Daydream (1995/96)

Most would agree that this was her best era vocally, she was consistent with the Daydream Tour given us many of her best vocal moments. She had ease in all of her range (besides the lows and some whistles).

2:Glitter (2001)

A truly underrated era. Mariahs voice around this time was similar to Rainbow in terms of tone, but had the ease of Daydream (except in high belts) and with better whistles.  

3: Curly Hair Era (1990-92)

Probably her most soulful / raw era vocally. Strong lows, good belts, flawless whistles. Although she could over push her voice at times. 

4: Charmbracelet (2003-4)

Much like Glitter but with slightly more rasp, her range was probably at it's widest in this era when you consider she could hit notes in the second octave. 

5: Music Box / Merry Christmas (1993-94)

Pretty much identical to Daydream but with a slightly fuller sound, rated lower due to inconsistencies and weak upper belts. 

6: Merry Christmas 2 / #Beautiful Era: 2011-2013

Another underrated era. and when combined with Memoirs 2009-2013 was probably her 3rd vocal prime. The runs and transitions during this era were insane and her belting was pretty consistent. 

7: Butterfly: 1997-1999

Despite being marked as the start of her vocal decline i've always thought Butterfly was a good era vocally, her voice had developed rasp but she still had just as much ease on a good day when belting as she did during Daydream. 

8: Memoirs Of A Imperfect Angel: 2009/10

Probably her best era for mid belts. Despite Mariah clearly not having the best of confidence during this era (understandable as it was just after her miscarriage). Her voice was in really good condition and the Angels Advocate Tour brought some of her best belts. The Make It Happen Climaxes were easily some of her best. 

9: Emancipation (2005/06)

Much like Charmbracelet but more rasp and less consistent. A good era vocally, but ranked lower as her voice was pretty tired by 2006.  

10: Infinity (2016/17)

2016 was another good year vocally, although her belts could be a bit too nasal at times she was pretty consistent and brought good vocals. Her voice got more healthy in 2017 but less consistent and she lacked the confidence of 2016.

11: Rainbow (1999/2000)

This era had it's moments, but Mariah was clearly tired and at times she sounded more like a pitchy man. The climax of Hero at the Today show is iconic. The Tour was actually not too bad although she did often dodge notes. Despite that i actually loved her tone.

12: Caution (2018-now)

I've ranked lower as her belting has weakened and she dodges more notes now, however overall her voice seems in better shape, pretty consistent and she's been improving over time. It seems Mariahs main issue now isn't vocal condition but rather confidence and believing in herself. Her acapella moments easily outshine her concerts. 

13: Einstein (2008)

Given the fact she took lots of rest in 2007 you'd have expected her voice to be in good condition, but unfortunately she often sounded dry and her belts were not strong. Despite this it did have it's good moments and for that i'm ranking it higher than MIAM.

14: MIAM...TEC (2014/15)

Her weakest era vocally. Basically Rainbow pt2 but without the good vocals of Rainbow Tour ari9

40 minutes ago, I Brings That Levity said:

2:Glitter (2001)

A truly underrated era. Mariahs voice around this time was similar to Rainbow in terms of tone, but had the ease of Daydream (except in high belts) and with better whistles.  

This era is underrated, AF!

10 minutes ago, Ruthless Love said:

This era is underrated, AF!

I love how clear her voice was. Plus the tone and whistles!

I'm not a vocal expert but based on what I've seen

Daydream > Emotions > Music Box = Debut > Glitter > Charmbracelet > Emancipation > Butterfly > MIAM (2013 tbh) > Memoirs > Rainbow > Einstein > Caution > Infinity

2 hours ago, Ruthless Love said:

Yes, and the music itself was magical!

Definitely. There For Me, Lead The Way and Never Too Far are some of her best ballads.

this is gonna be controversial but Daydream is not her vocal peak. It's actually Emotions that's when her voice was full and powerful. After that it started thinning.. she has an amazing sense of pitch and control so it gave her more agility however her voice was very inconsistent and sometimes nasally...

Emotions > Music Box > Debut > Merry Christmas > Daydream > Butterfly > The Emancipation of Mimi > Charmbracelet > the rest...

I'd say her 90's era are definitely top 5 from the debut to Rainbow with Music Box being Number #1. While Glitter and Charmbracelet are clearly underrperformed. I think The Elusive Chanteuse era is the worst of them all rip4 

Daydream era isn't her best vocally. Yeah her upper register was easier to access and felt freer but since her mix became way headier her pitch took a hit and she was often pitchy. Her best era vocally is Music Box-Merry Christmas.

45 minutes ago, rhi said:

Daydream era isn't her best vocally. Yeah her upper register was easier to access and felt freer but since her mix became way headier her pitch took a hit and she was often pitchy. Her best era vocally is Music Box-Merry Christmas.

I see your point but was Music Box really the best? Some of the TV performances were good but the era as a whole was inconsistent (especially the tour), imo Charmbraclet and the Glitter eras were vocally overall better. Although there were some great moments often in the Music Box era she was just as raspy as she was in the Butterfly era. With the Daydream era it wasn't just her upper register, even the mid registered sounded more easy and freer. 

I'd agree with @Sylk that the Emotions was better than Music box. 

Just look at the climax here for example, if you close your eyes this could easily have been from 1998 (or even 2005 brit15). 

7 hours ago, I Brings That Levity said:

I see your point but was Music Box really the best? Some of the TV performances were good but the era as a whole was inconsistent (especially the tour), imo Charmbraclet and the Glitter eras were vocally overall better. Although there were some great moments often in the Music Box era she was just as raspy as she was in the Butterfly era. With the Daydream era it wasn't just her upper register, even the mid registered sounded more easy and freer. 

I'd agree with @Sylk that the Emotions was better than Music box. 

Just look at the climax here for example, if you close your eyes this could easily have been from 1998 (or even 2005 brit15). 

early music box era was rocky yeah, here specifically though she commented on how cold the room was and that probably affected her very fragile voice. i actually agree about emotions being better than MB, her voice in early 1992 was INSANE. that performance of if it's over at the grammys is one of if not her best vocal performance

On 5/6/2020 at 4:30 PM, Sylk said:

this is gonna be controversial but Daydream is not her vocal peak. It's actually Emotions that's when her voice was full and powerful. After that it started thinning.. she has an amazing sense of pitch and control so it gave her more agility however her voice was very inconsistent and sometimes nasally...

Emotions > Music Box > Debut > Merry Christmas > Daydream > Butterfly > The Emancipation of Mimi > Charmbracelet > the rest...

It's not controversial when it's true, love. Emotions era was MC's best era vocally.

17 hours ago, Tama said:

It's not controversial when it's true, love. Emotions era was MC's best era vocally.

I completely agree just look at the vocals on songs like Make It Happen and Can't Let Go, the power is insane 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.