Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shego

Has streaming ruined the importance of the charts?

Madonna had to serve good music and some of the best music videos of all time to receive her 38 top 10s, while Drake comes to tie this record with random singles promoted on TikTok. I cannot accept this clownery anymore luv. Does he even have to try? I haven't see him caring about promo at all. Spotify is there for him, he can release the worst shite of all time and it would still go top 10 cuz Spotify wants it. I cannot take seriously the charts anymore, this is so unfair for the older acts, who actually had to try to sell music.

Let's not talk how the PDFile with the M&M's teeth 6ix9ine will probably get a #1 the next week, 113 million views in 3 days, i'm pressed i fear. These artists would be considered legends and iconic in 30 years by today's generation, the decline whew, worse than Beyonce's Spirit Billboard 100 run.

XxZHQYN.gif

No. It just made it easier for rap artists to get hits which is sometimes for the better sometimes for the worst. For example neither Doja or Megan would've gotten that high in the radio era. That's why it took so long for Nicki to get that #1. 

I agree that sometimes the shittiest songs peak high but now with Tiktok, social media and streaming anything can be a hit not only what radio wants. Even if Spotify pushes singles if the gp ain't feeling it it's gonna tank i.e Yummy, Drake's new song that is already losing steam etc.

I mean technically the introduction of streaming into charts better reflects what people are actually listening to, but yes there is still beef to be had with peoples' taste sometimes moo1

Drake is easily as big as Madonna was, and he has tried. He's been around for over a decade. Streaming is how we listen to music now -- very few people buy albums, digital or otherwise. It isn't unfair to other artists who had to "try" to sell music. Music is not consumed the same way it used to be and the charts should reflect that; just because it may boost artists you don't like doesn't mean it's inaccurate or any less useful

7 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

Not really. It's basically the same thing but instead of CDs, it's streaming. The main thing is that Music is the reflection of Society/certain generation so rip4 

No it's not, physical/digital sales have more value than streaming. Unless you think repeating a song 24/7 for a week in every platform has more value, Say So teas. Or cheating by giving US streams while you don't live in US, Shallow and many other songs teas. There are plenty of young people who do that, this isn't something rare. nicki5 

Now everything it's easier, i mentioned Drake specifically on purpose. I haven't see him promoting his music that much, he doesn't have any iconic moment/performance etc, i see him rarely on TV shows, awards etc, yet he somehow always receives big streams cuz streaming platforms overpomote him. If they promote someone else as Drake he would end up having the same streaming power, periodt. Anyone would chart then. 

If streaming platforms stop using playlists for a month, we all gonna see how big streaming power each artist has, bookmark me.

XxZHQYN.gif

Streaming is homophobic so yes

Spotify, Apple Music and other Streaming platforms are dominated by straight men who listen to 69ine, Drake etc. How are gays supposed to compete when they're only 2% of the world population? #StreamingIsOverParty #StayWoke

Bring back the pop girls rose1 

4 minutes ago, Beel said:

Drake is easily as big as Madonna was, and he has tried. He's been around for over a decade. Streaming is how we listen to music now -- very few people buy albums, digital or otherwise. It isn't unfair to other artists who had to "try" to sell music. Music is not consumed the same way it used to be and the charts should reflect that; just because it may boost artists you don't like doesn't mean it's inaccurate or any less useful

Ok lol3 Thanks for showing me another reason why streaming has ruin music and the way people define the status of an artist.

Ed Sheeran has multiple billion streamed songs, bigger than MJ i guess. lol3 

2 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Streaming is homophobic so yes

Spotify, Apple Music and other Streaming platforms are dominated by straight men who listen to 69ine, Drake etc. How are gays supposed to compete when they're only 2% of the world population? #StreamingIsOverParty #StayWoke

Bring back the pop girls rose1 

More like make streaming platforms diverse at least. rose1 Till the 2000s, the charts had diversity, they were filled with pop artists, rnb artists, rap artists, rock groups etc. Now it's mostly whatever Spotify promotes. Make it more fair at least huns. rav2

9 minutes ago, Moira O'Hara said:

No it's not, physical/digital sales have more value than streaming. Unless you think repeating a song 24/7 for a week in every platform has more value, Say So teas. Or cheating by giving US streams while you don't live in US, Shallow and many other songs teas. There are plenty of young people who do that, this isn't something rare. nicki5 

Now everything it's easier, i mentioned Drake specifically on purpose. I haven't see him promoting his music that much, he doesn't have any iconic moment/performance etc, i see him rarely on TV shows, awards etc, yet he somehow always receives big streams cuz streaming platforms overpomote him. If they promote someone else as Drake he would end up having the same streaming power, periodt. Anyone would chart then. 

If streaming platforms stop using playlists for a month, we all gonna see how big streaming power each artist has, bookmark me.

XxZHQYN.gif

This may sound like unpopular opinion but I believe that it's somehow similar, instead of MTV and all the things you mentioned before. there is Internet marketing through social media with lame dance moves on useless apps such as Tiktok or memes . Sure it's easier than it was before. But When it comes to being Iconic, the CD Generation is totally on another level of course. Also they're focusing on one genre rather than the big picture back in the 2000s for example

dont be pressed cause no one is listening to your crusty ass fav. 

if anything, streaming has made charts more accurate than EVER before. Its what people are really listening to, unlike charts before, which could more easily be inflated by things like radio payola, etc. 

Did I see someone say that Drake is bigger than madonna ever was? Wow. 

Anyways. Its half and half. Streaming is a reflection of what's actually popular, the older sales model is a reflection of what is successful. The decline of sales broke down the elitist charts, but none of the newer hit artists will ever know the legendary status artists like madonna or mj had

Just now, Moira O'Hara said:

Ok lol3 Thanks for showing me another reason why streaming has ruin music and the way people define the status of an artist.

Ed Sheeran has multiple billion streamed songs, bigger than MJ i guess. lol3 

You are comparing apples and oranges. You're trying to say that artists who have been around for ~10 years can't possibly be considered as big as artists who have been around for ~40 and have had time for music critics and historians to evaluate their legacies.

Maybe in 30 years people will think Ed Sheeran was as big as MJ or Elton John, maybe in 30 years people will view Drake as belonging to the same class of musicians as Madonna. You can't know, but numbers don't lie

6 minutes ago, Moira O'Hara said:

More like make streaming platforms diverse at least. rose1 Till the 2000s, the charts had diversity, they were filled with pop artists, rnb artists, rap artists, rock groups etc. Now it's mostly whatever Spotify promotes. Make it more fair at least huns. rav2

Moreover, they manipulate Streaming nowadays just like Record Labels used to trick before with lowering Album prices 

5 minutes ago, Gilly said:

dont be pressed cause no one is listening to your crusty ass fav. 

if anything, streaming has made charts more accurate than EVER before. Its what people are really listening to, unlike charts before, which could more easily be inflated by things like radio payola, etc. 

I'm not mad about that, people were listening to Madonna without anyone overpromoting her ass. The opposite of what's happening right now with few artists. ny12 With your crusty old ass fave not being one of them ofc. ny12 

Just now, Moira O'Hara said:

I'm not mad about that, people were listening to Madonna without anyone overpromoting her ass. The opposite of what's happening right now with few artists. ny12 With your crusty old ass fave not being one of them ofc. ny12 

ok boomer

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.