Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Princess Aurora

Are we too forgiving of homophobic behaviour in Music ?

Since Pride Month is coming closer (despite the fact that Pride Parades are cancelled due to Coronavirus) It was time to talk about a very important topic. are we failing the LGBTQ+ community by moving on from the bigoted behaviour of GP's favorite Musicians ? Although in 2019, the longest #1 in History was achieved by a Young Gay Man, he had to pretend straight for popularity, Other relevant examples may be  6ix9ine and other  Bizzare Statements such as The Game or the Deceased XXXTentacion about ''The Gays Ruling Industry'' lol3   sorry but I can't or Kevin Fret's Murder (the first openly gay Latin Trap Music)  . Even in the Pop Shpere, we had artists such as Donna Summer, Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, Ashanti, Fantasia, Katy Perry (even though she apologized and showed more support than others mentioned here and openly talked about her being problematic see I Kissed A Girl and Ur So Gay despite the disastrous performance with Migos in one of her best tracks ever ) .However, there were many other homophobic episodes that occured in recent years and so on. It is nonetheless important that these behaviours, apparently harmless, are very dangerous. Even though in these last four decades there was a rise of Progressive Musicians that Masses enjoy but at the same time, there's another that leaves an impact regardless the treatment of the LGBT Community. For example, what If an already Vulnerable kid who is beginning to discover their sexuality hears his own idols singing or rapping negatively about being gay/lesbian/trans and bisexual ? or someone who lives in the closet or is about to come out accidentally hears homophobic slurs on the radio or on their Spotify/Apple Music or whatever streaming site shuffle playlists ?

Let's discuss about this with providing other examples If you know instead of the same useless Fave vs Fave thread rav1 

Rappers in general are very problematic people. They're either homophobes (Migos, Nicki, Azealia), sexists (pretty much every rapper), rapists (Cardi B, along with many others), murderers (Nicki and her husband), pedo enablers (Nicki) or pedophiles themselves (Tekashi 69), women hating pussies (Eminem, XXXTentacion), druggies or dealers...the list just goes on and on.

The sad part about it is that young people, especially young straight people think it's cool to act like a thug and listen to rap music and act like these bastards.

7 hours ago, Madonna said:

Rappers in general are very problematic people. They're either homophobes (Migos, Nicki, Azealia), sexists (pretty much every rapper), rapists (Cardi B, along with many others), murderers (Nicki and her husband), pedo enablers (Nicki) or pedophiles themselves (Tekashi 69), women hating pussies (Eminem, XXXTentacion), druggies or dealers...the list just goes on and on.

The sad part about it is that young people, especially young straight people think it's cool to act like a thug and listen to rap music and act like these bastards.

Unfortunately. Even Artists like Kendrick Llamar, Macklemore, J Cole who are considered ''conscious'' also have some problematic things such as conflicted misogyn but not comparable to the ones you mentioned. The only ones who are really making a difference are Missy Elliot, Queen Latifah, Kid Cudi and low-key Chace The Rapper If I remember well.

Just now, Princess Aurora said:

I'd say the General Public 

oh i thought you were talking about the lgbt community being forgiving dead1 then yeah, they definitely are, but it's not just with homophobia either 

7 minutes ago, Simón. said:

Of course pop stans are running in to drag a whole genre rip4

Not really, based on my short essay. I tried to bring up every genre since I specified Music rather than a specific genre since it'd make no sense. Even a singer like Sam Smith who is a Pop Artist pretended to be non-flamboyant at his early stage of his career. I don't know If I explained myself moo1 You can provide other examples If you know them.

3 minutes ago, tomás said:

oh i thought you were talking about the lgbt community being forgiving dead1 then yeah, they definitely are, but it's not just with homophobia either 

Of course but I feel like this topic is seen as obscure or not being discussed enough you know what I mean ?

11 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

Unfortunately. Even Artists like Kendrick Llamar, Macklemore, J Cole who are considered ''conscious'' also have some problematic things such as conflicted misogyn but not comparable to someone like the ones you mentioned. The only one who is really making a difference is Missy Elliot and low-key Chace The Rapper If I remember well.

lets not pretend pop singers never said and done something problematic, yet stans are always quick to defend them 

its always easy to just hate on rappers, bro 

6 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

Not really, based on my short essay. I tried to bring up every genre since I specified Music rather than a specific genre since it'd make no sense. Even a singer like Sam Smith who is a Pop Artist pretended to be non-flamboyant at his early stage of his career. I don't know If I explained myself moo1 You can provide other examples If you know them.

I don't think there's anything wrong with artists not coming out and pretending to be straight if they're not comfortable as long as they didn't bash the community while doing so. 

1 hour ago, Simón. said:

lets not pretend pop singers never said and done something problematic, yet stans are always quick to defend them 

its always easy to just hate on rappers, bro 

Oh definitely. That's why I said Music instead of labeling a whole genre. I mean, every genre has got its own problematics. There are also a lot of progressive rappers in the rap/hip-hop game. I mean I think you know who I'm talking about, I wasn't only trying to point fingers at one specific thing.

6 minutes ago, Gravity said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with artists not coming out and pretending to be straight if they're not comfortable as long as they didn't bash the community while doing so. 

In my opinion, this is based on personality rather than a general view. Honestly If I was in their shoes, I would simply introduce myself just like the way I am since I don't care about popularity. But I'm not judging them of course but I find it a bit problematic because they're trying to say ''you can't be yourself in order to get what you want''. I may be wrong of course.

I don't think the GP is necessarily forgiving, it's just that it was never that big of a deal to them to begin with. Many of them acknowledges artists when they're being problematic but then continue to listen to them anyways. And we as a group (to whom these issues matter the most), just have no real influence or power over these artists because we don't even make up a significant portion of their core listener base (especially if we're talking Rap/Hip-Hop, but even in Pop, we are not the majority).

Most straight people, who actually has some say in 'cancelling' celebrities, simply do not care.. or at least not to the extent many of us do.

I don't see Nicki Minaj saying faggot in a rap over 10 years ago that problematic as a lot of progress has been made in the last ten years and to me it is forgivable.

Same with Katy Perry, in fact she even helped to normalise LGBT and bring it into the mainstream showing it is ok to kiss the same gender. I know some people have issues with the lyrics but I think the song was good for LGBT acceptance. I also personally know a couple of lesbians that were helped by I Kissed A Girl. 

Also Lil Nas X came out while the song was popular and it continued to be popular afterwards. 

Having said all this, there are still major issues with homophobia and transphobia in society but I see it a lot more online with people making nasty comments and also people making comments in real life. I think the situation is worse in other domains than music tbh.

3 hours ago, Moist Mahomie said:

I don't see Nicki Minaj saying faggot in a rap over 10 years ago that problematic as a lot of progress has been made in the last ten years and to me it is forgivable.

Same with Katy Perry, in fact she even helped to normalise LGBT and bring it into the mainstream showing it is ok to kiss the same gender. I know some people have issues with the lyrics but I think the song was good for LGBT acceptance. I also personally know a couple of lesbians that were helped by I Kissed A Girl. 

Also Lil Nas X came out while the song was popular and it continued to be popular afterwards. 

Having said all this, there are still major issues with homophobia and transphobia in society but I see it a lot more online with people making nasty comments and also people making comments in real life. I think the situation is worse in other domains than music tbh.

Interesting points. I agree with what you said about Katy Perry and Lil Nas X though. About Nicki Minaj, I feel more conflicted because she's got a conflicted relationship with her LGBT base and her own image as well. I mean she's supportive of course but there's something that is not clicking with her. I don't know to be honest. I loved the Pink Friday and The Pinkprint albums and the Barbie aesthetic but it's until a certain point

people need to stop being so sensitive.. your morals and what YOU find problematic and/or offensive isnt an ultimatum eve1 obviously, there’s a difference between being a convicted pedophile vs saying “used to be bi now im hetero”... like if you find the latter offensive, cool, thats your point of view and your free to express it, but just because we dont agree with your point of view, it doesnt mean we are “too forgiving”... it just means we all have our OWN perspectives/point of views/morals eve1 I dislike Nicki Minaj because shes a trash, narcissist person, not because I get offended when she calls men sissies eve1 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.