Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Hyun.

Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande | Rain On Me | May 22, 2020

i see a lot of people talking about how basic the song is and criticizing the song structure in a way.

what you guys most likely don't like is the pattern of the chorus. its a technique that helps build the impact of the chorus. each time the chorus repeats a new layer is added.

first time the chorus is sung it is only lady gaga. the second time the chorus is sung it adds arianna. the third time the chorus is sung they add the harmonies, more instrumental, as well as backing vocals. 

this technique is seldom used in pop music because the songs are short and you have to get your point across quick for radio. this is used mostly in theatre musicals and reprises of songs since they are longer or its the second time the audience hears the song.

First listen got me off guard. Reading the meaning of the song, I knew it would be a dear song to me cause I lived through this “ alcohol to numb me” phase... 

Not disappointed at all in the end. Been playing in my head all day and for such an emotional piece for both of them, I just love the “happy” and upbeat tone they gave. It obviously cannot and will not please everyone’s taste but it’s a bold move to come with such sensitive topics and present it to the world that way and it only deserves respect! 
That being said I am so pleased and love the song and I can only be thankful, once again, to Gaga for bringing such an important piece of art out there

4 hours ago, melomelo said:

i see a lot of people talking about how basic the song is and criticizing the song structure in a way.

what you guys most likely don't like is the pattern of the chorus. its a technique that helps build the impact of the chorus. each time the chorus repeats a new layer is added.

first time the chorus is sung it is only lady gaga. the second time the chorus is sung it adds arianna. the third time the chorus is sung they add the harmonies, more instrumental, as well as backing vocals. 

this technique is seldom used in pop music because the songs are short and you have to get your point across quick for radio. this is used mostly in theatre musicals and reprises of songs since they are longer or its the second time the audience hears the song.

That’s exactly what I love about the song, the way the chorus pops off even more as the song gets further. She really delivered juicy1 

Sorry to chime in but the BEST part of the song is the post chorus at around 2:45 "I hear the thunder comin' down, won't you rain on me?" and I have NO idea why she made that the outro?

lmao Ajay's reaction was a mess. I didn't think she was going to like it but damn this video was rough lmao. Her comment section rip4 

Gaga's vocals are pretty smooth on this except for the stylized, deep "RAIN. ON. ME." bit. The fact that she actually said "I like Ari's parts better so far" when she was only so far in that all Ari had even said was "yuh" rip2 

I can understand not liking Gaga's vocals but her vocals here aren't all that different from the rest of her music so I really don't get why Ajay is having such a hard time getting used to them? Like what? rip4 

She's gonna hate Chromatica. She hates anything remotely noisy lately. 

I love Ariana on the song but she gave all the credit for the song, video, editing, etc to Ariana. Like sis tay2

38 minutes ago, CHANEL #1 said:

lmao Ajay's reaction was a mess. I didn't think she was going to like it but damn this video was rough lmao. Her comment section rip4 

Gaga's vocals are pretty smooth on this except for the stylized, deep "RAIN. ON. ME." bit. The fact that she actually said "I like Ari's parts better so far" when she was only so far in that all Ari had even said was "yuh" rip2 

I can understand not liking Gaga's vocals but her vocals here aren't all that different from the rest of her music so I really don't get why Ajay is having such a hard time getting used to them? Like what? rip4 

I love Ariana on the song but she gave all the credit for the song, video, editing, etc to Ariana. Like sis tay2

right? nn you can really tell she doesn't like Gaga but she's a big Ari stan rip4 Chromatica's about to be her nightmare rip4

4 minutes ago, Hyun. said:

right? nn you can really tell she doesn't like Gaga but she's a big Ari stan rip4 Chromatica's about to be her nightmare rip4

When she said "just let Ari do her thing" I nearly threw hands. Bitch it's GAGA's song rip4 

I really don't get how she could stan ARTPOP but not the Chromatica era tracks. Like there's not THAT big of a difference dead2 

19 minutes ago, CHANEL #1 said:

When she said "just let Ari do her thing" I nearly threw hands. Bitch it's GAGA's song rip4 

I really don't get how she could stan ARTPOP but not the Chromatica era tracks. Like there's not THAT big of a difference dead2 

girl, but really? ARTPOP tracks were electronic heavy but they (most) were at least melodic and had crazy good hooks/choruses. I mean...

(and sexxx dreams, aura, applause, gypsy, etc)

sounds nothing like Rain On Me/Stupid Love, which dont even have a chorus dead1 p.s do what u want still slaps gaga1

58 minutes ago, Gilly said:

girl, but really? ARTPOP tracks were electronic heavy but they (most) were at least melodic and had crazy good hooks/choruses. I mean...

sounds nothing like Rain On Me/Stupid Love, which dont even have a chorus dead1 p.s do what u want still slaps gaga1

but her complaint about this song was Gaga's vocals, which if anything, have only gotten better since ARTPOP? nothing to do with the songwriting or production or "lack of chorus" dead1

4 minutes ago, Hyun. said:

but her complaint about this song was Gaga's vocals, which if anything, have only gotten better since ARTPOP? nothing to do with the songwriting or production or "lack of chorus" dead1

but im just explaining to him how artpop and chromatica sound nothing alike, so even if they are electronic heavy, liking one doesnt necessarily mean youll like the other. I dont really care for the review girl, I was just responding to Chanel’s claim 

5 minutes ago, Gilly said:

but im just explaining to him how artpop and chromatica sound nothing alike, so even if they are electronic heavy, liking one doesnt necessarily mean youll like the other. I dont really care for the review girl, I was just responding to Chanel’s claim 

oh pff my bad, then i do agree! they're both electronic inspired but definitely taking different approaches to the writing and structures whit2

12 hours ago, melomelo said:

That’s my favorite part about it. the song keeps getting more interesting. She did a bit of that with I Want Your Love and i always found Applause (at least in performances) to follow a similar build up from chorus to chorus.

It makes the song more enticing and really has the final chorus as the highlight it deserves to be.

I also DIE everytime the song starts with the string part because those like 3 seconds are so Joanne that it feels like an intentional sonic transition. It also throws me back to some of her rock meets electronic tracks off BTW.

9 minutes ago, Joanne said:

That’s my favorite part about it. the song keeps getting more interesting. She did a bit of that with I Want Your Love and i always found Applause (at least in performances) to follow a similar build up from chorus to chorus.

It makes the song more enticing and really has the final chorus as the highlight it deserves to be.

I also DIE everytime the song starts with the string part because those like 3 seconds are so Joanne that it feels like an intentional sonic transition. It also throws me back to some of her rock meets electronic tracks off BTW.

i also love the beginning. it reminds me of janet jackson someone to call my lover and all for you. it follows that 90s dance structure of first verse spoken over the bass line.

the beginning has such a sweet melody and the synth is sun bright yellow. :)

5 hours ago, CHANEL #1 said:

I predicted her hating it, but the review made me so mad nicki5

4 hours ago, Gilly said:

girl what are you talking about, Rain On Me's hook is so catchy gaga7  

I'D RATHER BE BE DRY BUT AT LEAST I'M ALIVE RAIN ON ME, RAIN RAIN 

tumblr_cdf8a90fb0c9955938da2ee17d1e8caf_ 

5 hours ago, Villanelle said:

I work up with it in my head, it's forecast to rain later so please expect a tribute video writhing in the puddles

tenor.gif

That puddle on the floor from your song?

tenor.gif

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.