Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Simón.

iPhone 13 to be portless

The iPhone 12 is supposed to deliver a smaller notch and other design tweaks, but the iPhone 13 could be radically different, according to a new leak. In fact, the 2021 iPhone could be Apple's first totally portless smartphone.

That's right. No more Lightning port. And that would mean no USB-C port either. The iPhone 13 would only charge wirelessly.

"One portless iPhone coming next year," Prosser said. "Eventually, they'll all be portless."

Prosser, who has provided us with quite a few recent iPhone 12, AirPods Studio and Apple Watch 6 leaks, also has insight on Apple's plans for 2021's products. The iPhone 13 is well over a year away, but this suspected change to charging could mark a significant shift in the company's vision. 

A smartphone without ports has been proposed and conceptualized several times, but major manufactures have yet to bring one to life. Apple has clung onto its proprietary Lightning port rather than move on to USB-C for user convenience. 

To make a portless iPhone compelling, Apple would need to deliver wireless charing that's as fast or faster than wired charging. Right now the iPhone 11 can supports only 7.5 watts for wireless charging. But wired charging is 18 watts. 

There's no hint as to when AirPower could come to market, but we're not confident it'll happen this year. While we could hypothetically learn about it at WWDC 2020 next month, it's difficult to believe it'll be ready in time for a fall release alongside the iPhone 12. 

It seems to make the most sense for Apple to unveil AirPower in its final form alongside the a portless iPhone 13, marketing the two as the picture of the cord-free future.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/forget-the-iphone-12-the-iphone-13-will-have-this-radical-redesign

once again apple being superior rih6

5 minutes ago, Honey said:

Thus forcing everyone to get AirPods dead2 I’m not looking forward to not being able to easily charge and be on my phone 

who doesn't have AirPods at this point rip4 

these kind of things always seem absurd when they are announced, but in 5 years we will look back at non-bluetooth headphones and charging cables and be like  "omg how embarro bey11"

3 minutes ago, Kristina said:

I mean.. cute. But it’s going to be harder to use it while it charges though?

Honestly I don't think they'll introduce wireless charging if in the end you need to put your phone on a tiny mat that's still connected to a socket.. that technology has been available for years and Apple hasn't introduced that for a good reason - it's completely pointless bey11

if Apple really goes wireless on charging, they'll definitely have a much better solution demi1 

They're only doing this so it's easier to make water resistant. nicki5

It's a nice gimmick, but i don't really see wireless charging as any better as it has more limitations.

21 hours ago, Simón. said:

who doesn't have AirPods at this point rip4 

I don't, but, I need to get something wireless, because I always bend the wires for my iPod too much. I did get some cheap-ass ones for $3 at my job, and they never even worked. Could not connect to the Blu-tooth, then again, I have no clue how to use Blu-tooth.

20 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I'm still good with the 5 rip2 

Same, despite the fact the battery is shit, and I just finished paying it off.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.