Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

poSLAYtions

#TamaReviews: Blackout

Hello everyone! Welcome back to my series!

Today I'm reviewing Blackout, also often widely agreed by fans & critics alike as the Bible of Pop. Do you want to know why? Do I agree with that statement? Check it out!

Front.png

1. Gimme More

- This song is properly rated. It's a very fine craft. I like the fact that I can sing Donna Summer's Hot Stuff to this beat. The production is immaculate here. However, this is not one of the strongest songs of the album. It's still awesome, but there's a specific hollow feels in it in my opinion brit16. Score: 3 stars out of 5.

2. Piece of Me

- This song is better than the first track. The lyrics, albeit weren't written by Spears herself, truly described her life at that point of her career/fame. The unique production caught me off-guard at first listen, however, it gets so much better. The musicality is astounding! Score: 4 stars out of 5.

3. Radar

- This song is nice, it's very addictive. The chorus melodies give me a little "all eyes on me on the center of the ring just like a circus!" tease. Queen of predicting her upcoming projects! Score: 3 stars out of 5.

4. Break the Ice

- The first truly great song of the album. Don't worry, there will be more antm1. The production is vastly different compared to the first three tracks. This song has more of an urban/R&B production that makes it sound unique. I can actually sing "gimme gimme more! gimme, gimme gimme more!" to the chorus melodies. Score: 5 stars out of 5.

5. Heaven on Earth

- Another great song! I remember the first time I listened to this song I was not impressed at all. I can't remember why I was unimpressed though, maybe it was the lyrics that are too lovey dovey? Anyway, the production is different. Again? I know right, she really curated a very diverse set of songs for this album. I am very impressed now! Score: 5 stars out of 5.

6. Get Naked (I Got a Plan) [feat. A Male Singer or Maybe a Male Rapper That I Still Don't Know]

- Petty Britney & team who didn't put the guy's name on the title. This song is fun, it is sexy too. However, it's far too long. Funny thing, Heaven on Earth is actually longer than this song but you wouldn't know that as you listen to this one. It's still nice brit8. Score: 3 stars out of 5.

7. Freakshow

- I really like this song. The dubstep element is really nice. It's quite creative. I'm thankful that I bounce back from the previous song bey5. Score: 4 stars out of 5.

8. Toy Soldier

- This is a great song. Not only that the lyrics are fun, the melodies, rhythms, and beats are also fun. It's a hilarious combination but it works miraculously. Score: 5 stars out of 5.

9. Hot as Ice

- Yes, another great song! The lyrics are fascinating and her singing here is as quizzical as the previous song. I love whenever she sings creatively like this. Score: 5 stars out of 5.

10. Ooh Ooh Baby

- This one is good. It's lyrically gorgeous, not like a complete poetry or anything but it's just affectionate. I like the picture she paints on my mind through the delivery of every words. I really like it. It's very melodic. However, there's an annoying "baby baby baby baby baby baby babayy!" part that I just wish was never there jj3. Score: 4 stars out of 5.

11. Perfect Lover

- It has cool beats and the rhythmical style of singing is a creative choice. I like it, though I feel that the quality is kind of demo-ish katy1. Overall, it's good. Score: 3 stars out of 5.

12. Why Should I Be Sad

- It's not that I dislike the song; the lyrics are amazing. It's very autobiographical. The production is Pharrell's. I like it personally, but it is uneven. The oddest song of all. Regardless, we finish here! Score: 2 stars out of 5.

My conclusion for this one is that it is a very glossy pop album that features a whole lotta expensive sounding tracks. The lyrics range from sexual seduction to honest word-vomits. Spears only credited as a co-writer on two songs which are Freakshow and Ooh Ooh Baby, but she is listed as an executive producer of this album. Love a curator! However, the term Bible of Pop or Pop Perfection isn't what I would call this album. It's more of a Diary rather than a Bible. A Bible would be like Madge's Like a Prayer or Prince's Purple Rain, rarely listened but once you listen you'll have a long list of arguments about the "true" meaning AND interpretations of every single syllables. This doesn't make the album less of a masterful craft though. It IS a collection of near perfect pop music, but Britney Spears still has a long way to go (that is if she decides to continue her musical career after the dissolve of that ridiculous conservatorship) if she wants to actually make her own Bible of Spears Pop.

So, that's all of it. Remember, it's just me and you don't have to agree with my opinions. You have your own, let's celebrate that love! Don't be too mad, stay listening/streaming to this masterpiece!

Love, Tama.

wub1

Madonna and Prince were very highly involved with their projects, wrote their own songs and were involved in the production, so their songs are gonna be more personal and subtle.

Britney on the other hand rarely writes her own music or get involved in the production process, I believe in Blackout she had no input, whereas in previous eras, she wrote a few songs.  

Both of these methods appeal to me, and they both have pros and cons. I like that artists like Britney and Celine don't get involved in the process because it allows the producer/songwriters to really go for the sound that they intended. For example, if you give Toxic to another artist like Xtina or even Beyonce, they would try to change the demo to make it their own, but the demo is pretty much already perfect, and that's what Britney did, she didn't alter the demo.

That's why for me, Blackout is pure pop perfection, it's just an awesome album full of pop songs that sounded as the original songwriters/producers intended.

____

Other than that comment, I agree with most of your review moo6 All the songs I really like are 5/5 ari5 
The problems with the era were the music videos, the sloppy VMA performance of Gimme more, but it's understandable since back then she was on her road to recovery.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.