Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Philip

Why is Katy such a fucking flop?

Katy did her thing and had her 5 years of dominance in the industry. She truly is the Paula Abdul of her time, and that's zero shade from me. Paula was a force for about the same length of time. They both completely dominated the radio. Everyone knew and casually listened. Number 1 after number 1. The parallels of their career history is somewhat uncanny at surface level.

Katy is quite a flop now sure, but if the release of a song like Daisies told me anything it's that Katy is done trying to play the game to win anymore trophies. She has plenty anyway.

2 hours ago, Seska said:

Gaga cant get a hit single without adding other people to the song (Bradley, Ariana, BLACKPINK). You Gaga fans are so brave acting like Gaga is a legend like Madonna or Mariah Carey. She will never reach their career heights. Beyonce and Rihanna will be honorable legends. 

Is this really relevant to this conversation? Can you read?

3 hours ago, harry said:

Katy did her thing and had her 5 years of dominance in the industry. She truly is the Paula Abdul of her time, and that's zero shade from me. Paula was a force for about the same length of time. They both completely dominated the radio. Everyone knew and casually listened. Number 1 after number 1. The parallels of their career history is somewhat uncanny at surface level.

Katy is quite a flop now sure, but if the release of a song like Daisies told me anything it's that Katy is done trying to play the game to win anymore trophies. She has plenty anyway.

this is really spot on clap3 

6 hours ago, Moira O'Hara said:

The singles she released were random, and Daisies wasn't even promoted that much. Katy Perry doesn't really care about chart success anymore, she's really about the art and not the charts. Her personal life is more important right now than her career.

jj2

lol3 lol3 lol3

4 hours ago, harry said:

The idea of Katy Perry being as remembered as Paula Abdul (that is to say, not very much) in 5-10 years' time is actually kind of scary katy4

4 hours ago, harry said:

Points were made here tbh

But also, I think a big part of it, is just how much music had actually changed last decade. Her (Gaga's and Taylor's to an extent too) style of writing hits is very classic pop girl.

Ever since around 2013 that had been shifting, and by 2016 the moody, slower, hip hop tinged music became THE norm. The reason why Rihanna was able to stay as successful as she was out of her peers, was because she was able to capture that very fucking well with Anti, all while putting her own spin to it and making a whole album.

Witness had potential to be something different, but the era didn't know what it actually wanted to be. If it was meant to be a serious artistic statement, it doesn't explain why we got Bon Appetit and especially Swish Swish as singles. The way she acted and presented herself also felt... not really any different, making it even harder to take her seriously.

I feel if she stuck to her strengths, as she's doing now with NRO (fun, pure pop) and Daisies (acoustic singer-songwriter ballads) and evolved them accordingly instead of going for the somewhat half-assed reinvention she did for Witness, she'd probably be in a better place now.

Honestly, I feel like if NRO/Daises happened in 2017, those songs would've done great!

Its sad to see Katy flop, I love her so much Teenage dream, Prism, One of the Boys are such great albums and they came out when I was living the time of my life, I relate her music with good memories...

I think her Witness era was a mess, her interviews, her childish ways to shade others, IDK even her haircut was a curse ....

I do hope she finds the right formula or the right way to gain some popularity .... 

anywyas i do love her and I'll support her no matter what 

On 5/28/2020 at 6:37 PM, harry said:

They even have the American Idol connection ari7

I used to think Katy was kinda like this generation’s Cyndi Lauper if she was going to be compared to anyone from the past, but I think her peak lasted longer than Cyndi’s. Her career trajectory is more similar to Paula Abdul

At least like Ms. Abdul she still has a profitable TV career and is making coins clap3

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.