Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Ariana

The superior pop album: Chromatica or Future Nostalgia?

The superior pop album  

64 members have voted

1. 1. The superior pop album

1 minute ago, harry said:

I used the fuck out of FN for about 3 weeks and it really defined a specific weird-ass time for me as my state and country completelt shut down a week before it's release, so I think it's unique for me in that respect. Didn't have much to do so I listened to it. A lot. That being said I haven't listened to it in about a month. brit15

I'm far too old and crusty to think I can develop a sound opinion of an album I've heard 2 times and since yesterday, so Styrofoamatica is going to have to wait a minute to hear It's fate. brit16

when will they open up flicks and richs thobrit16

Just now, Gilly said:

when will they open up flicks and richs thobrit16

Girl I know! If I can't go shake these extra 8 lbs in my ass from this Quarantine to Sour Candy I'm going to have a meltdown. And you know those fags at Rich's are going to do actual rain for Rain On Me. ari7

This feels a bit premature, given I want to give Chromatica time to sit and potentially grow on me.

But imo, Future Nostalgia is just executed so well, where nothing feels particularly lacking besides like... Boys Will Be Boys. It comes with a set vision and attains that to it's fullest.

Chromatica on the other hand had way too big shoes to fill, and even when lowering standards it's clear that the album needed more time to really have every moment shine and be excellent. The majority of the songs being under 3 minutes didn't help any of the songs breathe. Add the fact that for the most part, the genre and sound doesn't change makes for a cohesive, but underwhelming experience.

Glad Little Monsters can enjoy it, and it makes me excited to see what Gaga will do next time if she decides to experiment sonically like she did before.

i hope the gerls pointing out how they stopped listening to Future Nostalgia soon after it was released AND prefer Chromatica over it are indeed aware Chromatica is literally 3 days old ohno1

10 minutes ago, Gabe. said:

i hope the gerls pointing out how they stopped listening to Future Nostalgia soon after it was released AND prefer Chromatica over it are indeed aware Chromatica is literally 3 days old ohno1

it's actually 1 day brit8

I literally had no urge to listen to FN again after two listens ohno1 Which is sad because I really love her debut. The only song I liked was Boys Will Be Boys.

I've only listened to Chromatica in full once but there are already more songs on that I'd at least want to listen to again so I guess i'll go with that.

so i finally listened to future nostalgia. and its a bop pantheon. however, its a bunch of tracks that play off tropes that i feel i have heard before and that have been done better than anything in her album.

for example physical is my favorite song, but it borrows the catchiest part from olivia newton johns lets get physical. the production is super generic- but super catchy. and her deadpan vocal delivery is not appealing to me. i cant stand her monotone delivery. she needs to infuse more charisma into her vocals. its like a less better version of britney spears. examples: dont start now, physical, pretty please, love again, boys will be boys. the tracks that have stood out to me were: future nostalgia, cool, hallucinate, good in bed because she has more bounce in her voice, more inflections, charisma. 

idk if she does this cause the songs will be easier to sing live, but gaga's vocal delivery in chromatica is so much better. her voice reflects the music and emotion. 

production on both albums is amazing: it should be they both had so many producers.

to me chromatica has better production cause its doesnt play so much to references except in a couple tracks like: babylon (shep pettibone), sine from above (swedish house mafia- which is selfservice on behalf of axwell), replay is one i cant put my finger on but i know i have heard songs that sound very similar to the beginning of this song. 

in future nostalgia almost all the songs are clearly references to other tracks: break my heart (samples inxs need you tonight- one of my fav songs of all time), physical (also samples olivia newton johns lets get physical line), love again (samples white town your woman), you can literally find an all-too-in-your-nose reference in many of the songs. and i personally dont like that. especially when it isnt well done. but this isnt the criticism for me. its that things when referenced or sampled need to take the sample to another level and she doesnt do that. 

examples of artists taking sample or references and elevating them are: madonna sampling ABBA in hung up and killing it. rihanna sampling michael jackson in dont stop the music, fantastic song. and gaga sampling bonny m in poker face- incredible. or taking zombie rocket #9 cover and sampling it as a pre-chrous into an extraordinary chorus was fucking amazing. 

dua's tracks are hardier and they seem more substantive compared to gagas, but idk the album eventually starts blending to me. and i think its because of her vocal delivery. it gets boring quick. luckily she does have songs that break the flow like future nostalgia (great starter), cool, hallucinate. chromatica on the other hand never sounds like one long song. i can play the album from start to finish and still feel interested. thats why i voted for chromatica. 

ok im done with my #noonecares critique :)

after a week they're kind of tied ohno1 

both huge highs -- physical, rain on me, break my heart, 911

both have mindless bops -- hallucinate, sour candy, dont start now, babylon

both have songs no one cares about: good in bed, free woman

and both have atrocities: boys will be boys, stupid love

ohno1 

9 hours ago, melomelo said:

so i finally listened to future nostalgia. and its a bop pantheon. however, its a bunch of tracks that play off tropes that i feel i have heard before and that have been done better than anything in her album.

for example physical is my favorite song, but it borrows the catchiest part from olivia newton johns lets get physical. the production is super generic- but super catchy. and her deadpan vocal delivery is not appealing to me. i cant stand her monotone delivery. she needs to infuse more charisma into her vocals. its like a less better version of britney spears. examples: dont start now, physical, pretty please, love again, boys will be boys. the tracks that have stood out to me were: future nostalgia, cool, hallucinate, good in bed because she has more bounce in her voice, more inflections, charisma. 

idk if she does this cause the songs will be easier to ling live, but gaga's vocal delivery in chromatica is so much better. her voice reflects the music and emotion. 

production on both albums is amazing: it should be they both had so many producers.

to me chromatica has better production cause its doesnt play so much to references except in a couple tracks like: babylon (shep pettibone), sine from above (swedish house mafia- which is selfservice on behalf of axwell), replay is one i cant put my finger on but i know i have heard songs that sound very similar to the beginning of this song. 

in future nostalgia almost all the songs are clearly references to other tracks: break my heart (samples inxs need you tonight- one of my fav songs of all time), physical (also samples olivia newton johns lets get physical line), love again (samples white town your woman), you can literally find an all-too-in-your-nose reference in many of the songs. and i personally dont like that. especially when it isnt well done. but this isnt the criticism for me. its that things when referenced or sampled need to take the sample to another level and she doesnt do that. 

examples of artists taking sample or references and elevating them are: madonna sampling ABBA in hung up and killing it. rihanna sampling michael jackson in dont stop the music, fantastic song. and gaga sampling bonny m in poker face- incredible. or taking zombie rocket #9 cover and sampling it as a pre-chrous into an extraordinary chorus was fucking amazing. 

dua's tracks are hardier and they seem more substantive compared to gagas, but idk the album eventually starts blending to me. and i think its because of her vocal delivery. it gets boring quick. luckily she does have songs that break the flow like future nostalgia (great starter), cool, hallucinate. chromatica on the other hand never sounds like one long song. i can play the album from start to finish and still feel interested. thats why i voted for chromatica. 

ok im done with me #noonecares critique :)

The way you‘ve written this long-ass essay only to show us what we‘ve already known before: 

You‘re too fucking delusional to even write a somewhat objective review. Hilarious!

22 minutes ago, Madonna said:

The way you‘ve written this long-ass essay only to show us what we‘ve already known before: 

You‘re too fucking delusional to even write a somewhat objective review. Hilarious!

cool go have a meltdown about it. :)

10 hours ago, melomelo said:

and her deadpan vocal delivery is not appealing to me. i cant stand her monotone delivery. she needs to infuse more charisma into her vocals. its like a less better version of britney spears. 

is this what repeatedly listening to Chromatica does to one's ears because sis brit1

21 minutes ago, Gabe. said:

is this what repeatedly listening to Chromatica does to one's ears because sis brit1

Apparently so. dead2 Britney could never make an album like FN.

I‘m glad the majority of the forum agrees that FN is better than Chromatica though. Taste jumped out!

10 hours ago, Gabe. said:

youre going to tell me you think dua lipa has shown growth as a singer? everything from last dance to new rules to over 50% of this album is sung in that low monotone voice. i dont get the appeal. name one vocal performance on fn that is as good or better than alice, enigma, sine from above. curious to get your opinion is all. not trying to argue.

i will take back that physical is as monotone though. its a a bop, and she doesnt sound as monotone in the chorus as i initially thought. listened to the album 3 more times.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.