Dennis Reynolds

How often should artists release albums (or at least new music)?

louie louie  

15 members have voted

1. 1. fuck

• More than once a year
    • Once a year
    • Every other year
    • Every 3-5 years
    • More than 5 years

I've seen a lot of exasperation from fanbases on this regarding how often their favorite artists release albums (or music in general, maybe individual songs) and sometimes I'm a little surprised when it's only been a few years since their last major release, which doesn't seem like that big of a gap to me. If they don't put out any music at all, I could see the complaint, but how often do you believe artists should put out albums, or at least something to tide their fans over? At what point do you start losing patience?

7 minutes ago, Gilly said:

1-2 years. Take a 3-4 year break and you'll end up like Katy Perry. There's no reason why eras should be dragged out for more than a couple of months-1 year in the streaming era.

The fact this was the standard for Xtina, but now it seems like she takes even longer dead2 

Artists have to keep releasing stuff to stay in the public eye, but it’s a tough balance cause they are required to promote any album for one year, then be inspired to create something new afterwards.

If the era isn’t successful, the label holds back funds for the next era and it gets harder to get talented writers and producers.

Then the label hates their new work and makes them go back into the studio and re-do it which takes another year.

The artist gets pissed and the label keeps the new tracks and dumps them.

They then set-up a justforfans account.

Every 2 years is my answerbrit16 

4 minutes ago, ajp said:

Artist have to keep releasing stuff to stay in the public eye, but it’s a tough balance cause they are required to promote any album for one year, then be inspired to create something new afterwards.

If the era isn’t successful, the label holds back funds for the next era and it gets harder to get talented writers and producers.

Then the label hates their new work and makes them go back into the studio and re-do it which takes another year.

The artist gets pissed and the label keeps the new tracks and dumps them.

They then set-up a justforfans account.

Every 2 years is my answerbrit16 

Yeah, I don't know, I do feel like there's more impatience now than there used to be. Once a year seems iffy to me because if they start there career in their early twenties and still do stuff in their forties or fifties, are there really many pop artists who have like 25 albums?

9 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Yeah, I don't know, I do feel like there's more impatience now than there used to be. Once a year seems iffy to me because if they start there career in their early twenties and still do stuff in their forties or fifties, are there really many pop artists who have like 25 albums?

Sadly, most girlies don’t make it past album 4. I think Celine is up to #27 but she’s lucky she rotates language albums...then there is Kylie kylie6

From my 1-2 true faves, I'd like to hear new music as much as possible without it being bad jodie1

I think it's ridiculous for an active artist to release no new music in any way for more than a year.

The answer is: it depends. Depends on the type of artist you are, depends on the type of success you want and it depends on the time period. 

Back in peak digital age ie 2010/11, the answer was every 1-3 years, with the standard being around 2. 2 years between most Taylor Swift albums, 2 years from TFM to BTW to AP. 2 years from OOTB to TD and then TD:TCC. 2 from Funhouse to GHSF to TTAL and so on and so forth. some artists (Rihanna) did 1, which was also very good success wise but did kill the longevity of album releases. some artists did 3, which would help first week but sometimes the hype wasn't worth it. Anything past that was a concern unless you were an Adele type of artist. 

Nowadays though. The streaming era has changed things. You don't release singles post-album now, and that changes things. The standard now is I would say every year to 18 months, with some artists releasing multiple times in one year, and the longest you can really stretch now is 2 years. Little Mix stretched Glory Days 2016 to LM5 2018 and going from their biggest album, even with a reissue in between, to their smallest is a bit of a testament. The GP doesn't have the patience anymore; you can hear all the songs automatically and you have a much larger catalogue to listen to on streaming platforms. Combine that with the fact that albums aren't even as much of an event anymore bcoz of the impact of playlists, it says a lot. Still depends on your audience and the genre of music you release, but it's a completely different ballgame now. Re-releases used to be an important event releasing 1-2 years after the original, but now suddenly a "re-release" is a deluxe edition 1 month after release. It's just a completely different game now and the artists have to adapt to it. 

I don't feel like there's a right answer to this, honestly. 

As long as it takes for the artist to feel like he/she finished their product - I'm fine with. Some of my fave artists are total recluses who take 5 years to come up with a body of work and I have other faves that can release up to 3 albums a year and I enjoy that too. Not all artists have the same work ethic.

But if you're asking about mainstream Pop stars and how their release schedule can affect their commercial momentum then yeah, I'd say 2-3 years is the default answer in that regard.

For me, I adore how Ariana is more fast paced with her releases cause that way they feel very relevant to current times but I also appreciate artists that take time to work on an album statement and pre-plan their era. So it's a mixture.

1 hour ago, Habits said:

The fact this was the standard for Xtina, but now it seems like she takes even longer dead2 

and you can see how it affected her dead2 im surprised she was able to stay relevant for so long rip2 

but commercial strategy aside, i dont think i could stan someone who would release an album every 4 years (unless if their catalog is THAT strong and juicy brit16)... like, imagine how much you change as a person in that amount of time (including your music taste)... it's so easy to outgrow an artist from one release to another. If they release quicker, you grow with them and then if they release any duds along the way, you're able to keep stanning because you know something else is coming up soon. Imagine waiting 4 years for an album you dont like and then having to wait ANOTHER 4 years.. chile rip3

I think it really depends on the artist. I mean Adele released 25 back in 2015, and the industry in completely different. With her new album set to release her new album this year I'm interested to see how it performs. I mean I have no doubts it's going be a monster. 

It's just interesting how certain artists can afford to take long breaks while others need to be constantly churning out music. It will be interesting to see how Rihanna does once she finally decides to put something out.