Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

WarrenThanksYouAll

Unarmed Palestinian man shot dead by police in Jerusalem

Jerusalem (CNN) An unarmed Palestinian man has been shot and killed by police at one of the entrances to Jerusalem's Old City on Saturday. Israeli police said officers believed the man had a gun and opened fire on him when he refused to stop for them.

They told CNN he had autism, and the mental age of a six-year-old child, and that he was on his way to his special educational needs school when the fatal incident took place.

For full article: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/30/middleeast/unarmed-palestinian-killed-jerusalem-intl/index.html

Tdlr: an unarmed Palestinian man with special needs has been shot unarmed by Israeli police for "suspicion" of him being dangerous. Protests are happening, but all in vain as the officers who shot the innocent man will most likely get away with it.

For an interesting read: https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/the-knee-on-neck-long-a-staple-of-israel-s-occupation-of-palestine-36787

Black lives matter. Palestinian lives matter. It's also important that we shed a little light on what's happening in Palestine when the public sphere is currently passionately discussing police brutality. As Palestinians don't have a voice that can directly influence Western media/conversation.

that's obviously horrible, but why are you always trying to play oppression olympics? You did not have to bring in the black lives matter movement in order to bring awareness to this issue. 

22 minutes ago, Gilly said:

that's obviously horrible, but why are you always trying to play oppression olympics? You did not have to bring in the black lives matter movement in order to bring awareness to this issue. 

Stop reading into it. Both incidents are horrible and I don't think it's immoral of me to suggest that now, in the heat of police brutality discussion in Western media when everyone's paying attention, that it would be helpful to shed light on the same problems that are happening in Palestine that are directly being influenced by American politics and their involvement in the conflict. No one is taking away anything from anyone, no one is saying we shouldn't focus on Floyd's case, I'm just saying, hey, let's also talk about this. So stop tone policing me all the time.

5 hours ago, Jjang said:

Stop reading into it. Both accidents are horrible and I don't think it's immoral of me to suggest that now, in the heat of police brutality discussion in Western media when everyone's paying attention, that it would be helpful to shed light on the same problems that are happening in Palestine that are directly being influenced by American politics and their involvement in the conflict. No one is taking away anything from anyone, no one is saying we shouldn't focus on Floyd's case, I'm just saying, hey, let's also talk about this. So stop tone policing me all the time.

I agree that both issue issues matter and need to be heard, but that wasn't my point. The way you worded the OP and this post is very "all lives matter". Yes, all lives do matter, and there's many groups of people that are oppressed, but the black lives matter movement is a very specific movement about systematic racism towards black people, so it shouldnt be used as a way to bring up other issues.  And I say this as a Latino living in America.

Terrible. I sent this to my ex earlier, he’s Israeli and we discuss these issues all the time. It’s really a shame that this is going on in the world. Police need to be held more accountable. I’m constantly disappointed that they re-elected Netanyahu after 3 fucking elections. I’m constantly disappointed that the issues of other people of color in the Middle East / Europe get overlooked. 

I find it nearly impossible to support Israel, as the western perspective often does, when their treatment of the Palestinian people continues to be absolutely deplorable. It is a full-on humanitarian crisis and the western world, by and large, does nothing but support it.

9 hours ago, Gilly said:

I agree that both issue issues matter and need to be heard, but that wasn't my point. The way you worded the OP and this post is very "all lives matter". Yes, all lives do matter, and there's many groups of people that are oppressed, but the black lives matter movement is a very specific movement about systematic racism towards black people, so it shouldnt be used as a way to bring up other issues.  And I say this as a Latino living in America.

What? I wrote "Black lives matter. Palestinians lives matter" explicitly and not all lives matter for a reason. Because they are separate movements. These are both issues of systematic oppression that we need to urgently address and like I said I'm not advocating to talk less about any minority group's struggles, I'm inviting people to additionally bring light to Palestinian issues (even if it's something as small as re-posting something on your story) at these times when everyone's paying attention and is talking about human rights. It would be helpful as the Palestinian citizens don't have a voice that is heard and this is one of the few chances where this can be somewhat strongly echoed in the media/western conversation because it's a topic everyone's invested in right now.

By the way, they might not share the same history of oppression. But they are both, in one way or another directly impacted by white power. That's why it's important to shed light on the issue as well. America sends billions of dollars annually to Israel in military aid that goes 100% in support of these kind of acts, and Trump's 'peace plan' proposal is basically calling out to legalize illegal settlements in Palestinians territories and completely systematically eradicate all Palestinian power/history from sight. American politics and their contributions to the conflict are directly influencing the lives of these people.

It's a Palestinian man so it's not trendy enough to capture global attention oprah11 The sad truth. I live in Belgium and everyone here is talking about the American protests but this will never make the news here, let alone have people talking. It makes me somewhat happy that black people have finally started to occupy a respectable enough position in Western culture to be talked about with concern (probably by choosing Middle Eastern men and women as the new cultural other numero uno) but this unequal attention still shows it's not really about the issue and more about how "mainstream" it is to talk about these issues, post about them on social media,... aka how "cool" it is to show empathy for these cases kylie3 And concern for the Palestinian territories is still universally cast as a far left thing that's not worth anyone's time (except of course the mandatory "that conflict is so stuck, it will probably never end" which is... a disgrace against humanity to even think let alone say out loud).

It aggravates me because unlike the violence against blacks in the US which is 100% beyond our control (I'm talking about Europeans here), the Israel/Palestine conflicts are actually a thing we can help eradicate, by pressuring our politicians to hold Israel accountable for its widely documented war crimes and blatant, repeated breaking of international law rih14

1 hour ago, Earth Ripper said:

It's a Palestinian man so it's not trendy enough to capture global attention oprah11 The sad truth. 

that's just how it is. people only care about the US's and Europe's problems. last year Chile had immense ammounts of police brutality and human-right violations in its protest and riots, the goverment set a curfew and released the militia on the streets to supress the (peaceful) protests and nobody really talked about it. shrug1  there were murders and kidnappings done by the police to the people.
it doesn't mean we should compare things though, the fact american media and its people turn a blind eye to some stuff doesn't mean BLM shouldn't have the force that its picked up recently and shouldn't be heard the way it's being heard, but i share that thought about how people in my country will suddenly be the most anti-racist person ever and share everything about the BLM protest and all of that but when a black person or a poc gets abused here they're on MUTE. it makes no sense luv 

Nobody is ignoring this.....black people are killed all the time in America, that's why it's finally getting A LOT more attention and people are protesting now. i find it a bit disgusting that some of you in this thread are criticizing people in America paying attention to what's happening in America... awk1

18 minutes ago, pang said:

Nobody is ignoring this. 

Seriously triggered. katy6Don't say this. Ever. If no one is ignoring it then explain the 70 years of consistent oppression that is currently becoming even more severe? If no one is ignoring it then I'd imagine the situation would be halted instead of growing progressively worse literally every day?

30 minutes ago, pang said:

black people are killed all the time in America, that's why it's finally getting A LOT more attention and people are protesting now. i find it a bit disgusting that some of you in this thread are criticizing people in America paying attention to what's happening in America..

Again - no one wants to take anything away from anyone. No one is telling you to focus on one issue at the expense of the other. I'm ecstatically happy that the world is raising its voice against police brutality and racism against the black community in the US period. I'm just saying, that this is also a great opportunity to shed some light (and to quote myself, I wrote "shed a little light") on what's happening to the Palestinians that is also directly influenced by American politics because more people are paying attention now and the more they know the better. It's literally that simple but you guys seem more concerned with tone policing others it seems.

20 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Again - no one wants to take anything away from anyone. No one is telling you to focus on one issue at the expense of the other. I'm ecstatically happy that the world is raising its voice against police brutality and racism against the black community in the US period. I'm just saying, that this is also a great opportunity to shed some light (and to quote myself, I wrote "shed a little light") on what's happening to the Palestinians that is also directly influenced by American politics because more people are paying attention now and the more they know the better. It's literally that simple but you guys seem more concerned with tone policing others it seems.

who is "you guys" ma'am? awk1

but my comment was directed at another user, i should've quoted them. sorry.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.