Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Divine

Minneapolis City Council members announce their intent to disband the police department

first let me SEE it done, then i'll praise them!

1 minute ago, Snow said:

Okay, so that's great news but I'm perched to see how this would actually work out. Can this even be done without much repercussions? brit16

yes

41 minutes ago, Snow said:

Okay, so that's great news but I'm perched to see how this would actually work out. Can this even be done without much repercussions? brit16

similar sentiments. This would have to take awhile for a decent transference. The police institution is garbage, but there has to be a proper reform for public protection & whatnot. It's gotta be really tight.

2 hours ago, Snow said:

1 hour ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

similar sentiments. This would have to take awhile for a decent transference. The police institution is garbage, but there has to be a proper reform for public protection & whatnot. It's gotta be really tight.

It seems most likely they'd follow a disband and replace model a la Camden, NJ. Imperfect in its own ways of course, but a significant improvement because of the philosophy that was its foundation.

20 hours ago, Onika said:

It seems most likely they'd follow a disband and replace model a la Camden, NJ. Imperfect in its own ways of course, but a significant improvement because of the philosophy that was its foundation.

It will be interesting to see how that works out considering Camden is rather small compared to Minneapolis. 

15 hours ago, Princess Aurora said:

That's very interesting to know rav2 Will it end up like in New Jersey ? 

It's hard to tell. Minneapolis is in a fortunate position that they're able to look on Camden's transition process and see what worked and what didn't. There are a couple of places elsewhere in the world that have been phasing out organized police departments so I'd hope they'll look on those as well for pointers. It's not going to be a quick process I don't think. I'd imagine it's going to happen slowly and in segments and won't even begin until there's a concrete plan for what's going to happen once it's done. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Mendes said:

It's hard to tell. Minneapolis is in a fortunate position that they're able to look on Camden's transition process and see what worked and what didn't. There are a couple of places elsewhere in the world that have been phasing out organized police departments so I'd hope they'll look on those as well for pointers. It's not going to be a quick process I don't think. I'd imagine it's going to happen slowly and in segments and won't even begin until there's a concrete plan for what's going to happen once it's done. 

True. I hope the outcome will be successful since the president said last night he won't support a nationwide reform/defunding of the Police. Anyway I remember Camden was bad years ago since my cousins used to tell me about it. It looks like it got better now. I really hope that this transition will stop these uselesses massacres.

18 hours ago, Simón. said:

It will be interesting to see how that works out considering Camden is rather small compared to Minneapolis. 

I'm sure there will be differences in the approach, I just meant the fundamental philosophy is something I'd imagine they're looking to for inspiration. It will be interesting to see for sure, I hope they're able to make these necessary changes.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.