Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Kristina

Has Britney surpassed Madonna?

Britney garners in more monthly listeners on Spotify and songs/videos (pre-VEVO/YouTube) like BOMT, Toxic and Womanizer have more views than any Madonna song/video. Madonna’s legacy has either been swept under the rug and/or didn’t really stand the test of time.

No other female artist since Britney’s debut had the explosion, universal appeal, long-term worldwide effect and controversy on not only music but pop culture the way she did, so that leaves me thinking - is she the greatest female pop star of all time?

4i66yG3.gif

I don't know. I feel like Madonna has been in this industry since forever and she just started "flopping" after Confessions On The Dancefloor, which is pretty recent if you take into consideration that this woman has been prominent in the music industry since the 80's. Her tours still do good and people who are into music know who she is. She's also shown visual versatility and has given us different concepts for her music, which is always appreciated.

Britney had the commercial success and her impact in the 90's is undeniable, but I feel like her music has been quite linear and when she drops an album you don't expect it to be anything innovative: some classicaly formulated BOPS with a clear intention to be used as singles and the rest are fillers that might be good or bad. Her most exciting album was Blackout, but after that she went back to the same formula.

aura1

11 hours ago, Kristina said:

Britney garners in more monthly listeners on Spotify and songs/videos (pre-VEVO/YouTube) like BOMT, Toxic and Womanizer have more views than any Madonna song/video. Madonna’s legacy has either been swept under the rug and/or didn’t really stand the test of time.

No other female artist since Britney’s debut had the explosion, universal appeal, long-term worldwide effect and controversy on not only music but pop culture the way she did, so that leaves me thinking - is she the greatest female pop star of all time?

4i66yG3.gif

Sis Gaga literally was a phenomenon when she first debuted. Kesha was also an event. Even Carly Rae Jepsen had her short phenomenal career peak. We love Britney and she might as well be the Queen of Pop for the last two decades, but compared to Madonna she's still the Princess because Madge is the undisputed Queen of Pop....unless Donna Summer and Whitney Houston decided to possess Dua Lipa and crowned her as the new Queen.

Miss @Kristina WISHES it were that way so she could "officially" refer to Shitney as the "Queen of Pop". A title she never had and never will posses. 

Britney never had an ounce of Madonna's artistic integrity. She didn't push any boundaries, she was just simply a conventional pop star that served bops.

You need to let it go, Kristina. Britney is basically retired. There's no comeback for her.

4i66yG3.gif

3 hours ago, Tama said:

Sis Gaga literally was a phenomenon when she first debuted. Kesha was also an event. Even Carly Rae Jepsen had her short phenomenal career peak. We love Britney and she might as well be the Queen of Pop for the last two decades, but compared to Madonna she's still the Princess because Madge is the undisputed Queen of Pop....unless Donna Summer and Whitney Houston decided to possess Dua Lipa and crowned her as the new Queen.

Don’t compare Kesha and Carly to Britney, that’s just embarrassing. Their peaks weren’t even close to Britney’s.

4i66yG3.gif

3 hours ago, Madonna said:

Miss @Kristina WISHES it were that way so she could "officially" refer to Shitney as the "Queen of Pop". A title she never had and never will posses. 

Britney never had an ounce of Madonna's artistic integrity. She didn't push any boundaries, she was just simply a conventional pop star that served bops.

You need to let it go, Kristina. Britney is basically retired. There's no comeback for her.

4i66yG3.gif

I’m not denying her legacy, but it didn’t stand the test of time like Britney’s.

4i66yG3.gif

4 minutes ago, Kristina said:

I’m not denying her legacy, but it didn’t stand the test of time like Britney’s.

4i66yG3.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_impact_of_Madonna

Aside from the numerous hits that are older than Britney's career.

Vogue, Like a Prayer, Express Yourself, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, La Isla Bonita, Hung Up are all remembered classics that are still culturally relevant. 

Britney has exactly two songs, Baby on More Time and Toxic, that people remember/encounter because of TikTok and they are not even old enough for us to determine whether they've stood the test of time.

4i66yG3.gif

18 minutes ago, Kristina said:

Don’t compare Kesha and Carly to Britney, that’s just embarrassing. Their peaks weren’t even close to Britney’s.

4i66yG3.gif

I was not comparing their peaks to Britney's. I was talking about their debut which had quite big impact on pop scene. Unlike Britney, yes, but who else could experience Britney level of success except for Taylor and Adele now? Literally every pop girls are selling so low compared to how it used to be.

17 minutes ago, Madonna said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_impact_of_Madonna

Aside from the numerous hits that are older than Britney's career.

Vogue, Like a Prayer, Express Yourself, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, La Isla Bonita, Hung Up are all remembered classics that are still culturally relevant. 

Britney has exactly two songs, Baby on More Time and Toxic, that people remember/encounter because of TikTok and they are not even old enough for us to determine whether they've stood the test of time.

4i66yG3.gif

The delusion in this post

4i66yG3.gif

8 minutes ago, Tama said:

I was not comparing their peaks to Britney's. I was talking about their debut which had quite big impact on pop scene. Unlike Britney, yes, but who else could experience Britney level of success except for Taylor and Adele now? Literally every pop girls are selling so low compared to how it used to be.

The impact they had doesn’t come close to Britney’s debut. Are you actually serious? rip2

36 minutes ago, Kristina said:

4i66yG3.gif

I know you will take me writing an "essay" about how prominent Madonna's influence and impact still is as a "win" to you, so I'll just leave those here and "win" this argument very superficially. 

Taylor Swift talking about what inspired 1989

Ariana, about God is a Woman

Gaga: 

eve1

Also in 2011 (talking about Born This Way) - "I was thinking about Madonna while writing." 

Katy Perry

5eb1aae15f726e7f73683f7f?width=600&forma

Beyonce (2013 - talking about Self Titled project) - "I wanted to follow the footsteps of Madonna". 

Camilla 

GettyImages-930635390.jpg

Kanye West: Madonna Is “Greatest Visual Musical Artist” of All Time

Adele "The main inspiration behind the record came from her motherhood, as well as singer-songwriter Madonna's 1998 studio album, Ray of Light, and its song "Frozen"

Dua Lipa "stated that the album was inspired by artists including Madonna, Gwen Stefani, Moloko, Blondie and Outkast."

Lizzo 

Lizzo-Performance-2019-BET-Awards-Video.

And lets not forget, Britney! 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.