Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

WarrenThanksYouAll

Chromatica failed to top MDNA's first week sales

10 minutes ago, melomelo said:

No beb. i already stated that comparing ANY of their album sales or anything is stupid because their careers differ by TWO DECADES. That makes comparing their sales pointless because you have to adjust for inflation and for things like piracy and streaming. Also standards and units have changed.

Madonna comes from an era where there was no streaming and hardly any piracy. Hell there was probably none from 80s to early 2000s. Gaga debuted in the thick of piracy. Right when albums were going out. Not to mention streaming started to pick up years later.

Its so dumb to compare their sales figures now. You can to gloat and make fun of one or the other. But lets just be transparent is all. 

H38FPTM.gif

He's not comparing Joanne to ROL or something omg come on jj1 We all know we're in a different period. 2012 isn't that far ago. The fact of that matter was that MDNA broke a record for all-time biggest pre-orders and was her highest debut week since 2000. But none of that mattered according to the LMs because she "frauded" her way through that era with tour bundles rav1 How can we not compare those situations without analyzing the actual sales?

13 minutes ago, harry said:

But.... I'm ... not doubting Madonna's global sales prowess in 2012. It doesn't bother me. I was here for it. katy1

I was only responding to a specific reply with a general observation about specific comparisons vs career comparisons. katy1

"before you fake taking the high road" dead4 If I can't be labeled I must be a fake. gaga1

I have no problem with what you said. It’s just a weird escalation saying I have personal probs—> trying to unrelatedly drag my ban on another site to this thread —> agreeing with me on a statement so obvious it didn’t need to be agreed upon.  

3 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

He's not comparing Joanne to ROL or something omg come on jj1 We all know we're in a different period. 2012 isn't that far ago. The fact of that matter was that MDNA broke a record for all-time biggest pre-orders and was her highest debut week since 2000. But none of that mattered according to the LMs because she "frauded" her way through that era because of tour bundles rav1 How can we not compare those situations without analyzing the actual sales?

$250 tour tickets are fraudulent but dildos that say Kindness Punks on them is peak show biz and artistry 

8 minutes ago, Jjang said:

I have no problem with what you said. It’s just a weird escalation saying I have personal albums —> trying to unrelatedly drag my ban on another site to this thread —> agreeing with me on a statement so obvious it didn’t need to be agreed upon.  

katy1 ok hun

24 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

Being a visionaire who changed the game on every single level (music, music videos, performances, branding, being a businesswoman,...) and upped the standards for literally every pop star who followed in her footsteps

H38FPTM.gif

Sure, she's praised for her vocals but only until Adele releases some random vocal warm-up and people remember she's completely average again eve1

Literally no one credits her for innovating music videos, this isn't 2009 anymore. Same for being a songwriter, lol. Ever since she debuted it's been a joke among critics that the least exciting thing about Gaga as an act is in fact her music (which is 100% accurate, and reflected in the GP's appraisal of her marketing tactics yet not her actual releases) mad8 The Oscar was cute but when you combine everything I already said with that win it really makes her more of a public figure or a standard white celeb rather than a music artist people actually care about brit12 That will translate into a "legacy" how?

Madonna definitely modified the blueprint that many female artists have followed. However, she definitely did not innovate standards, if anything she brought them down. Madonna has constantly and consistently been renowned for her subpar vocals. While Gaga has been credited for raising the bar, similar to Christina Aguilera.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lady-gagas-oscars-performance-reminds-777118

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7744316/with-million-reasons-is-lady-gaga-bringing-back-the-vocalist-era

https://www.becomesingers.com/singer-success/success-of-lady-gaga-singing-style

https://www.vox.com/2015/2/23/8094069/oscars-2015-lady-gaga-performance

https://www.classicfm.com/events/oscars/news/lady-gaga-oscars-performance/

As for Madonna's vocals?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markbeech/2019/05/20/why-madonna-may-have-last-commercial-laugh-over-eurovision-critics/#4409950a2854

Now, I personally will give Madonna a pass because with age your vocal chords do diminish it will happen to Gaga, Adele, Beyonce, Christina. Thats a fact. But then lets compare Oscar performances. And again I will take it easy on Madonna:

My fave:

You fave:

There is no competition. None at all.

For songwriting. Google all the songwriters that have worked with Gaga. You will find it hard to find one songwriter who says she is not all she is praised to be. DarkChild, Hillary Lindsey, BloodPop, Brian Newman, Madison Love, Morgan Kibby. You can google it to confirm and read the quotes.

Madonna absolutely impacted the music video world but she was outpaced and outperformed by the likes of Michael Jackson. Gaga flipped everything around in pop when she came onto the scene. The effects of her being "weird" as you guys call it are felt till this day. Thats why we have Billie Eyelash acting all weird and wearing outlandish stuff. That's why Grammy red carpets are people showing up in straight out avant garde halloween costumes instead of boring gowns. 

Look at the music videos Katy Perry and Kesha and Beyonce were releasing before Gaga and compare them to after Gaga. Her impact is undeniable. 

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/lady-gagas-bad-romance-changed-pop-2560244 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7548935/lady-gaga-pop-ambition-kanye-beyonce

I am not denying Madonna's impact. But you can't deny Gaga's either. Add onto all of this the awards Gaga has gotten that Madonna never did. Its clear to see talent is something Gaga trumps Madonna in. 

You can definitely compare and argue, but that Gaga has shined in places where Madonna has fallen flat is a fact. 

H38FPTM.gif

1 hour ago, melomelo said:

Let's do it. Madonna's legacy is what? Stunning visuals with subpar vocals? Pretty face with cute hits?

Gaga's legacy is being the one outlandish pop star that can actually sing. Oscar winner. Music video innovator. Superior songwriter. The list goes on.

sia5 

35 minutes ago, melomelo said:

Madonna definitely modified the blueprint that many female artists have followed. However, she definitely did not innovate standards, if anything she brought them down. Madonna has constantly and consistently been renowned for her subpar vocals. While Gaga has been credited for raising the bar, similar to Christina Aguilera.

For songwriting. Google all the songwriters that have worked with Gaga. You will find it hard to find one songwriter who says she is not all she is praised to be. DarkChild, Hillary Lindsey, BloodPop, Brian Newman, Madison Love, Morgan Kibby. You can google it to confirm and read the quotes.

Madonna absolutely impacted the music video world but she was outpaced and outperformed by the likes of Michael Jackson. Gaga flipped everything around in pop when she came onto the scene. The effects of her being "weird" as you guys call it are felt till this day. Thats why we have Billie Eyelash acting all weird and wearing outlandish stuff. That's why Grammy red carpets are people showing up in straight out avant garde halloween costumes instead of boring gowns. 

Look at the music videos Katy Perry and Kesha and Beyonce were releasing before Gaga and compare them to after Gaga. Her impact is undeniable. 

Its clear to see talent is something Gaga trumps Madonna in. 

Madonna brought standards down?  fall4 She was delivering quality with success for years. Just compare any cute pop star in the 80s or the 90s or the 2000s  to Madonna's work and you will realize who is the inferior artist.

Grammy's were ignoring Madonna for years until 1998. Now, the same awards are given to artists like candies and it doesn't matter if they deserved it.  Madonna slayed during COADF,  yet VMA's pretended it didn't exist.  VMA's became irrelevant af, while Grammy's must award the popular artists for basic stuff, because  that is the only way people will pay attention. eve1 

The standards for pop music have been lowered in general, like it or not.

Madonna has been praised for songwriting too, by many people.

Madonna's vocals were cute in the beginning, but they were definitely improved since True Blue era and nobody dragged her for vocals.  During Evita and ROL she got praised. 

Madonna has more WW hits than Michael Jackson and that is a fact.  jj2 

Maybe Gaga has better vocals, but I wouldn't change anything about Madonna's vocals. The emotions she provided through songs like Papa Don't Preach or Oh Father are incredible and she has been praised for that. Artist's vocals are useless if they can't express emotions, no matter how good they are. That's why many big vocal artists suck, because they just scream.  sia2 

Let's not act Gaga won with her talents, because Madonna dances better and has better lyrics. oprah14  Both are terrible actresses with some nice moments.

2 hours ago, melomelo said:

Let's do it. Madonna's legacy is what? Stunning visuals with subpar vocals? Pretty face with cute hits?

H38FPTM.gif

Gaga's legacy is being the one outlandish pop star that can actually sing. Oscar winner. Music video innovator. Superior songwriter. The list goes on.

H38FPTM.gif

Without Madonna none of the other girlies would be here sit down. She's not just a pretty face with cute hits. Learn your music history.

6 hours ago, Earth Ripper said:

Double standards are normal in stanbases but LMs really take it to a whole new level by just flat out denying they're using them in the face of the evidence gaga6 In that very OP the words "make no mistake, Madge is past those days and her last record flopped" are typed. I'd like to see that same feet-on-the-ground attitude in Gaga's fanbase more often lana6 If we're honest about our intentions then at least we can just have fun with these debates, not actually entertain embarrassing delusions for real sia5

these replies always send me lmfao2 ....it's stan wars king we all lose by participating

1 hour ago, harry said:

not the snobs. they're better than that. gaga1

you’re right gaga1 i’ll keep trying to develop the emotional maturity and wherewithal necessary to hopefully one day engage in intellectual debate over madonna vs gaga stan war threads ❤️

23 hours ago, melomelo said:

She's not a vocalist though omg why are you obsessed with coming at her from this angle brit12 Vocal standards are the only ones now? What about having something to say through pop music as a female artist? Through the medium of a music video? Through a performance? Those are things she did innovate and every single pop star with an ounce of fame right now would instantly admit to that (in fact, they already have), it's still beyond me why the fanbases of those people are in denial about what is entirely natural to admit for their favs brit4

Besides, it's not like Gaga will be remembered as a vocal icon. Trust me, she won't. She's a pop star who happens to be good at singing. Big whoop. She still doesn't hold a candle to any semi-respected Broadway singer, and she has tons of vocal competition among her peers too chi1 She won't win. Her technique is above average, to be sure, but not good enough to go down in the history books. While Madonna is going down in the history books for all the unique stuff she did do. Singing a song semi-decently is not unique. It makes her boring, if anything, because these days she's not doing anything special other than singing just fine kylie3 That won't translate into legacy, I'm afraid.

This same angle works for Madonna too, hilariously ny5 There's a truckload of statements of people who worked with Madonna (and legit people, not Timberlake or whatever) who explicitly complimented her for her astounding musical skill in the studio. You can Google it to confirm and read the quotes tay6

Ok, this is what I found:

lol

Let's face it, Gaga's "weirdness" only worked because there was room for it (again). We've gone through plenty of eras in the last few decades where "weird" music videos suddenly appeared and then went away again tay1 Gaga's "impact" is as relevant to note as it is relevant to note that Madonna reinstigated a temporary disco revival with Confessions. It's laudable and impressive, yes, but it's not a unique contribution whatsoever, since it's literally a rehash of something that's already been done (especially in the case of Gaga, since her "weirdness" was 100% referential to bygone decades, esp. the 70s and 80s) xtina6 If you're seriously claiming that Gaga is the one we should thank for bringing Billie to us, I mean I-... It's Ava Max that's representing Gaga's formula lol, not Billie. Billie's success is the result of alternative music becoming more and more mainstream, something Gaga did NOTHING to contribute to xtina11

You can definitely compare and argue, but that Gaga has shined in places where Madonna has fallen flat is a fact.

That is indeed a fact. But again: so what? Is that really going to cement her legendary status? Make her more respected and remembered than Madonna? No. Because it's not impressive. There's thousands of talented singers around, and plenty of them are WAY more talented than Gaga sass4 So where does that get you? Nowhere. If Madonna has fallen flat with her vocals sometimes, she still has released far more memorable, far more varied, far more emotional, and far more musically intelligent work than Gaga, and, sadly for you guys, the public knows that wendy3

18 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

She's not a vocalist though omg why are you obsessed with coming at her from this angle brit12 Vocal standards are the only ones now? What about having something to say through pop music as a female artist? Through the medium of a music video? Through a performance? Those are things she did innovate and every single pop star with an ounce of fame right now would instantly admit to that (in fact, they already have), it's still beyond me why the fanbases of those people are in denial about what is entirely natural to admit for their favs brit4

Besides, it's not like Gaga will be remembered as a vocal icon. Trust me, she won't. She's a pop star who happens to be good at singing. Big whoop. She still doesn't hold a candle to any semi-respected Broadway singer, and she has tons of vocal competition among her peers too chi1 She won't win. Her technique is above average, to be sure, but not good enough to go down in the history books. While Madonna is going down in the history books for all the unique stuff she did do. Singing a song semi-decently is not unique. It makes her boring, if anything, because these days she's not doing anything special other than singing just fine kylie3 That won't translate into legacy, I'm afraid.

This same angle works for Madonna too, hilariously ny5 There's a truckload of statements of people who worked with Madonna (and legit people, not Timberlake or whatever) who explicitly complimented her for her astounding musical skill in the studio. You can Google it to confirm and read the quotes tay6

lol

Let's face it, Gaga's "weirdness" only worked because there was room for it (again). We've gone through plenty of eras in the last few decades where "weird" music videos suddenly appeared and then went away again tay1 Gaga's "impact" is as relevant to note as it is relevant to note that Madonna reinstigated a temporary disco revival with Confessions. It's laudable and impressive, yes, but it's not a unique contribution whatsoever, since it's literally a rehash of something that's already been done (especially in the case of Gaga, since her "weirdness" was 100% referential to bygone decades, esp. the 70s and 80s) xtina6 If you're seriously claiming that Gaga is the one we should thank for bringing Billie to us, I mean I-... It's Ava Max that's representing Gaga's formula lol, not Billie. Billie's success is the result of alternative music becoming more and more mainstream, something Gaga did NOTHING to contribute to xtina11

That is indeed a fact. But again: so what? Is that really going to cement her legendary status? Make her more respected and remembered than Madonna? No. Because it's not impressive. There's thousands of talented singers around, and plenty of them are WAY more talented than Gaga sass4 So where does that get you? Nowhere. If Madonna has fallen flat with her vocals sometimes, she still has released far more memorable, far more varied, far more emotional, and far more musically intelligent work than Gaga, and, sadly for you guys, the public knows that wendy3

tenor.gif?itemid=5455494

@melomelo Also if I might add to what @Earth Ripper said... brit13

You ought to know that "critics" and "awards' wise it was a completely different climate during Madonna's time. Pop stars of Madonna's mold were not respected back then, but that's aside from the fact that 80% of the awards Gaga is winning now weren't even a thing during Madonna's reign. 

Best Dance Recording - 1998 (Madonna being the first to win it)

Best Dance/Electronic - 2005 (Madonna being the first to win it)

Best Pop Solo Performance - 2012

Best Traditional Pop Album - 1992 (two afters after Madonna released I'm Breathless so she missed her chance)

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc you get the memo ari5

On 6/16/2020 at 12:35 PM, SeekingThrill said:

Madonna brought standards down?  fall4 She was delivering quality with success for years. Just compare any cute pop star in the 80s or the 90s or the 2000s  to Madonna's work and you will realize who is the inferior artist.

Grammy's were ignoring Madonna for years until 1998. Now, the same awards are given to artists like candies and it doesn't matter if they deserved it.  Madonna slayed during COADF,  yet VMA's pretended it didn't exist.  VMA's became irrelevant af, while Grammy's must award the popular artists for basic stuff, because  that is the only way people will pay attention. eve1 

The standards for pop music have been lowered in general, like it or not.

Madonna has been praised for songwriting too, by many people.

Madonna's vocals were cute in the beginning, but they were definitely improved since True Blue era and nobody dragged her for vocals.  During Evita and ROL she got praised. 

Madonna has more WW hits than Michael Jackson and that is a fact.  jj2 

Maybe Gaga has better vocals, but I wouldn't change anything about Madonna's vocals. The emotions she provided through songs like Papa Don't Preach or Oh Father are incredible and she has been praised for that. Artist's vocals are useless if they can't express emotions, no matter how good they are. That's why many big vocal artists suck, because they just scream.  sia2 

Let's not act Gaga won with her talents, because Madonna dances better and has better lyrics. oprah14  Both are terrible actresses with some nice moments.

i didnt cite vmas. and i agree they are irrelevant. and ok madonna has more hits than michael jackson. that doesnt take away the fact that MJ has a music video preserved into the library of congress. something no one else has. in the prime of making music videos michael jackson did it better than madonna, but not that much better. madonna may have more meaningful videos i.e. like a prayer, like a virgin, vogue. but michael jacksons videos were better praised- he did play it safer no doubt. but i am going based off of accomplishments. 

you are absolutely wrong. how you excuse madonna for crap vocals is why i say she brought the standards down. prior to madonna the biggest female pop star was cher. cher can sing. to quote cher about madonna, "... she's unbelievably creative...  in my day i was pretty good at doing the same thing she is doing, but she does it so much better. but shes unbelievably creative because she's not unbelievably talented..."

this concept of the singer who cant sing songs is something ushered in by the 80s thanks to computerized integration of production software and vocoder effects- event harmonizer was invented in the 70s. madonna (and many more) took advantage so much so that it became so popular and autotune was birthed in the 1990s. madonna is the face of processed vocals because she was the most popular and successful artist, of course there are others, to use this extensively and heavily. so you see, madonna did in fact lower the bar because prior to this the only way a recording was used is if it was perfectly executed by the singer. and of course no singer is perfect so vocals often took DAYS. hundreds of attempts upon attempts. 

you can look all of this up yourself. 

madonna is a better songwriter? ok you can say lyricism- lyrics are words and words have different meanings for different people. i am talking about composition. arrangements. musical ability. gaga has madonna beat. gaga is a trained pianist. went to school for this. was hired as a songwriter before she got a record deal. her songwriting abilities speak for themselves in terms of accomplishments. madonnas only best songwriting attribute is her lyricism- i will forfeit that for the sake of your argument. all of madonnas songs span very very very similar arrangements and melody structure- they have too because madonna doesnt have the vocal ability to try and make a song like shallow. look what happened with ray of light live.

i make a big deal out of singing because at the core of their artistry is singing. hence why they are called singers. madonna makes songs, not movies. she sings, not dances for a living. she rose to fame and stardom by singing.

On 6/16/2020 at 1:15 PM, Gravity said:

Without Madonna none of the other girlies would be here sit down. She's not just a pretty face with cute hits. Learn your music history.

ooh ok. sorry about that resident music historian. 

giphy.gif

anyone can google this stuff beb. 

because madonna at the end of the day became famous for singing... duh.

and bingo! thank you for finally putting into words exactly what madonnas legacy really is: "Vocal standards are the only ones now? What about having something to say through pop music as a female artist? Through the medium of a music video? Through a performance? Those are things she did innovate and every single pop star with an ounce of fame right now would instantly admit to that (in fact, they already have"

you are 100% correct and if you would like to say gaga copied madonna in this regard, i wouldnt be particularly mad. though youd have to kind of also say madonna copied cher because cher also challenged the status quo of female artists with music videos/songwriting (thought she didnt write many of her hits): https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7801038/cher-gypsys-tramps-thieves-greatest-song#:~:text=Cher%20photographed%20in%201972.,a%20verse%20and%20a%20chorus.&text=But%20%E2%80%9CGypsys%E2%80%9D%20isn't,majestic%20pop%20hits%20ever%20made.

everything else you said is your subjective, completely biased, and quite frankly bitter opinion about gaga. since we are sharing opinions, my opinion is lady gaga will be remembered as the artist who brought singing back to the outlandish performance provocateur pop star archetype. 

copy and paste my response to someone elses post:

madonna is a better songwriter? ok you can say lyricism- lyrics are words and words have different meanings for different people. i am talking about composition. arrangements. musical ability. gaga has madonna beat. gaga is a trained pianist. went to school for this. was hired as a songwriter before she got a record deal. her songwriting abilities speak for themselves in terms of accomplishments. madonnas only best songwriting attribute is her lyricism- i will forfeit that for the sake of your argument. all of madonnas songs span very very very similar arrangements and melody structure- they have too because madonna doesnt have the vocal ability to try and make a song like shallow. look what happened with ray of light live.

lol

arent many of our favs themes rehashes? didnt madonna borrow from marylin monroe, marlene dietrich, and many others? i said this in a previous thread about hung up. what madonna does that probably no one else does as good is amalgamation, madonna has a fantastic mind for taking things that are good and making them better. the majority of the time. she took the small sample from ABBA and made a song much better than the one she sampled. she took looks from many other famous people and made them entire themes and iconic. i would never take that away from madonna and i would never be stupid to say she didnt popularize this idea. gaga took note and also does this. no one would say she doesnt and gaga herself has said this. but like madonna gaga took what was considered fringe and stupid or made fun of and made it popular. look at the red carpets from ten years ago:

2010-grammys-redcarpet.jpg

you cant deny the impact. people now show up with S&M gear and dressed like religious leaders and make statements on the red carpet with their get ups.

looks from grammys almost 10 years later:

img.jpg?width=980image.php?type=thumbnail_1024x576&url=0D

200126185225-16-grammy-red-carpet-fashio

billy-porter-grammys-285107-158008877195

etc.

most of this is opinion. gaga has 2-3 oscar performances that were universally acclaimed one of them shot her song to #1 and this has cemented her as one of the greatest vocalists we currently have. idk anyone who would argue against this. both what you said and what i said are opinions. her acclaimed performances however, are not. 

50 minutes ago, melomelo said:

all of madonnas songs span very very very similar arrangements and melody structure- they have too because madonna doesnt have the vocal ability to try and make a song like shallow. look what happened with ray of light live.

Dude, I respect your argumentative spirit in times where not talking about your opinions is deemed as the norm but this is so wrong. brit12

Madonna's musical landscape is far more diverse than Gaga's in terms of song structure and experimentation. While Gaga merely decorates her songs with references of sub-genres, she almost always succumbs to basic and generic structures/productions/arrangements to the point where she doesn't reach any form of legitimate experimentation and remains in the "Pop song" sphere if you know what I mean.  ari5 

Madonna is more brave than Gaga in that regard. You gotta give it to her.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.